longtimefan
14 years ago
The link 

No ifs, ands or buts Ryan Grant needs to break more tackles.

Yes, the Green Bay Packers offensive line can do a better job of finishing blocks at the second level. Coaches continue to tweak the zone-blocking scheme, too.

But when it comes to those one-on-one, mano-a-mano showdowns with a linebacker or safety, Grant more often needs to break the first tackle. Or make that tackler miss. Whatever it takes to turn some of those 5- and 10-yard runs into game-breakers.

Its been a point of emphasis throughout this offseason.

Packers coaches have aimed to make their No. 1 running back more elusive and more resilient at the point of contact, with hopes of reviving the big-play ability Grant so rarely displayed last season.

Theres no other way to put it, Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said recently. We try to not run the ball where theyve got extra guys that are just sitting there, and theres some excellent defensive coaches.

But at some point in time, youve got to make some guys miss. Youve got to run through some arm tackles. And Im not saying we didnt do that at all we did, but weve got to do that more. Weve got to do a better job at the second level.

The strained hamstring Grant sustained in training camp played a part in his reduced explosion, particularly the first half of last season. Although he graded out highly for decision-making, Grant sometimes lacked the initial burst to get through the hole, and he pulled up on his season-long 57-yard run in the opener against Minnesota because of concern about the injury.

Even after the hamstring healed, though, Grant wasnt a home-run threat. Only 23 of his 312 carries were explosive runs of 12 yards or more, and only two went for more than 22 yards down from 11 in 10 games during his breakout 2007 season. Accordingly, Grants per-carry average plummeted from 5.1 to 3.9, casting a shadow over his 1,203 rushing yards, which ranked ninth in the NFL.

The Packers offseason study into the drop in explosive plays revealed multiple problems beyond the line of scrimmage.

Blockers initial movement generally was sufficient on the zone plays that form the core of the Packers run scheme. But too often, linebackers shed blocks or caused enough disruption to stunt run plays before they could get into the secondary.

When the blocking was there, the Packers rushers particularly Grant, who received 85.2 percent of the carries by halfbacks too often went down on first contact, even when that contact was little more than a couple fingers on an ankle.

According to the independent research firm Stats, Grant broke 16 tackles last season in 324 opportunities on run plays. Only three backs Atlantas Michael Turner, Minnesotas Adrian Peterson and Washingtons Clinton Portis had more opportunities, but Grant ranked 31st among 49 backs who had at least 100 carries with a broken-tackle rate of 4.9 percent. That was down from 6.3 percent in 2007, and even that seems a little low for a back of 6-foot-1 and 226 pounds.

By comparison, Turner (10.9 percent) and Peterson (9.5 percent) led the NFL with 44 and 37 broken tackles, respectively. Not coincidentally, they also ranked 1-2 in rushing yards.

Thats a big part of his game, as far as being explosive, running backs coach Edgar Bennett said of Grants ability to exploit one-on-one opportunities.

He is an explosive runner. He is the type of guy that has that burst and speed to take it the distance, to be a home-run threat. Thats a very big asset he has. Were certainly looking forward to getting him back to that level.

Bennett wouldnt speak to how the Packers plan to do that, saying only there are a few other little tools that were adding to his toolbox.

Though its next to impossible to make judgments about the run game during unpadded, noncontact workouts, Bennett believes Grant is benefiting from participating in the Packers offseason practices for the first time.

Unlike last summer, when he was a spectator all spring while awaiting a new contract, Grant can carry over the lessons from the classroom to the practice field and work daily on fundamentals. That includes an ongoing emphasis on picking up his knees, creating in space and being decisive in his reads and course.

Last week, coach Mike McCarthy noted theres a lot of competition behind Grant, but he stopped short of saying third-down back Brandon Jackson or someone else might take on a larger ball-carrying load this season. The four-year contract Grant signed in August continues to pay him like a featured back, with $3 million in bonuses due on top of his $1.25 million base salary this year.

It also remains to be seen if any dividends will be seen from a revamped offensive line and an evolving run scheme that has incorporated more power (man-to-man) concepts.

For Grant, the focus is being consistent and healthy two things with which he admits he struggled last season.

