Dulak
14 years ago
Oh man I cant even watch that video - that F%^&* guy making faces like a chimp (showing his teeth) and wierd grins looking at the camera (behind kampman).

-besides this-

I can sum up the interview with 3 words
"I'm leanring it"

So do you like the defense ... I'm learning it
Do you think you will do well? ... I'm learning it

argg
-I know he plays on defense but he sure was defensive in the interview-
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
He raises a good point. How can he know that he likes the new system until he learns it? Also, all these interpretations put forth are the reporters' own opinions.

By the way, in case no one caught it, when someone asked him if there was any "hesitancy," he said unequivocally, "NO."

These reporters badgering him with the same questions over and over piss me off. That one female reporter sounded so needy . . . "give us something." Ugh. Jesus, he doesn't owe you anything.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

Asked if he was hesistant to play in the new scheme, he said no, that was "something the media has talked about."

bozz_2006
14 years ago
or maybe he's been having a family issue. You know, a Nick Collins "contract" issue. seriously, you guys are reading way too much into this. and so what if he's not happy. Are you guys always happy with your job? Especially when you've worked hard for years to master the job, then management makes "a change"? I mean, a person can see the positives in a change and at the same time be unhappy about the process. Like, when I was a kid, I wanted to grow up and get tall, but my joints ached like crazy for a year. I was psyched to be getting bigger/taller, but the process sucked.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Oh, and some of the questions were fucking moronic. He states, clearly and decisively, that he hasn't lost weight and yet TWO MORE REPORTERS persist in asking him questions about his weight.

I don't understand how these guys hold down their jobs.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago

Oh man I cant even watch that video - that F%^&* guy making faces like a chimp

"Dulak" wrote:

Howard Cosell is alive..... living with Elvis, and a member of Packers Home.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Stevetarded
14 years ago
He obviously would rather play 4-3 DE because that's what he is and he is one of the best. Why on earth would he want to change that and why would anybody expect him to want to?

That being said he knows what his job is on the team and if there is one person I am not worried about when it comes to doing their best for the team its Kampman. If he wants to go back to a 4-3 DE after this year then I am sure he will be traded and if it works out he will probably get a nice contract from us.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
+1. the truth.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I like what Kevin Seifert has to say about the interview. Very even-handed, in my opinion:

What Kampman didn't say

June 3, 2009 5:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

I just listened to all 6 minutes and 34 seconds of Aaron Kampman's first interview since Green Bay moved him to linebacker in its new 3-4 defense. (Listen for yourself here.)

I've only spoken to Kampman a handful of times and won't profess to be an expert on his relationship with the local media. But I've been in enough group interviews to know Kampman's short, somewhat terse answers were reflective of a player who came armed with neutral talking points and wasn't going to get tricked into expressing an opinion with more expansive answers.

* Asked about the Packers' new scheme in any number of ways, Kampman kept returning to this: "Historically, the 3-4 has been a sound defense."
* Asked whether he liked playing linebacker, or if he was upset by the position change, or if it was a good idea, Kampman said multiple times: "I'm learning it."
* The most direct question came when Kampman was asked if he would still be a defensive end in the 4-3 if it were up to him. Kampman's response: "I'm not at liberty to make those choices."

Throughout the entire interview, I don't think Kampman said anything that could be construed as an opinion or an expression of feeling. He never said he was upset and he never said he was happy. At one point, he noted outside linebacker coach Kevin Greene's mantra that he must play tough against the run, must rush the passer well and must be able to drop into coverage. Pointedly, Kampman never said whether he thought he could do all three at an NFL level.

"I'm learning it," Kampman said. "I don't really have a whole lot else to say."

I've advocated caution in jumping to conclusions based on Kampman's refusal to speak to reporters this offseason. So what conclusions can we draw now that Kampman has given an interview? He sounded to me like a player who is trying his best to keep an open mind, even if it's against his own best judgment and instincts.

UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
My impressions:

- No, he's not happy about it. Why would he be? I've done my current job very well for 9 years - if they came and told me I needed to learn a brand new job and had no choice in the matter, I wouldn't be happy about it. And if they told me this right before the year where my performance dictated my future pay or even my future chance of employment, I REALLY wouldn't be happy about it.

- He's clearly determined to do it, and give his all. He is not going to complain publicly about it, or confirm anything about his displeasure - he's going to put his nose to the grindstone and do what it takes to get the job done. He's the very same guy we've all had the pleasure of rooting for, and his back's against the wall. So he's going to do what he's always done, and make it happen through sheer force of will and determination. Okay, I'm getting overly poetic here, but you get the point. Dude isn't going to complain, and he isn't going to quit. Good sign, I think.

- He strikes me as someone who - whether he's been more friendly to the press before or not - isn't really into being grilled in front of his locker. Perhaps last off-season's fiasco influenced his opinion of the press, and perhaps the fact that the people grilling him have been saying he can't make the adjustment since the Pack hired Capers has also soured him a bit. Notice in the piece quoted above, she goes to great lengths to describe his "failures" in a few plays, and then only briefly and superficially acknowledges the fact that a few plays, viewed out of the context of the overall play, mean nothing. She paints him out as a schmuck, when for all we know his job was to hold Barbre up and he was doing so. There's no way he appreciates the way the local press has handled this - no way. So why the fuck would he want to talk to them? Aaron's an old-fashioned guy who shows respect to everyone - did y'all catch the attitude those reporters were giving him? Where's his respect? As far as I'm concerned, he was amazingly gracious to them - I woulda punched one of 'em, probably more.

In summary: IMO, everyone's right, to some extent. He's not happy - and I don't think we need a direct statement to that effect to know it. However, he's pretty obviously as, if not more, unhappy with how the press is portraying his adjustment.

BUT. He's also pretty clearly determined to make it work, so I'm not going to count him out. Dude is nails - he'll get it done.
blank