Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Jamon Meredith | Offensive Line | South Carolina | 6'5" - 289 lbs.

OVERVIEW
Versatility is one of Meredith's best traits, along with his team-first work ethic. One of the smartest offensive linemen in the league, the fifth-year senior boasted a 3.74 grade point average, receiving the school's Harold White Award for his academic excellence last spring. As a sophomore, he was named the university's recipient of the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for FootbalL.

Meredith started 38 games during his career at South Carolina. During his time with the Gamecocks, he has lined up at both tackle positions prior to shifting to left guard as a senior. That move was brought about so that he could mentor Georgia Military Institute transfer, Jarriel King, as Meredith's familiar left tackle slot.

Meredith was a standout strong-side defensive end at Hillcrest High School, where he lettered three times under the guidance of head coach Wayne Garrick. He earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

Despite a banner senior prep season, Meredith was lightly recruited by the colleges. Former South Carolina offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo saw that Meredith had great athleticism when he recruited him at Hillcrest, the high school that produced former USC and current Carolina Panthers offensive lineman Travelle Wharton.

"He had that athletic ability like Wharton. He was long, he was lean and he was athletic," said DeGuglielmo, who is presently a coach with the Miami Dolphins. "He was low-key and had an even temperament - and i liked that about him," DeGuglielmo added. "i didn't want someone who was too excitable."

Meredith enrolled at South Carolina in 2004, spending most of the season acclimating to the right offensive tackle position on the scout team. He received his first collegiate game action in the seventh contest vs. Vanderbilt, but did not play the rest of the year.

In 2005, Meredith spent the first part of the season as a key reserve at both right and left tackle. He took over right tackle duties midway through the Arkansas clash, going on to start four games, including the Independence Bowl vs. Missouri. He finished the year with 34 knockdowns and six touchdown-resulting blocks, as the offense averaged 315.92 yards per game.

The following season, the Andrew Sorenson Scholar-Athlete Award winner started all thirteen games. He started the first seven contests at right tackle and the final six on the left side, delivering 62 knockdowns for the campaign. He was named Southeastern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Clemson, helping the Gamecocks improve their offense from a 100th-place ranking in 2005 to 20th in 2006 (395.0 ypg).

As a junior, Meredith earned ESPN Academic All-District honors and was named his team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman. Starting all twelve games at left tackle, he made 75 knockdowns and twelve touchdown-resulting blocks. He allowed just three quarterback sacks on 443 pass plays and also recorded three solo tackles, along with recovering a fumble.

Meredith started 2008 as a left tackle vs. Georgia, but then spent the rest of the year at left guard, finishing with nine starts. He posted 48 knockdowns and five touchdown-resulting blocks, as both Meredith and USC struggled, with the offense ranking 9ih nationally with an average of 316.54 yards per game.

CAREER NOTES
Meredith started 38 games at South Carolina, including eight at right guard, eleven at right tackle and 19 at left tackle.. .In his final two seasons, the lineman delivered 123 knock-downs, seventeen touchdown-resulting blocks and six down field blocks... During that span, he was penalized nine times (seven false starts, two holding calls).. . Allowed seven quarterback pressures and seven sacks on 753 pass plays...Also recorded four solo tackles and recovered one fumble.

2008 SEASON
Recipient of the Harold White Grade Point Average Award (3.7 gpa)... Meredith started nine of the eleven games he appeared in... Was the team's starting left tackle in his first 2008 appearance, vs. Georgia, and then shifted to left guard for the balance of the schedule... Recorded 48 knockdowns with five touchdown-resulting blocks and two down field blocks, grading 80.0% for blocking consistency... Penalized twice and allowed four quarterback sacks and two pressures... Part of a front wall that saw the Gamecocks slip to 9ih in the nation in total offense (316.54 ypg), 96th in scoring (20.77 ppg), 11 ih in rushing (94.08 ypg) and 111th in sacks allowed (3.00 spg).