Asked if his goal is returning to his 2007 form, Grant responded, Performing at a higher level than 07 performance. Be at the highest level to help this team win.

edit by Zero2Cool - added closing quote
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I'm excited about Ryan Grant this year. I think and hope he does very well.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I think all the Ryan Grant "doubters" will be back on the bandwagon this season... just have that easy feeling about our running game this season..

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Water almost always settles at its original level.

Let's not forget where Grant was when the Packers picked him up. Fact is he had one good half of a season. I think he is over rated by Packer Fans.

Oh.. I am praying he comes back to his form he was in two years ago. I wish him well, but let's face it.

He is going to get way more opportunities than he perhaps would have, had he not capitalized on the Favre Saga and Ted had not over paid for this guy. I hope that does not hold back the young guns at R.B. but I think it will.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
warhawk
14 years ago

Water almost always settles at its original level.

Let's not forget where Grant was when the Packers picked him up. Fact is he had one good half of a season. I think he is over rated by Packer Fans.

Oh.. I am praying he comes back to his form he was in two years ago. I wish him well, but let's face it.

He is going to get way more opportunities than he perhaps would have, had he not capitalized on the Favre Saga and Ted had not over paid for this guy. I hope that does not hold back the young guns at R.B. but I think it will.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

It's obviously a big year for him. The thing about it is the guy is big enough yet he also can break away and that combination is hard to find.

Yet it is puzzling he was so good in '07 and so average in '08. I would be more concerned if he were older and it was a sign he was running out of gas but that's not the problem. It would be understandable if he had a major injury but that's not the case either. He should have been fine in the last part of the season with the hamstring.

Just looking at the two years he seemed to be able to start out left and find cutbacks for big gains angling right in '07 but we just did not see it that often last year.

It will be interesting to see how it works for him if they do incorporate more power run schemes and it sound McCarthy might be leaning to put more of that in the game plan.

I think both Wynn and Lumpkin would like that. Both those guys are physical and hit the hole hard. I think the odd man out there would be Jackson although I like the way he runs when he's given a chance.

At the end of the day this is a passing team first and should be with the talent there. As hard as teams try to get balance if your not committed to being a very good run first team with a great RB and good run blockers I think you can only get so much out of that phase of the offense.

It's great to strive for being great at both the run and the pass but the reality of it is most teams ultimately end being more effective in one or the other. So for me if we can get a little better production out of the run game I'm happy. Great passing 0 + decent run game= lots a points.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"RaiderPride" wrote:

His contract is based on incentives.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

It will be interesting to see how it works for him if they do incorporate more power run schemes and it sound McCarthy might be leaning to put more of that in the game plan.

I think both Wynn and Lumpkin would like that. Both those guys are physical and hit the hole hard. I think the odd man out there would be Jackson although I like the way he runs when he's given a chance.

At the end of the day this is a passing team first and should be with the talent there. As hard as teams try to get balance if your not committed to being a very good run first team with a great RB and good run blockers I think you can only get so much out of that phase of the offense.

"warhawk" wrote:

McCarthy said more power but still mostly zone. So the more zone helps Jackson and Jackson is the best pass catcher and as you said passing team first.

Also McCarthy has said he would rather be a run first team in the past. (though I'm not sure he meant it but anyways) This would be the best time to make the switch if you were going to do it, with Wells out Spitz move over and add in Sitton this is the best inside OL the Packers have had in a while and with a new RT and Clifton not looking so good last year pass blocking maybe harder.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago

"SlickVision" wrote:

His contract is based on incentives.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

How Much of it?

Anyone have the details of his contract?
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
14 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29408834.html 

Running back Ryan Grant scored a major victory in his negotiations with the Green Bay Packers, agreeing to terms on a four-year contract loaded with incentives and escalators that could earn him $30 million, according to his agent, Alan Herman.

"He's very happy," Herman said.

"It's been a dream year for him."

Grant will fly to Green Bay today, sign the contract and undergo a physical. He probably won't take part in the intrasquad scrimmage tonight, but he should be in uniform when practice resumes at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

The Packers started out offering only a $1.75 million signing bonus, but Herman was able to negotiate a deal that will pay Grant a $3 million roster bonus when he signs the contract and another $1.25 million this year through base salary ($750,000) and another roster bonus ($500,000).

