RaiderPride
14 years ago
Communication is a complex thing. One of the things we teach in my industry is communicating effectively.

It has been said that.... and studies have shown that....

60% of the message we communicate is communicated through our Body Language.

20% of the message we communicate is communicated through our tonality and enunciation.

AND.... ONLY 20% of the message we communicate is communicated by THE WORDS WE CHOSE TO USE.

Think about that for a moment.... There is more than one way to say the simple phrase "Thank You Very Much." Body language will make it sincere, non sincere, or even sarcastic.

This is why E Mail, and posts on forums are so often misunderstood.

NOW... Let's remember, this was a radio interview. It is very possible that many people are taking this the wrong way. I feel they are, but I have been wrong often.

I say give the guy a break.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
14 years ago

I think to be a quarterback in the NFL you need to be a little arrogant.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Do you need to be arrogant or just confident? To me there is a huge difference in how I relate to them.. one I respect the other.. well not so much as you can tell. :lol:

LOL.. no I am not jealous.. and I have posted far more times on the subject then it warranted.. but I just really don't like that type of attitude.

I think one can be very successful as a QB by having great intelligence, confidence, talent and can remain classy as well.

Again.. spent way to much effort in commenting on this subject.. I am sure it will be addressed if need be in the locker room.. where comments like this should have stayed. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
14 years ago
The arrogance is fine if you back it up on the field like Favre and Marino; not so good when you're like Jeff George.

There aren't too many Saints like Joe Montana running around. Remember what Al Pacino said on Any Given Sunday. "It's the top job". Isn't it natural that some arrogance goes with that.

Cut him some slack. He's got enough Favre firster kicking him in the nuts.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Cut him some slack. He's got enough Favre firster kicking him in the nuts.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Slack given... anyone got some duct tape so I can hush him up for a while. ;)

Wait that would be telling him to shut up...he is rubbing off on me.. The Aaron Rodgers School of Diplomacy... wonder when I get the bill. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Yerko
14 years ago

It's not the pissy part that bothers me, it's the cockiness and the fact Kampy is doing everything he has been asked to and A-Rod still takes a jab at him

"dd80forever" wrote:

Again, where is this jab he takes that you over-reacting about?

To others:
So if anyone here was in Rodgers position and the people giving the interview didn't ask you one thing about how you feel about YOUR offseason and how YOU are doing....you wouldn't be pissed or annoyed?
I mean, everyone is making assumptions so I figure I can do the same.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago

It's not the pissy part that bothers me, it's the cockiness and the fact Kampy is doing everything he has been asked to and A-Rod still takes a jab at him

"AKamp74" wrote:

Again, where is this jab he takes that you over-reacting about?

To others:
So if anyone here was in Rodgers position and the people giving the interview didn't ask you one thing about how you feel about YOUR offseason and how YOU are doing....you wouldn't be pissed or annoyed?
I mean, everyone is making assumptions so I figure I can do the same.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Being pissed is fine, calling out a teammate who is in camp is another.

Coming from someone who never earned anything he has gotten in GB it rubs me the wrong way.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
All right. I finally listened to the interview (couldn't listen to it at school), and let me just say, I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about. For one thing, Aaron Rodgers was unstinting in his praise of the new defense.

Q: How's the 3-4?

"Good. Very good."

Q: So you trust the defense?

"That's good. I like what we're doing. When they figure out all the little nuances in the defense, they're going to be so good. 'Cause already they're moving around a ton, the secondary -- it's tough to figure out where they're coming from. When you got Kampman and Poppinga and Clay Matthews and [garbled], they're going to be -- they're going to be tough."

As for the hypothetical question about asking for more pay, everyone involved makes it obvious that they're discussing a hypothetical question, and Rodgers' answer makes it obvious he isn't lecturing Kampman or anyone else for that matter -- his analysis of the hypothetical situation would apply equally to any player, including himself. Again, this is abundantly obvious from the context.

And as for the comments you guys have interpreted as criticism of Kampman ("The worst thing he did . . ."), he intends them to actually be what one might call "Praise by faint damning." Sort of the opposite of "Damning by faint praise."

"The worst thing that he did -- and he's a buddy of mine -- the worst thing he did was not talk the first week. Why would you not talk the first week? Then you're asking ten other people the question that they want to ask you! Why would you not talk the first week? It was the worst thing he could have done. Just heaped all this extra pressure on him. Then he had to talk this week."

The worst thing he did was, um, not talking right away? Hardly a stinging rebuke. In fact, this isn't a criticism of Kampman at all -- it's really a criticism (by implication) of the media itself! He's pretty blatantly blaming the media for blowing the whole situation out of proportion. The worst criticism he levels at Kampman is basically a good-natured, "Hey, buddy, you made it harder on yourself than you had to -- fucking media whores." Again, this is obvious from the context and Rodgers' tone.

