Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Green Bay - For more than two months, they have been [img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*260/aaron52309.jpg[/img_r]watching film. They're probably seeing double from studying the playbook. They've even had a chance to hit the field for drills specific to their position.

But come Wednesday, the true work begins on the Great Defensive Transformation of the Green Bay Packers. That's when the entire unit will be on the field practicing for the first time as part of the monthlong organized team activities.

And there is much to be done as the Packers move fully from Bob Sanders' 4-3 scheme to the 3-4 pressure defense brought in by new defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

"This next month is critical to this defense," said ESPN analyst Merril Hoge, who often made it a point to pick the brains of Capers and current Pittsburgh coordinator Dick LeBeau when all were on the Steelers in the early 1990s. "The foundation that will be laid will likely determine how the Packers do this season. They have to get on the same page. And fast. There's so much to learn. It's very complicated to master."

That wasn't the case with the former scheme, which is part of the reason coach Mike McCarthy jettisoned it after his third season. The Packers were predictable to both themselves and opposing offenses.

No longer.

As versatile and complicated as Capers' scheme will be to opponents, it will be just as hard to digest and comprehend for the Packers.

"There wasn't a lot of thinking involved in what they were doing before because they just lined up and played man," Hoge said. "There will be more thinking to this defense. Dom is an excellent teacher though. He's tremendous at getting it across and getting it across fast. The quicker that they can absorb this will be really important to them. There will be more thinking in this defense than what they just dealt with."

How quickly the Packers make the transformation likely will tell the tale of their season.

"It's not so much you're thinking at the time you do it, you're thinking where are you going to be in two years," said Charley Casserly, who as general manager worked side-by-side with Capers to build the expansion Houston Texas. "Give yourself a year or two to get there. There's a learning curve in it, but I don't think you could say it's one game, 16 games, 32 games. That depends on how the players handle it."

The Packers will try to flatten out the curve starting this week. To do that, each player and each position will have to quickly adapt to new techniques. What follows is a look at what each position is facing as they try to get the Packers back into the playoffs after a disappointing 6-10 campaign:

NOSE TACKLE

Old job: In the 4-3 defense, the Packers used two defensive tackles to occupy the center and two guards. The primary responsibility of the tackles was to take up blockers so the linebackers could make plays stopping the run. Any pass rush was a bonus.

New job: There is only one "tackle" is this defense. He should be the strongest person on the defense because he must occupy at least two offensive linemen on each play in the base defense. If he fails, then the center and/or guards will have no trouble wiping out the two inside linebackers.

Biggest adjustment: "You're not going to be making the plays you used to make," said former Packer Gilbert Brown, who played a similar position in Fritz Shurmur's defense in the 1990s. "You're going to be getting constantly pounded on for the whole game. One of your first things is make sure you're holding up these guys so your linebackers can roam and get free. You can't get pushed out of there; you have to stay low. There's a lot of different things involved. It's similar to what they've been doing, but now it's like you have no help in there now. You have no one to take the heat off of you. Now you're on an island and you've got three warships coming at you."

Players affected: Ryan Pickett (starter), B.J. Raji, Brian Soi, Anthony Toribio.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

Old job: Pretty simple. Rush the passer on passing plays. They were the designated sackers. Set a hard edge against the run.

New job: Be much more of a worker bee. They must occupy blockers to make the run defense and pass blitzes work. The ends will not be counted on as much for sacks. The blitzing linebackers and/or safeties will fill whichever gap the end is not in to generate pressure. Ends play much like tackles in the old scheme.

Biggest adjustment: "It's a very unselfish position," said Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "In college or in the pros, those guys are used to getting to the quarterback. That's their goal. Now they might not get a sack for several games. That's hard to adjust to for certain guys. But they are very important to the defense. They must be strong and hold the line."

Players affected: Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly (starters), Justin Harrell, Michael Montgomery, Alfred Malone, Jarius Wynn, Ronald Talley.

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

Old job: The Sanders scheme had only one middle linebacker, Nick Barnett as the Mike, and he was designed to be the playmaker. With two defensive tackles up front, Barnett was allowed to run free and make tackles from sideline to sideline.

New job: Barnett and A.J. Hawk, who was the starting weak-side linebacker in the 4-3, essentially switch positions. Hawk will play more of the Mike role with an emphasis of attacking the run and blitzing. Barnett will have more coverage responsibilities.

Biggest adjustment:
"The hardest thing for Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk is at some point they have to learn to hit and get away from people," said Brian Noble, the former Packers inside linebacker in both the 3-4 and 4-3 from 1985-'93. "In a 3-4 defense, you have to take linemen on and what these guys have been used to in a 4-3 is that they just fly around and make plays. They never had to really take anybody on. They were protected by all the big tackles they had in front of them. When you get into that 3-4 and those offensive linemen start pushing and combo blocking, the linebackers are going to have to come up and hit somebody and not only stop them in their spot but hold their ground and get off them and make a play. And to me that's going to be the hardest thing. The past couple years, if they got a guy on them they were screwed."

