wils0646
14 years ago

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/48814277.html

Looks like both sides are getting closer to getting an extension done.

"RainX" wrote:

Awesome news. I've gained so much respect for the guy from this whole situation.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Packers Close To A Deal With Greg Jennings
Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2009, 11:47 p.m.

The Green Bay Packers and receiver Greg Jennings are close to an agreement on a new contract, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The source is a good one its Jennings himself.

The fourth-year wideout made the disclosure after a minicamp practice on Monday.

Weve been working on some things, Jennings said. Were coming pretty close, as far as my understanding is, to some type of a deal. But when I say close, we could still be far . . . if that makes sense. But I think were coming close. You just never know how long close can take to actually closing the deal.

Jennings, one of the best young receivers in the game, could end up with a contract averaging more than $8 million per year.

If theres a new Collective Bargaining Agreement by March, Jennings would be eligible for unrestricted free agency. Absent a new CBA, 2010 will proceed without a salary cap and Jennings will be a restricted free agent only.

UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
It really is great news that something is getting done. For some reason it seems hard to get high character guys at the position.

We're lucky to have had Driver for so long and now we have another blue chip guy to lead the group for the next five or six years.

I just wish Collins, our new QB of the Defense had this attitude:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports.....14277.html 

Jennings wanted it made clear Monday that his absences from voluntary offseason workouts were to spend time with his family - he has two young daughters - and not a negotiations ploy.

"I don't want to be a distraction to the team," Jennings said. "When you're looked upon as a leader on the team - not that I'm a main leader, but I'm looked upon as one of the leaders - your leader can't be a main distraction."
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
We're near but we're far? That says absolutely nothing. Nothing to be excited about. He's just trying to allay fan concern, avert a media circus, keep as low a profile as possible.

I think The_Green_Ninja probably had it right when he said Jennings will get his extension four games or so into next season. I think Ted Thompson will let him prove himself -- demonstrate a bit more durability and consistency -- before rolling out the big dough.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I think what it says is that they are negotiating and progress has been made. That's about as much as I take from it. They difference between the two sides is closing, but everyone knows that final little bit can take a while.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

We're near but we're far? That says absolutely nothing. Nothing to be excited about. He's just trying to allay fan concern, avert a media circus, keep as low a profile as possible.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Be open minded. Have you never worked on a contract before? Close but could be far means ... we have 90% of it done, but the final details are being worked on. It could be done in 4 hours, or those final details could take 4 weeks. It's how contract discussions go. They could have the per year, the length and duration set in stone, but have to finalize the signing bonus/up front money.

You do know that every NFL Agent is available for you to contact right? Feel free to contact his agent and ask him what he meant. Chances are, you won't be answered on the first call, but if you leave a message that doesn't make you sound like a stalker, you should be good to go. The best method is to relate it to a college project inquiry. Everyone wants to help out college students 🙂
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
You raise an excellent point, of course, but sometimes it's those final little details that are the stickiest and take longest to resolve. And how many times have heard in the media that "deals in principle" had been completed, only to see them called off at the last second? We all know that Jennings is a shining star of Ted Thompson's tenure, but the fact remains that he has virtually no leverage (beyond fan outrage at Thompson's bungling another deal, maybe) at this point. Regardless of what happens with the CBA this year, he won't be an UFA at the end of the season. The Packers can take their time with this deal, get it right, and not have to feel rushed.

The deal will get done. Jennings wants to play for the Packers, and the Packers certainly want him to play for the Packers. Only people with an axe to grind seriously believe it might not.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I disagree, I think they need to get Jennings wrapped up to continue to show a solid precedent of taking care of their own. Who have we locked up since August '08? Aaron Rodgers? Please, he played less than a half a season, his contract was more of one that was offered based on potential than proof being in the pudding.

We NEED to lock up Jennings as soon as possible and move on to other key members. Such as Nick Collins.

That's my take on it. I know and you know, Jennings will be extended. It needs to be done so the efforts can be put forth on the other players. Draft picks included.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
Non your post about being close but far apart struck me as a worry point. The history of Ted Thompson is he won't pay the big bucks to a WR because he thinks he can find another one in the draft. Remember he usually drafts atleast 1 wr a year. I hope it gets done but i'm not going to get excited about him saying it's being worked on and your right Jennings has no leverage at all. Hope Ted Thompson don't screw him.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
What top WR's have we let go since Thompson has been our GM?

Z2C: There are a lot of people we have to extend. Some may say, "Well then get some signed quickly!" but it strikes me as more of a strategic situations where they have to plan ahead and have an overall game plan. Since 11/06, Rodgers got an extension, Grant got an extension (August 08), Poppinga got an extension (July 08), Lee got an extension, Driver got an extension, Barnett got an extension, Jenkins got an extension, Harris got an extension, Wells got an extension...

Did I miss anyone guys (and gals)?
UserPostedImage