zombieslayer
14 years ago

I concur with that assessment.

Totally off topic, I still think it's absurd that a team could sweep its division and still not have the division crown if another team in the division had a better record. I think division titles should be decided by division records.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Okay, let's say the Lions were to go 6-10, and all of their wins were in the NFC North. That means that they are 6-0 in the division.

Now lets say that the Packers go 14-2, both of the two losses to the Lions.

Who should win the division?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The team with the better record wins the division always, as they should. For example, in '07, we got swept by da Bears. We finished 13-3 and I forgot their record, but it wasn't near that, and we won the division as we should have.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
johnny_blood
14 years ago

I think intradivision games should be more meaningful than interdivision games.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

They already are, and intraconference is already more meaningful than interconference. (It kept the 1989 Packers out of the playoffs.) This is all due to the tiebreaking system. Divisional games aren't worth more in the W-L record but they are worth more for the end of season standings.

If you want intradivisional games to be worth everything in terms of winning the division then I would disagree. In my opinion the current system can't be improved. I would not be OK with a 6-10 Lions team winning the division over a 14-2 Packers team.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I don't think that a 6-10 team should go in over a 14-2 team or so. Ever.

One thing that would work is that divisional games are worth 1.5 win or losses or something. (Doesn't have to be 1.5, but you get my point) That would make these games even more interesting.

Although that would make the NFL even more complicated. I don't think that they're aiming for that.
dhazer
14 years ago
One thing i would have them change is the seeding process, i would just go by records and not division winners, it's sad when you see a 2nd round game between a wild card team and a division winner and the wildcard winner is like 12-4 and the division winner is 8-8 and get the home game.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago

One thing i would have them change is the seeding process, i would just go by records and not division winners, it's sad when you see a 2nd round game between a wild card team and a division winner and the wildcard winner is like 12-4 and the division winner is 8-8 and get the home game.

"dhazer" wrote:

Agreed. I also hate how records determine draft order and not when you were eliminated from the playoffs. The Chargers made it into the playoffs at 8-8 but still picked higher, unfair for teams like the Patriots who picked later, had a better record and missed the playoffs. However, I think they may have just changed this rule for next season.
johnny_blood
14 years ago
I disagree strongly about the seeding. Taking care of business in your division ought to guarantee you a spot in the playoffs and a home playoff game. If you seed purely by records then a division winner could miss the playoffs entirely!

I like that the division titles are so meaningful. Last year everyone was clamoring for change because of the awful NFC West, but I was loving it when those awful Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl.

If playoff seeding were record-only then the divisions would themselves have no meaning other than dictating which teams you play twice per year. I wouldn't like that.

It's like Ron Wolf always said... your first goal is pwning your division! 🙂 OK maybe not those words but he always stressed it and even drafted with it in mind.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago

I disagree strongly about the seeding. Taking care of business in your division ought to guarantee you a spot in the playoffs and a home playoff game. If you seed purely by records then a division winner could miss the playoffs entirely!

I like that the division titles are so meaningful. Last year everyone was clamoring for change because of the awful NFC West, but I was loving it when those awful Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl.

If playoff seeding were record-only then the divisions would themselves have no meaning other than dictating which teams you play twice per year. I wouldn't like that.

It's like Ron Wolf always said... your first goal is pwning your division! 🙂 OK maybe not those words but he always stressed it and even drafted with it in mind.

"johnny_blood" wrote:

Ok hows this for an example the Steelers go 15-1 and the Ravens go 14-2, the Ravens get the wildcard but have to go on the road and say play against like Denver with an 8-8 record? So your saying punish a team that is in a very tough division and reward a team that played in a bad division?

The 8-8 team would be rewarded by making the playoffs.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
johnny_blood
14 years ago
How is it punishing a team to let them into the playoffs after they fail to win their division? I see that as a reward.

Also it is true that the AFC North is currently tougher than the AFC West, but you can end up with a story like yours where the teams with better records are in a weaker division and have good records in part because they each had 4 games against cellar dwelling patsies. (They also could have collectively played against the same extremely weak division.) Whereas the 8-8 team had no weaklings in its division and they just all beat on each other, and they were collectively matched up against a strong division.

In short, having two teams in one division with good records doesn't strictly mean they played tougher schedules than someone else who won their division with a worse overall record. The two good teams could be in a division with two other teams that go 1-15 and collectively they could play against another very weak division. The 8-8 winner could win by tiebreaker in a division where everyone ends up 8-8 and they collectively play against another very strong division.

Mathematical possibilities aside, let's look at your example and grant the 8-8 team is weak. Well, the Ravens should have won their division. Divisions are fun and important to me so I have zero objections to your scenario. If the Ravens have a problem with it they should try to beat the Steelers out for the next title IMO! Champs play at home, wildcards hit the road. 🙂

It's these high stakes that make divisions and divisional rivalries so great. That's my take anyway. Your example seems the same as the Cardinals and Falcons and Panthers last year, and I'm fine with what happened. The next step for the Falcons is winning that division.
blank
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (12h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (18h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (20h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (20h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (22h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (22h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (22h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (23h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (23h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.