2007 SEASON
ESPN Academic All-District selection... Started all twelve games at left offensive tackle, collecting 75 knockdowns while leading the Gamecocks with twelve touchdown-resulting blocks...Added four down field blocks as he finished with an 81.42% grade for blocking consistency... Was part of an offense that finished third in the Southeastern Conference and 3ih in the country in passing (258.17 ypg)...The ground attack struggled though, placing 101st in the nation with an average of 113.67 yards per game, as the front wall ranked 92nd in the country in sacks allowed (2.58 spg)... Also recorded three solo tackles, including one each vs. Mississippi State, Florida and Tennessee and recovered a fumble in the Georgia contest.

2006 SEASON
Presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football... Started all thirteen games, lining up at right tackle for the seven contests before taking over left tackle duties... Named the Southeastern Conference's Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Clemson... Registered 62 knockdowns and eight touchdown-resultin~ blocks, as the Gamecocks ranked 19th in the nation in passing (250.69 ypg), 21st in pass efficiency (146.55 rating) and 20 h in total offense (395.0 ypg).

2005 SEASON
Meredith played in every game, seeing action at both offensive tackle positions... Moved into the starting lineup at right tackle midway through the Arkansas clash, going on to start four late season games, including vs. Missouri in the Independence Bowl... Produced 34 knockdowns and six touchdown-resulting blocks, including eight knockdowns in his first career start, vs. Kentucky... Helped the team average 315.92 yards in total offense, 23.67 points and 220.75 yards passing per game.

2004 SEASON
Appeared briefly as a reserve offensive tackle in the team's seventh game of the season vs. Vanderbilt... Was granted a redshirt year by the NCAA.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
5.11 in the 40-yard dash... 1.80 10-yard dash...2.95 20-yard dash.. .4.78 20-yard shuttle... 7.87 three-cone drilL. ..28.5-inch vertical jump... 9'2" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times... 33 1/8-inch arm length... 9 7/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Hillcrest (Simpsonville, S.C.) High School, playing three seasons as a strong-side defensive end for head coach Wayne Garrick... Earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

PERSONAL
Graduated in May, 2008, with a degree in Sport and Entertainment Management, as he earned several academic honors by accumulating a 3.7 grade point average... Born James J. Meredith on 5/11/86... Resides in Simpsonville, South Carolina.

UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago
My Fav. pick of the draft. Nice tough/high pick OL and we got him in the 5th was projected in the 2nd or 3rd
Arles
15 years ago
Scouts Inc. Grade: 79 (high 3rd), #66 overall (#8 OT)

Overall Football Traits

Production 2
Meredith appeared in just one game and NCAA later granted him a red shirt year with the stipulation that he sit out the first two games of the 2008 season. He started four games at right tackle in 2005. Meredith started all 13 games  seven at right tackle and six at left tackle  in 2006. He started all 12 games at left tackle in 2007. Meredith started nine of the 11 games he appeared in during the 2008 season and lined up at left tackle and left guard.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Adequate bulk, adequate height and above-average top-end speed.

Durability 2
Injured ankle during 2008 preseason and re-injured it later in the year. Ankle injury limited him in three games but he didn't miss any games.

Character 1
Presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football during the 2006 spring game. Named the Outstanding Offensive Lineman in the spring of 2007. An ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District selection in 2007. Earned the Harold White GPA Award for the offense in the spring of 2008. Graduated with a degree in Sports Management and a 3.7 GPA in August of 2008. Has shown a willingness to line up at different positions.

Offensive Tackle specific Traits

Strength/Toughness 3
Plays with an edge, appears to have adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to finish blocks though inconsistent in this area. Shows above-average upper body strength in the weight room but rarely delivers a violent initial punch.

Agility 2
Overall agility is not elite but better than average. A quick, balanced athlete with good lateral mobility for size.

Awareness 2
Excellent experience playing at the highest collegiate level. Knows assignments and rarely shows hesitation. Especially skilled at recognizing blitzes/stunts in pass protection.

