longtimefan
15 years ago

Thursday, Apr. 30
approx 5:00pm (video) NT B.J. Raji and LB Clay Matthews press conference (Tune In Live*)

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/packers_on_air_schedule/ 

Source Link 

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Apr. 30, 2009 4:59 p.m.

Green Bay - In a few minutes, first-round draft picks B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews will be introduced to the media as the newest members of the Packers.

It's a typical setup for the "special" press conferences the Packers hold. There is a table with black bunting. A Packer helmet is on each side. Two microphones.

We'll bring you some of their comments when they start in a couple minutes:

On initial reaction to Green Bay:

Matthews: "It's definitely a change from Southern California, I can say that. But it will be a definite change of pace that I'm looking forward to. I got to see Lambeau Field a little bit, not the field quite yet. But it looks like quite a prestigious place to play at. And speaking on behalf of both of us, we're both happy to be here and start contributing to this historic program."

Raji: "I'm a city guy, born and raised in New York City. I lived in New Jersey. So it's a little bit slower lifestyle, which I'm sure I'll get accustomed to."

On how they worked out together before the draft:

CM: "I had the privilege to working out with B.J. and a couple other athletes like Donald Brown, Eric Wood, Pat White so we definitely got a head start in the training process and working with B.J., you find out what type of guy he is. He pushes you day in and day out. So I was real excited, not only being represented by the same agency (Athletes First) but the type of guy that he is. He gave me a call right after I was drafted. We shared celebrations and we're just looking forward to come out here and meeting up once again."

BR: "When I found out Clay got drafted, I was so happy I actually called him and congratulated him. I know how hard he worked, what type of guy he is. He's a great guy to be around and a teammate."

Are you guys kids at Christmas?

CM: "I'm real giddy to get going. It's been four months of just training and rumors and mock drafts and this and that so it's nice to put that all behind us. But with all that behind us now comes a different set of pressure. I think we are like some kids in a candy store ready to get going and to make a name for ourselves.

BR: "Yeah, it's real exciting to play at such a prestigious organization like the Packers. It's something you only dream about. And when I got the call, I was shocked, man, that finally the day has come. I know lots is expected of me and I'm willing to work to get where I need to be to help this team win."

On becoming familiar with the Packers:

CM: "First I looked where Green Bay was on the map to find out where I would be for the next couple of years. After that went to wikipedia, started looking up the coaches, looking at their backgrounds and what not and just finding ways to familiarize myself with the team so when I came in it wasn't such a shock. Nevertheless it is, obviously, but I think we're that much more prepared.

On what his father and uncle have said about the Packers:

CM: "Just that it's a terrific organization. My uncle (Bruce) now works for the Texans and he was kind of upset that I didn't land with him. But at the same time when he had heard that I went to the Packers, he couldn't think of a better program to fall into, especially with the new 3-4 defense that we're implementing here. My style of play, I think it fits perfectly here. Everything about this program, really, I think it speaks for itself. They are excited. My uncle was able to play with Ted Thompson. Redman (Dave Redding) worked my dad out back in Cleveland so there are a lot of ties here with my family and I'm looking forward to it."

On goals as Packers:

BR: "I was talking with a d-line coach today and we were talking about where I would be playing. I'd be playing some nose tackle, some defensive end. As far as goals, the big thing for me is getting a grasp of the defense and understanding what the defense asks you to do. I'll try to do that. And if I'm ready opening day to start, obviously I would love to have that opportunity. But if I'm not, I'm willing to do whatever I need to do as far as getting this team ready to win some games."

CM: "My expectations are just to come in here and give it all that I've got, really. If that's enough to come out on day one and be a starter, so be it, I'm looking forward to that opportunity. I'm going to come out here and compete and I'm going to give everything I've got. If I can get on the field early and often, I'd love that."

On Raji playing defensive end:

BR: "Honestly, it was a bit of a surprise. I played some five technique (DE) in our defense in college. I stressed that to the Packers when we had a little meeting at the combine. I talked to the coach there. He doesn't want me to be deemed as just a nose tackle. He wants me to play some nose and some defensive end. Actually this week at mini-camp we'll be doing a little bit of that."