Players affected: Barnett and Hawk (starters), Desmond Bishop, Brandon Chillar, Danny Lansanah, Spencer Havner.
LEFT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Old job:
In the 4-3 scheme used by Sanders, Aaron Kampman was a defensive end whose primary responsibility was to rush the passer. On a few occasions, he was asked to drop into zone pass coverage.

New job: It will depend on how the defense is lined up. Most of the time, Kampman will be asked to rush the passer. Kampman is a creature of habit, and he has been one of the league's best at rushing the previous seven seasons. The Packers want to make the transition as comfortable as possible for him. But he's also going to have to drop into coverage more often and read the offense to figure out his responsibility.

Biggest adjustment: "The hardest part is probably having to drop back into coverage and opening your hips up to be able to move like that," Miami Dolphins linebacker Jason Taylor said about the similar switch he made in 2005. "It is a lot different then lining up as defensive end and going forward and chasing the quarterback or chasing the ball carrier. You have to play with your pads over your knees and your knees bent and play low and still come out with power and be able to drop back and move around in zones. It is not an impossible position; it is just a little different when you have been doing one thing for so long.&ensp.&ensp.&ensp.It is a completely different position than I have played in the past."

Players affected: Kampman (starter), Jeremy Thompson, Brad Jones.

RIGHT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Old job: The strong-side linebacker in the old scheme was asked to take on blockers at the point of attack against the run, and to cover the tight end on pass routes.

New job: This is a new position that will blend new and old techniques. Undoubtedly the right outside linebacker will be asked to blitz more than in the past. But how versatile the job description will be likely will depend on how adept Kampman is at dropping into coverage on the other side.

Biggest adjustment: "We did the same thing with Kevin Greene (now a Packers assistant) and Greg Lloyd," said former Steelers fullback and current ESPN analyst Merril Hoge. "They were left and right also. The guy on the right side is going to need to be able to recognize when the offense is setting protection to Kampman's side. When that happens, Dom Capers is going to bring him. The Packers will ask that guy to blitz a lot more than they have in the past. There's a technique to that."

Players affected: Clay Matthews/Brady Poppinga (starter), Chillar.

CORNERBACKS

Old job: One of the biggest keys to the Sanders scheme was the ability of the corners to play press, man-to-man coverage. The Packers had two of the best in Charles Woodson and Al Harris, so that enabled the team to commit more defenders to stopping the run.

New job: While Capers is likely to keep some press coverages, the starting point for the cornerbacks will be to play 5 yards off the receiver at the start of the play. Man or zone can be played from there. Woodson and Harris will have to read the quarterback more. Timing will be much more important.

Biggest adjustment: "They're going to have to understand, where is the pressure coming from?" Hoge said. "That's why it's so important that teams and players study tape and understand where does a team go hot (against blitzes)? What do they do under these types of pressure? Where do they try to go with the ball? What is the routes they try to run from these things? All of these things become important. A corner in this scheme can be a great corner if he understands where the pressure is coming from and what the offense tries to do to counter that pressure."

Players affected: Woodson and Harris (starters), Tramon Williams, Will Blackmon, Pat Lee, Joe Porter, Brandon Underwood, Joshua Abrams.

FREE SAFETY

Old job: Most of the time the free safety stayed back as the last line of defense and was free to jump coverages as he saw fit. Provided run support if the back got past the linebackers.

New job: Takes over for the middle linebacker as the quarterback of the defense. Free safety must make all the calls to the keep the defense on the same page. Pass and run responsibilities remain the same but stays deeper more often.

Biggest adjustment: "The offense may come out of the huddle and the defense may anticipate a certain formation they want to blitz," Hoge said. "But the offense will motion it or shift and change the strength of it. Well somebody has to make that adjustment; somebody has to tell the defense what's going on and what changes are going to need to be made or who now becomes the blitzer. It's fairly sophisticated and can be somewhat complicated. That's why you need an intelligent player back there to orchestrate those types of thing because you don't just come out of the huddle in this defense and say this is what we're doing no matter what."

Players affected: Nick Collins (starter), Anthony Smith, Charlie Peprah, Jarrett Bush.

STRONG SAFETY

Old job: To be an extra linebacker in the box and to provide coverage help, usually against the tight end. Had to be adept at making open-field tackles against running backs.

New job: One of the playmakers on the defense - think Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Is a mainstay in the box and likely will be asked to blitz often. Has to anticipate and cover for mistakes made by the front seven.

Biggest adjustment: "He will be a guy who can play in the box well, times things well, disguises things well, there are a lot of things that he must do well," Hoge said. "Not just cover well and tackle well. He has to disguise things well, he has to blitz well, play the point of attack and the timing of it all. He's probably one of the most important factors with the pressures."

Players affected: Atari Bigby (starter), Aaron Rouse.

This looks really freaking in depth! Bravo Greg!
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
It is a good article explaining the changes and how there is virtually no bump and run with the corners playing outside the 5 yard bump area.