Oh, and by the way, the hosts of the show agree with him -- you hear them saying "Yep" in the background.

Finally, for the other bone of contention, his saying that Kampman "doesn't understand," I understand the point if you take him too literally. But judging again by the cadence of his words, it sounds to me like he's speaking in the subjunctive -- that is, in a hypothetical sense.

What he said:

"Him being disappointed by the 4-3 -- or the 3-4 -- switch, he obviously doesn't understand how it would help him out."

I read this as "If he really were disappointed by the 3-4, that would mean he didn't understand how it would help him out." Remember, they've been speaking hypothetically this entire conversation -- the host has just got done speculating as to why he might not have wanted to talk to the media.

After all, he goes on to say:

"So why would you not be excited about a defensive switch where you're going to have opportunity, with us bringing more guys, to have more one-on-one matchups?"

I can see how on its face, again taking things too literally, this might be interpreted as a criticism of Kampman, but remember, they're speaking hypothetically. Judging by his tone, this strikes me as a purely rhetorical question. I think what he's really trying to say is "Of course Kampman is excited about a switch to a defense in which he's going to get more sacks!"

One last comment on tone. I agree with everyone who thinks Rodgers tone is meant to be humorous. I got the impression from the first few seconds of this clip that this is a show with a distinctly sarcastic vibe, and Rodgers was just vibing with them. The hosts were laughing the entire time, so obviously he was fitting in with their usual shtick.

Did he come across as a bit snotty? Of course. He was supposed to. He sounded to me like he was grinning most of the time.

Now let's all relax and get along. 😛
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

It is okay to give Rodgers a free pass because someone else was a dink?

"pack93z" wrote:

Of course not -- which is precisely why I was deploring the double standard. If Rodgers had committed any of the bad behaviors I outlined above, I'd be calling him out the same way I called out Favre.

The difference here is it's impossible to understand Rodgers' comments outside of the context of the show on which he appears. Taking them too literally without understanding the shtick of the show can lead one to some erroneous conclusions.

I think Rogers was dishing out some fairly vicious backhanded commentary on the way the media has treated the Packers the past few years (and I think the hosts understood what he was saying very well), but people got so focused on the literal meaning of his words, they missed his real message entirely.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I find it amazing how people interpret things differently.. anyway.. said my piece and moving on until he says something else that can be discussed.

Hopefully they are limited to once a year. 😉
14 years ago

As far as I am concerned, Rodgers comes off as a sniffling little spoiled Cali dickhead.. and I would have no problem saying that to his face off camera either.

This very topic isn't going to change how I view Rodgers the QB.. but I sure in the hell will keep it in my memory someplace in case he continues the BS. I don't care for the attitude, "it is what it is".

And I am sure he is losing sleep because I think he comes off as a spoiled little shit. :lol:

"pack93z" wrote:

Wow, really?

I liked Aaron Rodgers a lot after seeing the pre-draft special where they take the top prospects in the draft to meet the commissioner etc.. In fact, he was the only one I liked. Braylon Edwards is the one who seemed like a prick. Rodgers was personable and respectful, and got along with everyone.

My opinion of him sure hasn't changed either, except I think he comes across as a very cool customer. I mean, as has been stated, Favre drank and partied his hick ass all over Wisconsin and was adored. Rodgers acted like he respects his organization and opportunity, and he was cussed at by kids.

I was a HUGE Favre fan. If Rodgers has success any where near what Favre had, I can safely say I will probably enjoy cheering for him more than Brett.

And in regards to that last post, I don't think he needs a free pass, so the point is moot in my mind.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Yes really I think in that interview he came off as a pissy little diva.

And yes, if somehow my opinion mattered to him and he ask, I would tell him he came off as a dickhead.

Again, I have praised this guy plenty over the past year, for the majority how he handled himself during the Favregate.. the way he shrugged off those that belittled him and flung insults at him.

I praised him for his play last season, his heart getting up time and time again after getting blasted, the way he commanded the offense and the care he took with the football... I can't be more happy to have him as our QB.

But comments like this are unbecoming of him and his status as a classy professional football player.

Do I think it is the worst thing that could have happened, nope. But that doesn't mean that I have to respect the way he handled himself.

For the life of me, I can't understand how come people get do defensive about criticizing a player for something that is beneath them as a representative of our Green Bay Packers.

Just as if I step out of line here, I expect someone to call me on it.

Know what is funny.. those the criticize the Pro Favre folks.. are just as; if not more defensive of Rodgers. He is human, bleeds like us all, and makes mistakes like us all.. I happen to think this was a mistake. And if I was a member of the team or Kampman himself, I would have an issue with it.

Easy to throw stones at those in glass houses.. yes I can throw them too. ;)

"pack93z" wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa. In that post, I took "comes off as a sniffling little spoiled Cali dickhead" as a general statement about Rodgers overall, not in this one interview, as there was no qualifier. My bad.
UserPostedImage