Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
So my son and I were talking last night about Deacon Jones.. he had a football card with him on it and asked where the "Sacks" line was.. this lead into a discussion about the player Deacon was..

For my money.. this has got to be one of the dirtiest "back alley" type players to walk the game of football..

Whom do you believe to carry such a title?

BTW.. RP.. I would mention Jack Tatum in this discussion as well.. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Or half the 70s Raiders defense for that matter, if I understood the America's Game episode correctly.

I agree with you on Deacon , though. Slapping O-linemen on the head and stuff.
dhpackr
14 years ago
I never really thought of deacon as a dirty player. his main move was a head slap. i guess he hit people so hard that they were dazed and couldn't block him. an offensive linemen could've hit him back.

i will say John Runyan as dirtiest player I have ever seen.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Bill Romanowski would have to be in the modern day discussion..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
His move was both legal and brutal. As a defensive back, he would "fix" his arm in a partially bent position and flex it rigid. He would then come at the guy with the ball full-force, striking him in the neck with either his forearm, bicep, or ideally, right in the neck with the "crook" of his arm.

He single-handedly (so to speak :icon_smile: ) is the reason that the "clothesline tackle" was outlawed.

Dick "Night Train" Lane. His signature move, as just described, was called,

"The Night Train Necktie". He would MF'ing HIT YOU with it.

Dick "Night Train" Lane 

He was nowhere near the "dirtiest" player ever, but he was damn sure one of the most effective, and if anyone of the younger lads or lasses were to ever see this type of tackle as he employed it, you would not believe that it was actually allowed at some point in the history of the game.

Strolling down memory laneNight Train was precursor to todays great cornerbacksBy Bill WallaceAs published in print June 3, 2002

Even with a new season pending, the last Super Bowl still sticks in the memory bank because it was such a good game New Englands victory achieved on that final drive with no margin for error, culminated by PK Adam Vinatieris field goal to upset St. Louis. Although Vinatieri and QB Tom Brady came away with the most plaudits, there was plenty of praise for the work of Patriots CBs Ty Law and Otis Smith on the Rams speedy receivers. That was impressive CB play. It was too bad that the guy who defined, if not invented the position, Dick "Night Train" Lane, failed to see the fine work of Law and Smith. Five days before the game he died in Austin, Texas, from a heart attack. He was 73. Lane, one of the first African-Americans to play in the NFL, came up the hard way. That perfect nickname matched his perfection on the field."Best cornerback ever to play the game," former Packers CB and Hall of Famer Herb Adderley said. "Ive never seen a defensive back hit like him." Lane used his size advantage (6-1, 194 pounds) against most of the contemporary receivers and added the "Night Train Necktie," an arm-around-the-throat tackle that was eventually outlawed. One time, while playing for the Lions against the Rams in the Los Angeles Coliseum, Lane stuck his cocked arm out to stop Rams ace RB Jon Arnett and clipped Arnett under the chin. The Rams runner flipped backward and lay on the turf for a long time. But what about the nickname, "Night Train"? Reporting to the Rams as a rookie out of the Army in 1952, Lane was assigned to the care of Tom Fears, the veteran All-Pro receiver who had a record player in his training-camp room. His favorite tune was the jazz piece recorded by the Buddy Morrow Orchestra, "Night Train." Lane later recalled, "Every day Id be going to (Fears) room and hed be playing it. His roommate, a guy named Ben Sheets, would say, Here comes Night Train! "The nickname stuck, and so did Lane, for 14 seasons in the NFL with the Rams, the Chicago Cardinals and most notably with the Lions. It was a wonder he ever reached that level. He was abandoned when he was 3 months old. Ella Lane, a widow with two children, found him in a trash bin covered by newspapers. A rough, tough teenager in Austin, Lane managed to get himself to Scottsbluff Junior College in Nebraska, where he played football for one season. Then he signed up with the Army and played on the team at Fort Ord, Calif. In his NFL era, players were most likely to be from a Notre Dame or a USC, and Scottsbluff J.C. came to be viewed as an aberration, close to the infamous "No College."The Rams found Lane at Fort Ord and suggested he look them up when he got through with a four-year hitch in the Army. He was an unknown 24-year-old sensation at their 52 training camp and easily made coach Joe Stydahars team as a starter. In a 12-game rookie season, Lane intercepted 14 passes, a single-season record that stands to this day. After that, quarterbacks worked the other side of the field, and Lanes interception chances diminished. His career total is 68, third-best after Paul Krauses 81 and Emlen Tunnells 79. A knee injury ended Lanes career in 1965. After that he did some college coaching at Central State in Ohio and at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La. He also had an association with the Police Athletic League programs in Detroit where he was a sought-after athlete in the Motor City. Often visiting Canton, Ohio, for the annual Hall of Fame ceremonies, Lane was a charismatic figure collecting a crowd of NFL people. There was strength there, in an even-tempered, wise man who liked to laugh. George Puscas, the longtime Detroit Free Press sportswriter, wrote that Lane was "a special man, a special player who will live on in the memories of those who saw him play. He was popular as widely admired and loved as few professional athletes ever become." Super Bowl XXXVI and "Night Train" Lane easy to remember, hard to forget. Bill Wallace has been writing about pro football for half a century and has been with Pro Football Weekly since its inception in 1967. He is based in Westport, Conn.

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
+1 to Foster.. whale of a post.. excellent.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
That is quite a post, indeed, Foster. Really like it. Remembered me of some footage I watched. I'll put it here as a little addition to your post.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d8074340e/Top-Ten-Season-Performance-Dick-Night-Train-Lane 
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Who was that Raider DB who paralyzed that Patriot WR in a preseason game? He'd have to be in on the discussion. I think it was Hayes or Haynes.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dfosterf
14 years ago

Who was that Raider DB who paralyzed that Patriot WR in a preseason game? He'd have to be in on the discussion. I think it was Hayes or Haynes.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

It was Jack Tatum that paralyzed Daryl Stingley.

Imo, the dirtiest player in the "modern era" was Dick Butkus.

EVERYONE was afraid of him, including his own team.

I think that is a compliment, but I am one sick bastard.

Nice find, Rock, on the Night Train thing!

[youtube]NhNVqs07FRc[/youtube]

NOBODY wanted to line up against him---NOBODY
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Here is another mean SOB... he once punched Mean Joe Greene..

Conrad Francis Dobler (born October 1, 1950 in Chicago, Illinois) is a retired American football offensive lineman in the NFL.

Dobler was drafted out of the University of Wyoming in the 1972 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Cardinals. He also played for the New Orleans Saints and the Buffalo Bills. Dobler was a member of the NFC's Pro Bowl roster in 1975, 1976, and 1977. Dobler is best known as arguably the dirtiest player in NFL history.

ESPN's Top 10... 

1. Conrad Dobler (offensive lineman -- St. Louis Cardinals, New Orleans Saints and Buffalo Bills, 1972-1981)
Once made SI's cover as the dirtiest player in pro football. "I see defensive linemen jump to knock a pass down," he said after he retired. "When that happened near me, I'd smack 'em in the solar plexus, and that got their hands down real quick. It's as if nobody wants to see anybody else get injured." Dobler didn't care who got hurt. He punched Mean Joe Greene, he kicked Merlin Olsen in the head, he bit, he gouged, and once, he spit on a downed and injured opponent, the Eagles' Bill Bradley.

Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (11h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (17h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (18h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (21h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (21h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (21h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (22h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (22h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.