As you read it you begins to realizes just how much rebuilding and time it will take to make the transistion. I can only see Barnett as a prime weak spot on defense as he has not proven himself taking on O-linemen to date. He is too small.

Nick Collins refusal to participate in the learning process this off season is particularly disturbing. Note what Merrill Hodge said

"The offense will motion it or shift and change the strength of it. Well somebody has to make that adjustment; somebody has to tell the defense what's going on and what changes are going to need to be made or who now becomes the blitzer. It's fairly sophisticated and can be somewhat complicated. That's why you need an intelligent player back there to orchestrate those types of thing because you don't just come out of the huddle in this defense and say this is what we're doing no matter what."

Collins low Wonderlic score and past performance should leave people concerned.

There will be screw ups and big plays against this defense.

OTA's and Training camp cannot afford to waste anytime. Early in the season it will look like the team took a step back. Hopefully by the end of the season they will be playing it like a playoff team.

Raji will slowly working into it. Jolly should do well. But look for Barnett to get traded in the next 2 years and Collins will be let go because of his weaknesses.

2 more drafts before this system gets perfected.

It is a huge change.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
ya this is a Great article!

thanks for sharing it.

I'm a bit concerned that we are dropping our man to man for our corners (well for the most part); our guys harris and woodson do so well with man to man.

Sounds like the 3-4 is much more versitle then a 4-3; meaning they will come at you no matter what. ie kampman gets taken on they send in the ROLB and vise versa. The LBers in this scheme play a much bigger roll.

I cant wait to see the likes of jenkins, raji and pickett as our up front 3 - talk about a line. I dont exactly like pickett but at least he's big and does his job.

California cheez; I dont see a problem with barnett in this new package. Well assuming his knee is alright; he will be asked to drop into coverage more (which he does better then hawk). If you look at his stats barnett has made the most tackles until his injury.
14 years ago
Barnett has always needed a big body in fron of him to absorb blockers. He can only be as good as a guy like Raji can make him.

It may not be as bad as I think but it very well could be.

The article points out that it just isn't so simple. I hope Capers can tailor it to the personnel he has. To find out that will require experimentation during the preseason. Sometimes experiments fail.

I'm not so concerned about failures in the preseason as both the coaches and players can learn from it. I'm more concerned about the first 3 weeks f the season.
blank
djcubez
14 years ago
Honestly this is one of the better articles I read this off-season. I thought it was interesting that the Packers played such a simple scheme that, despite the fact they were good at it, was too predictable for opposing offenses. It makes you think more about defense as an offense like the Steelers under Mike Tomlin, or Rex Ryan's Ravens. I wonder how the Jets will improve too, top 10 defense is likely but the offense is the concern.
14 years ago

Nick Collins refusal to participate in the learning process this off season is particularly disturbing.

"CaliforniaCheez" wrote:

He could definitely use all of the time available to learn to be the QB of the defense, but I thought he was spending SOME time there talking with coaches etc.?
UserPostedImage
doddpower
14 years ago

Barnett has always needed a big body in fron of him to absorb blockers. He can only be as good as a guy like Raji can make him.

It may not be as bad as I think but it very well could be.

The article points out that it just isn't so simple. I hope Capers can tailor it to the personnel he has. To find out that will require experimentation during the preseason. Sometimes experiments fail.

I'm not so concerned about failures in the preseason as both the coaches and players can learn from it. I'm more concerned about the first 3 weeks f the season.

"CaliforniaCheez" wrote:

Well, with the recent speculation of our starting D-Line, Barnett WILL have big bodies in front of him. Jenkins, Pickett, and Raji on half the plays or less, and the a standard 4-3 on the other half. This article is talking about a TRUE 3-4, which we won't be running the majority of this time this season (from what Capers has said). I'm not sure why many people aren't quite understanding this.

Also, our nose tackle should take up two blockers most plays, and one of the defensive ends should be taking up two as well, so that's all 5 offensive linemen right there. That only leaves a tight end (s) for Barnett and Hawk to deal with which is the way it should be. They'll be able to handle those good enough. If our line in fact is some combination of Jenkins, Pickett, Raji, it might very well take all 5 offensive linemen, AND a tight end to account for those guy, especially with Kampman coming off the edge. That's a LOT of mass to block.

As long as those guys up front play decent, the LB's will be fine. With that being said, I'm not going to say that Barnett won't be traded in a year or two, but I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as everyone thinks . . . especially considering the hybrid defense we'll be running for the next couple of years ...
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
Nick Barnett has similar size as Steelers LB James Farrior and Farrior has done a great job in the 3-4 scheme. So size should not be the issue.

Barnett: 6-2 236 lb
Farrior: 6-2 243 lb
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
nah uh. that 7 pounds is gonna make a HUGE difference.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago
Collins needs to get his act together real quick.
blank
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (7h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (13h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (14h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (14h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (17h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (17h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (17h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (18h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (18h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.