Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I'm going to start from the top.

9 - BJ Raji, IMO it was raji or crabtree. Raji filled a need for a stout NT (a rotational player with pickett). I'm sure all of us will be eyeing crabtree the next few years to see how he plays; and he looks like a Great WR ... does he fullfill a need? not really. While Raji does.

So while I'm not as excited about raji as if we would of gotten crabtree; raji may help us win more ball games.

26 - Clay Matthews - Seems like a good kid, I personally liked clint sintim better for our OLB possability. But it appears Ted Thompson really wanted him and traded 2 3rd rounders for him. I wouldnt of felt so bad if it was one 3rd but both ... well. He looks like a good OLB player and a good ST player but not worth 2 3's.
I will wonder what we could of gotten with sintim and 2 3rd rounds instead thou.

109 - TJ Lang. Not much is known about him. Appears to be versitile and is really physical with his opponents. I like the pick.

145 - Quinn Johnson; a bit surprising ... our FB are something I actually have no complaints of. They perform their job well and even make some plays (catches/runs) here and there. This guy here looks like a BPA and something Ted Thompson couldnt pass on. He's more of a straight line hit and run power blocker and will be competition for the 2 spots. I was thinking Ted Thompson would draft a blocking TE but this guy is fine with me. Decent enough pick.

162 - Jamon Meredith ... ahhh ... this is the star of our draft IMO. Why? He's a 2nd round or early 3rd round pick that we grabbed in the 5th (a steal). He's also quite good and rated quite high on mocks and various boards. I was really hoping for 2 OT in the draft to hone up our Oline and we got 2 decent picks. I have a feeling he's going to be a star on our team.

182 - Jarius Wynn; this guy appears to be a gamble pick. From what I have read on him he started to get better his last 2 games and thats about it. He is a bit light for our needs as a 3-4 DE at 275. But again its a (let's see if he turns out to be decent in the future pick). I assume Ted Thompson used this guy as a BPA again. who knows ...

187 - Brandon Underwood; he seems alright; sounds like a fast/thin corner. Who knows maybe with watching some pros (harris/woodson) he'll get good.

218 - Brad Jones; dont know too much about him - watched a highlight video and he looked decent.

Overall - While I didnt get the picks I would of liked; Ted filled up the needs quite well.

With our new D coaching staff I can see our D being in the top 12 this year.

-although everytime I see crabtree make a great catch I'm going to wish he was on our team-
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I think overall, and not having a clue how any pick will turn out, it was a good draft. We needed some serious help in our defensive front seven and he went after that help. We needed O line, he got O line (including a possible gem in the 5th round). We could have used some depth in the secondary, he got it.

I differ with you on some specific points:

- I think, for the team's needs, Matthews is a better player than Sintim. If all I cared about was pass rush, I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but I don't think Sintim offers as much versatility as Matthews.

- IMO, we did not need to come out of this draft with any more than 8 players - I would have been fine with 7, really. The loss of an extra 3rd (even if it is the dreaded "Favre Pick") doesn't bother me one bit. On the contrary, I'm pleased that Ted did what he felt was necessary to get the consensus BPA/Need pick.

I agree with you about Meredith - that could turn out to be a very memorable pick. I like Lang, as well - brings some toughness and competition to the middle of the line. If either of these guys can maximize his potential and see the field next year, I predict a good-to-great year for the O line.

Of course, we'll have to see what happens once they start to work - but from a standpoint of addressing needs and getting talent where we needed it, I'm calling it a good draft.
blank
15 years ago
overall: stoked.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

PasckAttack001
15 years ago
I am very happy with this draft. Good job Thompson you surprised us all!
360 gamertag: jbone0001
msg me to play madden anytime! or left4dead.
dhpackr
15 years ago
Just from reading the bios of the players, it seems Ted Thompson tried to address some of the glaring weaknesses from 2008.

I think Raji will be an future all-pro, and will make some solid contributions to the defense in 2009.

with the addition of clay mattthews and Quinn johnson on special teams, Ted Thompson has hopefully made the special teams a better unit.

by selecting Meredith and Lang, Ted Thompson has covered the issue of taucher and clifton reaching the end of their careers in greenbay. I think both new offensive linemen may see some playing time in 09.

there is some controversy in Ted Thompson selections this year. not selecting crabtree, passing over everett bown, trading away three picks for matthews, when we could have stayed at 41 and got this player anyway.

I wish Ted Thompson had selected raji in round 1, everett brown in round 2, and te travis beckum in round three, but am not to upset with the clay matthews selection.

i do not think
Jarius Wynn
Brandon Underwood
Brad Jones
will ever make the team
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I am very happy with the draft. The areas that needed work, have been addressed. Capers now has the tools he needs to be very creative on D. Big buys, fast guys, strong guys, and combination guys. No telling what he can pull out of his bag of tricks.

Oline, looking forward to some stiff competition in camp. Looks like 13 Oline players on the roster now competing for the 5 starting spots. I see that there may no longer be a need for Colledge to be inside and can either just compete for one of the tackle spots or be a solid backup for both sides.

The rest are all players that add depth in the competition level for positions that were fairly strong already.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
How many Olinemen do you think we'll ultimately carry?
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
Overall... pretty nice!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

How many Olinemen do you think we'll ultimately carry?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I am thinking 9. I am hoping for 5 starters and having 4 backups that can cover multiple positions. 2 backups for Guard/C and 2 backups for T/G
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dhazer
15 years ago
No comment.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (59m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.