Thus, Grant will earn $4.25 million in 2008. Over two years, his take will be $8 million.

Herman said that there are many layers of incentives and escalators that will compensate Grant handsomely if he produces the way he did last year, when he rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns in 10 games.

If Grant rushes for 1,500 yards this year, his salary will be bumped up $4 million in 2009, Herman said. If he rushes for only 1,000 yards, he would only earn an additional $1 million.

Herman said the base salaries in the contract were set, but the incentives and escalators will determine Grant's income each year. He said based on the way Grant plays the next four years, he could earn $30 million or $24 million or $18 million. Once the deal ends, Grant, 25, will be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Before this week, the two sides were talking about a six-year deal.

"Lowering the years gives us another crack at it," Herman said of another contract.

One of the benefits for the Packers is that all of Grant's earnings this year will count against the salary cap right away rather than carry into next season and beyond. The Packers are $30 million under the salary cap, so they have plenty of room to take on Grant's salaries.

Most teams would have made the $3 million roster bonus a signing bonus so the cap charge could be pro-rated over four years. But making it a roster bonus assures that it will count this year, thereby freeing the Packers of any future charges, even if Grant gets hurt or flames out.

With Grant's deal done, the Packers now have 21 of 22 expected starters under contract through at least 2009. The only starter scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season is tackle Mark Tauscher.

Ten starters have contracts that expire after the '09 season, including tackle Chad Clifton, end Aaron Kampman, quarterback Aaron Rodgers, receiver Greg Jennings and nose tackle Ryan Pickett.

As for Grant, negotiations looked to be going nowhere when the Packers tore apart Herman's first proposal and came back with a deal offering only about $2 million in the first year. But negotiations heated up at the end of last week.

Herman reached negotiator Russ Ball on Saturday morning and the two spoke for nearly six hours before finalizing the agreement around 6 p.m.

Coach Mike McCarthy spoke after practice before the deal was complete about how important it was for Grant to get into camp immediately.

"It's time for him to get to camp," McCarthy said. "He is still a young player. He doesn't have a high level of experience, and it's time for him to get here and be a part of what is going on."

Herman said regardless of whether Grant makes it to the Pro Bowl four straight years or plays a significant amount of time, he's going to make good money on the deal.

The Packers had submitted a one-year, $370,000 tender offer that secured their rights to the second-year running back, but Grant refused to sign it.

Feeling his situation was unique he was on the Giants' practice squad in 2005 and sat out all of 2006 with a non-football related hand injury Grant wanted a multi-year deal that would guarantee he would be compensated well if he played at the same level he did last year.

Grant became the starter in Week 8 and rushed for 100 yards six times, including his 201-yard playoff performance against the Seattle Seahawks. Only San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson had more rushing yards (947) over the season's final 10 weeks.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/reversed-call-cost-packers-ryan-grant-1-35-million 

During the Green Bay Packers-Detroit Lions game, referee Ed Hochuli reversed a call on the field that cost Packers running back Ryan Grant $1.35 million in bonuses.

In the third quarter of the Packers' historic victory over the hapless Lions, Grant had what he thought was a 80-yard touchdown run. After a review from officials, the run was brought back nearly 60 yards after officials ruled that he was down 21 yards past the line of scrimmage.

If the original 80-yard run had been allowed to stand, Grant would have surpassed 1,250 rushing yards for the season, which would have triggered $1.5 million worth of bonuses in his contract.

Grant could have earned a $1.5 million bonus if he reached 1,250 yards for the season. Instead, he only earned $500,000 for finishing with 1,203 yards. Grant's contract also featured a $600,000 bonus if he ranked among the top five NFC rushers. He finished sixth, just 35 yards behind Matt Forte of the Bears, and took home a bonus of $150,000. All told, Grant would have earned an extra $1.35 million in bonuses if the call had stood.

The played was reviewed because it appeared that Grant was down after running 21 yards, but he continued running another 59 yards to the end zone.

Grant, for his part, was philosophical about the call.

Fan Shout
beast (10h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : damn those vikings
beast (12h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (12h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (12h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (12h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (19h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.