Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Can't wait to hear the comments of how he should hold his tongue in the press.. :lol:

Yep approve of this about as much as I did of being told to.. yeah.. never mind. :whipitgood:

Souce of Course 

Green Bay For the sake of the Green Bay Packers, they should hope safety Anthony Smith has matured - on the field.

But if they expect him to hold his tongue, say, if they face an undefeated team late this season, the Packers shouldn't hold their breath.

That episode in which Smith "guaranteed" a Pittsburgh Steelers victory over the unbeaten New England Patriots in 2007? Yeah, even after the 34-13 drubbing and Tom Brady throwing bombs over, around and by Smith, he would do it again.

"I really didn't learn anything, to be honest," Smith, one of two free agents the Packers signed in the off-season, said. "I'm going to say the same thing if anybody asks me if I think my team can win.

"If you don't want to win, why do you play the game? So for people to blow it out of proportion, of me saying that if we do what we're supposed to do having the No. 1 defense, I think we're going to win the game. Where was I in the wrong?"

Where Smith, a second-year player at the time, erred was in giving a team like the Patriots, who look for any source of motivation, exactly that. Sure, it was artificial, but coach Bill Belichick gladly used Smith's truly innocuous words against.

"We're going to win," Smith said at the time. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win, as long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

After Brady completed 32 of 46 passes for four touchdowns, including two that burned a bewildered Smith, the normally closed-lipped Belichick let loose on Smith.

"We've played against a lot better safeties than him, I'll tell you that," Belichick said.

Ouch.

"The safety play at that position was pretty inviting," Belichick said.

Double ouch.

As far as the perceived on-field trash talk delivered by the likes of Randy Moss and Brady, Smith said it didn't happen.

"The thing is, although it may have looked different on TV, nobody was trash talking," Smith said. "It looked like Brady said something to me in the end zone, but he wasn't talking to me. He was talking to James Harrison because he had bumped Brady in the back.

"I really didn't take too much from it. I wouldn't have blamed them if they did say something to me. I would have done the same thing. I live for competition."

Not long after the Patriots game, Smith found himself in the doghouse of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Smith was switched to strong safety and then buried on the depth chart throughout the Steelers' championship season of a year ago.

The Steelers gladly let Smith go. But from all indications, it seems as if he has landed in a very good spot with the Packers.

He's the only player on the defense with any experience in a 3-4 scheme - and the Pittsburgh variety favored by the Packers. He's back with the position coach (Darren Perry) who helped him ascend to being a starter. And both of the Packers' projected starters, Nick Collins and Atari Bigby, haven't practiced because of a perceived contract squabble and an injury, respectively.

"All of our guys are looking at it as a great opportunity to showcase their abilities," Perry said last month.

Smith, 25, did that Wednesday when he picked off a Brian Brohm pass in 7-on-7 drills. In his role as quarterback of the defense, Smith also has looked at ease keeping the players on the same page.

"Definitely his experience in Pittsburgh has really helped him," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He looks very natural out there. He's an athletic safety. I can see why people were as high on him as they are, and I think he'll definitely factor in our safety group."

Perry, who was with the Oakland Raiders last season, said the Smith he sees now has matured. What Perry means by that is Smith has shown a seriousness about the game, both in his preparation and with the increased discipline he has displayed.

"He has starter ability," Perry said. "He had a little rough spell there in Pittsburgh and I think a lot of that was just consistency. I think if he gets consistent, he has that ability."

Just don't expect him to bite his tongue if he's asked whether his team will win on Sundays.

"I say what I feel," Smith said. "That's the way I was brought up. So, yeah, I think my team is going to win. Every week. What's wrong with that? I don't know why people would have a problem with me saying that."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I skimmed through this earlier this morning at home (preWebsense block) and I liked the confidence. Although, I do find the Barry Sanders method much more appealing. Quiet confidence > Loud confidence ... in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I don't mind the attitude at all. It's a little disconcerting that he got "burned" twice (I read elsewhere he was "partly responsible for two touchdowns") but in all fairness, The NE passing game burned everyone that year.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I don't mind the attitude at all.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Neither do I in the locker room or upon the field.. in the press.. not so much.

Maybe it is just me.. but I would rather have a guy do his job on the field.. play with a ton of emotion between the lines.. but carry himself with a certain quiet confident mystic about him in the press..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhpackr
14 years ago
smith should just STFU and play!
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
14 years ago

I don't mind the attitude at all.

"pack93z" wrote:

Neither do I in the locker room or upon the field.. in the press.. not so much.

Maybe it is just me.. but I would rather have a guy do his job on the field.. play with a ton of emotion between the lines.. but carry himself with a certain quiet confident mystic about him in the press..

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Well yeah, that is true. But at the same time it's a little refreshing just to have someone be who they are all the time, and not have to interpret everything they do from a strategic standpoint.
UserPostedImage
NormaL
14 years ago
Some new Smith comments 

New Green Bay safety Anthony Smith wasn't around for the distractions caused by last season's Brett Favre unretirement saga. But should Favre follow through on his flirtation to come back with division rival Minnesota, Smith would relish the chance to face him on the field.

"I would, only because he's one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game," said Smith, a free agent pickup who played for Pittsburgh last season. "To get a chance to play against him would be a great honor."

Of course, it'd be an even bigger honor to pick off one of Favre's passes.

"Get one off the best!" Smith said. "Maybe I'll have him sign it or something."
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
warhawk
14 years ago
I'm not for talking about a guarantee to win but I know our defense needs to have that kind of confidence and more emotion out there. I don't think there was enough excitement or guys feeding off of others adrenalin on defense.

Everything they do has to be backed up with good play but it would be nice to see more swagger out there and a confidence the offense senses that tells them they will be earning every yard they get.

If we are going to a defense patterned after the Steelers then we also need to have the attitude along with it for it to produce. Guys flying around and making big hits usually gets a defense rolling like that and I expect to see guys more ramped up this year.
"The train is leaving the station."
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
I have no problem whatsoever with what he said in this interview. I just don't want him guaranteeing victories. I like the confidence though, that should bring some excitement to the team.

Guaranteeing a victory over a team is the worst thing you could do. You could word it like "Yes, with out a doubt, I think we can beat this team." Not like "I am going to go out and say it, we WILL win."

There is a difference.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
well he actually said
"Yeah, I can guarantee a win, as long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

but all that gets reported is
"Yeah, I can guarantee a win"
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.