Pass Protection 2
Gets set quickly and gets excellent hand placement. Adequate arm length, locks arms out and can ride edge rushers past the pocket. Good balance and shows above-average body control but overextends on occasion and going to have a harder time recovering at the NFL level than did at the collegiate level. Doesn't always sink hips low enough and struggles to anchor working against powerful bull rushers.

Run Blocking 3
Rarely takes false steps and generally gets into excellent initial position but doesn't always stay lowing coming out of stance and has some problems rooting defenders off the ball when plays too high. Takes sound angles to downfield blocks and flashes the ability to get into position at the second level. However, base narrows and doesn't show the same body control in space as he does in the short area so he has some problems sustaining downfield blocks.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I'm psyched about this pick. Watching tape on him now. Have never heard of him before today but i like what i see.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
15 years ago
Great pick for a 5th round pick. This kid will be starter next year.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Pretty nice GPA.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what pos on the OL will he play you think?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dulak
15 years ago

Pretty nice GPA.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what pos on the OL will he play you think?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Not sure - I think in the brief interview he had he said he is a natural LT but atm we are fully open at RT.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

5th Round: Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
The Packers have taken a second offensive lineman on Day 2 of the draft, taking South Carolina tackle Jamon Meredith with their second fifth-round pick (No. 162 overall).

Meredith (6-foot-5, 304 pounds) has started at both tackle spots and left guard, where he spent most of his senior season last fall, when he was dogged most of the season by an ankle injury.

Here are his combine measureables:

40 Yard Dash : 5.03 seconds
Bench Press : 31.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 28.0 inches
Broad Jump : 105.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 8.01 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.82 seconds

The Packers have three picks remaining, two in the sixth and one in the seventh.

UPDATE, 2:24 p.m.: Here's the highlight reel ...

UPDATE, 2:29 p.m.: Meredith is on the phone. Here's what he's saying ...

* Long wait for him? "Yeah, it was very long."

* Disappointed how late he went? "I'm just happy to be on the team, man, happy someone took a chance on me and gave me the opportunity."

* Why think took so long? "I honestly don't know. ... It's cool, man, because I'm already picked up and it's all in the past."

* What's best position? "I'm a natural left tackle. I can play either side." Thinks can go inside also.

* What is his weight? 302.

* Play any guard in college? 10 games this past season.

* Why think lost left tackle in 2008? Didn't lose job. Had to sit out first two games.

* What was your suspension about? Wasn't a suspension. Had to sit out two games because played as a true freshman. Lost a year of eligibility, appealed it, and agreement said had to sit out 2 games.

* Why stop talking to the media during senior year? Offensive line coach said needed to avoid media.

* Will that continue in Green Bay? "No."

* Lot of negative things written about coming into draft. How will prove wrong? "Just by playing, man, just by people getting to know me. ... I've been doing that my whole career."

* Why think has reputation for being difficult to coach? "I have no idea. I don't understand that." It was opinion of coach who no longer is at school.

* Know much about situation in Green Bay? Like chances? "I haven't really looked too much into it yet. ... I'm versatile, so anywhere they need me, I'll fit in."

* Coaches say where fitting in? "No, not yet, but it's still early. Wherever they need me."

* Happy with strength, or need to get better? "No, everybody wants to get better."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
Glad he eventually fell to us. This is gonna be in one of those "Biggest Draft Steals Ever" lists.
This is a placeholder
Pack93z
15 years ago
Second round grade tackle falls to us... didn't watch much South Carolina ball, so I spent about an hour and a half reading and watching clips of this kid..

For value.. I rate this maybe as our best value pick of the draft.. Compared him to Robinson for a little bit last night.. this was the better pick IMO after watching limited clips of Duke..

Meredith can play this game.. between him and Lang we got ourselves 2 players.. Lang has excellent feet and technique.

Maybe the days of me pissed off at our line is coming to an end.. lol..

Colledge.. watch Lang play please. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (13h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (16h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (18h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (19h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.