Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I remember the game in which Reggie Brown was paralyzed like it was yesterday. Such a sobering moment for a teenager like myself. Good to read that apparently he's living an active life and not confined to a wheelchair.

Add loss of Corey Smith to list of Lions' tragedies 

by Brian VanOchten | The Grand Rapids Press

Sunday March 08, 2009, 12:30 AM

All families squabble.

It's a part of life, simple as that, but families pull together in the toughest of times, under the harshest of circumstances, facing tragedies like the heartbreaking loss of former Detroit Lions defensive end Corey Smith and a pair of his fishing buddies off the Gulf Coast of Florida last weekend.

The support is unconditional.

In the past week, I've been reminded through endless Internet searches while reading blog posts, chat boards and numerous reports about the celebration of Smith's life that no one rallies around their favorite NFL team quite like the people who consider themselves part of the Lions family.

The resentment of 0-16 faded.

The hurtful comments stopped.

The sniping from the media about questionable front-office leadership and the signing of middling free agents, which I'd been trumpeting, came to a respectful halt once reports of Smith's disappearance broke.

It reminded us that life is so fragile.

It also stirred up a chilling reminder of the heartbreaking tragedies that have plagued the Lions franchise for almost four decades.

You remember Chuck Hughes?

He suffered a fatal heart attack on the field on Oct. 24, 1971, during the final minutes of a matchup against the Chicago Bears at Tiger Stadium. He'd run a pass route but wasn't part of the play -- an incompletion intended for Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders. He pitched forward despite there being no contact on the play.

The game finished in near silence.

The Lions, who retired No. 85 in Hughes' honor, have presented an annual award in his name to the most improved player on their roster since 1997. Hughes is the only player in NFL history to die on the field in a game.

You remember Mike Utley?

The starting right guard for the Lions was paralyzed in a Nov. 17, 1991, game against the Los Angeles Rams. He suffered a severe spinal injury, but became a source of great inspiration after flashing the "thumbs up" signal to his teammates upon being strapped to a stretcher and removed from the field.

His gesture helped inspire the Lions to win their next seven games and reach the NFC championship contest. The team presents the Mike Utley Spirit Award in his honor.

You remember Eric Andolsek?

The 1991 NFC title game turned out to be his last.

In the offseason, Andolsek, the team's starting left guard, was working in the yard of his Thibodaux, La., home on June 23, 1992, when he was struck and killed by a semi-trailer truck ran off the highway. He was 25.

Two days later, Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Jerome Brown was died in a car accident. Two years later, linebacker Toby Caston, a teammate of Andolsek's both in Detroit and at Louisiana State, died in a car accident.

You remember Reggie Brown?

He was the 17th overall pick, a promising linebacker from Texas A&M, who suffered a spinal cord contusion while assisting on a tackle in a matchup against the New York Jets on Dec. 21, 1997, in the regular-season finale.

He nearly died on the field.

Brown lay motionless on the turf for 17 minutes. He lost consciousness briefly. CPR saved his life. He had emergency surgery after being transported to the hospital, which likely spared him from spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

And the tragedies weren't limited to players.

You remember Don McCafferty?

He replaced Don Shula as coach of the Baltimore Colts when Shula left to lead the Miami Dolphins in 1970. He led the Colts to Super Bowl V in Miami, where they prevailed in a mistake-filled game to defeat the Dallas Cowboys, 16-13.

Two years later, the Lions hired him.

McCafferty, who'd gone 6-7-1 in his first season, suffered a fatal heart attack on July 28, 1974, while cutting the grass at his West Bloomfield home.

He died just prior to the beginning of training camp.

I got respectful e-mails reminding me of all of these men.

It took a terrible event like losing Smith to snap all of us out of bickering about the fate of a franchise that hasn't had much to celebrate on the field in a long time.

So, for a change, let's celebrate life.

Isn't football just a game? Is it really that important?

If nothing else, we should honor the memories of Hughes, McCafferty, Andolsek, Caston and Smith, and keep Utley and Brown in our thoughts and prayers.

E-mail Brian VanOchten: bvanocthen@grpress.com

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Like i have said in the past.......it's ONLY football. LIFE is what really matters.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
I too, remember Reggie Brown. I was watching the game.. And the stoppage seemed to last FOREVER.

I didn't know about all the tragedies the Lions organization went through. That's way too bad.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
beast (5h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (6h) : damn those vikings
beast (6h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (6h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (6h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (6h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (13h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (14h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.