Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Another rookie goes down:

Falcons No. 1 pick Jerry sprains knee at camp 

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- The Atlanta Falcons can only hope that first-round pick Peria Jerry stays healthy in his rookie season.
Drafted 24th overall out of Ole Miss, Jerry left the early session of Atlanta's mini-camp Saturday morning with a sprained right knee and didn't return for the late-afternoon practice.
Jerry seemed to have caught his cleats in the grass after banging his knees together during a drill but was able to walk off the field under his own power. The Falcons were not wearing protective pads during the practice; each of the mini-camp workouts is non-contact.
Coach Mike Smith said the defensive tackle consulted a doctor, but the team does not yet know if the injury was serious. Jerry was not available to speak with reporters.
"That's all we know right now," Smith said Saturday night. Smith said the team should have an update Sunday.
Jerry has the potential to excite the Falcons' staff. He has the physical tools Atlanta seeks at defensive tackle, a position the Falcons must retool after 350-pound Grady Jackson left as a free agent two months ago.
He ran the 40-yard dash in 5 seconds, an impressive time for a 296-pound man, at his pro day at Ole Miss and led the Southeastern Conference last season with 18 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
Jerry had 32 tackles for minus yardage and 10.5 sacks during his junior and senior years.
Durability, however, is a concern. Before the Rebels' 2008 season opener, Jerry underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in the same knee he sprained Saturday.
He missed the NFL Combine because of a sore groin. An ankle injury sidelined him for four games as a freshman, and he underwent offseason foot surgery after appearing in eight games as a sophomore.
But he returned from the torn meniscus last September and started 11 of 12 games.
Though he's unlikely to practice in the last mini-camp session Sunday morning, Jerry will learn both tackle positions when he returns.
Smith is enamored with Jerry's "explosiveness off the ball." Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder believes Jerry, whom he describes as "a high energy, high effort guy," could help the Falcons move back the line of scrimmage with a hard style of play that could be "contagious and move through our defense."
The Falcons, who finished second in the NFC South last year at 11-5, were 24th in total defense in Smith's first year as coach. They ranked 25th against the run, 11th in scoring and 11th in sacks. Right end John Abraham finished with 16.5, third-most in the league, but VanGorder wants more production from a seven-man front that must replace nose tackle Grady Jackson and linebackers Keith Brooking and Michael Boley.
"The chemistry part is always a challenge each year, but any time you have a lot of new personnel to collectively bring them together with the same standards and expectations, I think that's something you're conscious of every day," VanGorder said. "You want them to be conscious of it."

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Rookie woes continue. According to Peter King :

I think if the Saints didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all. In a draft already skinned to the bone because of trades robbing New Orleans of its original second-, third- and fifth-round picks, the team had four choices. And the third of those four, linebacker Stanley Arnoux of Wake Forest, ruptured his Achilles running to the ball in minicamp over the weekend. If I were a free-agent, my agent would be peppering Mickey Loomis with calls now. I'd want in. The Saints are the NFL's Land of Opportunity now.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Ouch. I always hate to see injurys to rookies. Especially late round ones, as they don't have alot of time to prove themselfs, usually.

Raiders are having some short-term injury problems aswell. Nothing major though.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Wow what a way to begin your NFL careers. Torn ACL in the introductory mini camp, and a blown achillies to a linebacker that was running the ball, when that's not even his position.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
He wasn't running the ball -- he was running TO the ball. 😛
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

He wasn't running the ball -- he was running TO the ball. :P

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Haha, stupid me, I didn't see that ONE little word that can change everything haha.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.