On Matthews playing the similar Elephant position in the USC defense:

CM: "I think it's real similar. At SC we ran a 4-3 however it had the principles of a 3-4 being that I was playing a stand-up defensive end or elephant. I was able to rush the passer a little bit more, drop into coverage -- just provide a little versatility to the game. And I think now that I'm in a true 3-4 system, now I can just use the skills I learned at SC and continue to develop them."

How important is it for you guys to come in and contribute right away given the positions you guys play:

BR: "I believe that attitude is altitude. And knowing Clay, I know that he has a workmans mentality as well as myself. The fact that we were both first-rounders doesn't change who we are as people. Nothing is going to change about us, not our approach to the game, not our work ethic. So I feel it's great for us to be in this position, to be first-round draft picks, but at the end of the day we know we have to work and earn our keep, so to speak."

CM: "There's definitely added pressure from being a first-rounder and the expectations you have. But I think it's nothing that we haven't experience in our college career. And like B.J. said earlier, we had to work for everything. The pressure that we put on ourselves is more than anything anybody else puts on us. I think that's the pressure to be successful and be the best and I think that's what we're going to come in here and do, just play to our ability."

Do you think people have a misconception of your character based on your positive marijuana test at BC and the false report from the combine?:

BR: "To be completely honest, I believe they do. It's a shame about the positive at B.C. I'm a man, that was a mistake that I made in the past which is the past. This is the present. But I kind of feel that what came about with Sports Illustrated, people that knew me, they know that's not what I'm about. But for people that never met me, the first time hearing about me that's the first perception they get? That was the kind of thing that bothered me with that. And the fact that I knew that it wasn't true and I just had to wait it out until the real results came out. At that time, only two doctors had the reports and me and Clay actually had the opportunity to talk with the doctors and they told me that everything is cool but we had to wait until the final results came out."

CM: "The same website actually reported that B.J. had tested positive for recreational drugs and me and my other teammate, Brian Cushing, had tested positive for steroids, which is completely false. Unfortunately in years past, people had to just wait it out and let the smoke clear and their names got damaged. No matter if you came out clean, people are going to think less of you as a person. So we were fortunate enough to be able to call both the administrators for the drug test and they were able to tell us, 'No, you didn't test positive.' So it was just a matter of shutting that down and letting people know what the real story is. It's unfortunate but I guess we're in this position that we are today and it wouldn't be happening if we weren't in this position. So you learn from it and grow from it, really."

You went to SC at 161 pounds?

CM: "No. That weight has been exaggerated tremendously. I want to set the record straight and say I was 228 coming into SC, after camp about 220. I just worked hard. I'd love for the writer of that article to come see how I train and live a day in my shoes and he can see how I put on this weight and whatnot. It's funny, just the other day I heard about how Aaron Curry was 195 pounds at Wake Forest when he first checked in. People can put on weight if they work hard. It's not that hard provided you have a workman's mentality....Fortunately and unfortunately Matthews are just late bloomers. Same with my dad and my uncle Bruce. We all, going into college, put on a tremendous amount of weight. Usually it's a little late in the recruiting process (was 166 as a high school junior) so you have to walk on here and there and make a name for yourselves. That's what I had to do. You can talk to anyone in that program and they'll tell you I'm one of the hardest workers. Not just in the weight room but on the practice field, watching film and they will tell you the type of character I possess....Was about 6 foot in high school. Probably the only college guy to actually grow in height, too, throughout college."

Both were refreshingly candid and honest. Good that Raji took the bullet for his positive pot test at Boston College. Matthews hit the steroid allegations head on.

- End -

go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Yup saw this yesterday. Wonder what they will have to say.

If someone finds a transcript somewhere after this is over, please do post it.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago
thanks for pointing this out!

getting ready to watch it here

... noticed that matthews held up a #52 jersey guess he's got a new number wonder if he choose it or was given to him
JRR_Packerfan1791
15 years ago
for some reason it wouldn't let me watch it 😞
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago

Yup saw this yesterday. Wonder what they will have to say.

If someone finds a transcript somewhere after this is over, please do post it.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

JS online-- Greg Bedaed blogs about press conference 
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
From the looks of this conference, Raji did not test positive for Marijuana at the combine and Matthews did not test positive for steroids. Great news!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Added the article into the first post.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I guess he wasn't allowed #47 because it isn't a linebacker number? If that's the case, neither is #74 for Kampman.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Sounds like they're both ready to get down to business and give it their all.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (4h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (17h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (23h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.