RaiderPride
14 years ago
And the TOP 50 NFL PLAYERS ARE.......

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11892651 
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

I appreciate the links, but seriously, not everyone is able to navigate to them. Post the darn list! 😛
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Top 50: Lining up again behind those two quarterbacks 
June 25, 2009
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

You will scan my annual list of the top 50 NFL players in hopes of finding your favorite players, and then it will happen, coming on like a bad cold.

The rage will fill your entire body, the heat building inside like a small inferno. You will curse. You will use my name in vain.

You will hate me.

You will wonder how I got my job. You will wonder if my father is the head of CBS. And then you will vent.

I'm ready. Give it to me, because unlike a lot of scouts and football writers, I stand by my convictions.

One name on this year's list is sure to ignite the you-know-what storm. It's Andre Johnson, the Houston Texans receiver, who is fourth on my list.

Some might say he's not even the best receiver in the league -- with Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald getting the nod -- but I beg to differ. Johnson is slightly better than Fitzgerald in my book. It's just that most of the nation hasn't paid enough to attention to Johnson to realize it.

I remember when I first put Johnson on my list after his rookie season in 2004, there were plenty of rips about it. But I remember then-Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer telling me I nailed it.

"That kid will be special," Palmer said.

And now he is. Johnson led the NFL in both catches (115) and yards (1,575) last season, averaging 98.2 yards per game. By comparison, Fitzgerald had 96 catches for 1,431 yards, averaging 89.4. Fitzgerald had 12 touchdown catches to eight for Johnson.

It's close. Real close. The postseason is why most would put Fitzgerald over Johnson. He stole the national stage. But there are other reasons to make the case for Johnson.

The Texans threw it 75 fewer times than the Cardinals last season. Arizona's Kurt Warner is a better quarterback than Houston's Matt Schaub, and Warner played all 16 games, while Schaub played just 11. Fitzgerald also has Anquan Boldin on the other side, while Johnson has Kevin Walter, a good player who isn't in Boldin's class.

That's why Johnson is ranked two spots higher than Fitzgerald on my list, and probably a lot higher than many of you would expect.

Once again when putting this together, I was reminded of just how quickly a player can fall.

This time, LaDainian Tomlinson is exhibit A.

Last summer, he was third on my list, a spot few could argue. He was coming off a 1,474-yard season with a 4.7 average. Yes, there were questions, particularly after his injury in the AFC Championship Game against the Patriots in January 2008.

But it was hard to argue that he was a top player.

Now it's hard to imagine he still can be.

Tomlinson is nowhere to be found on my top 50 list this year. That doesn't mean that I think he's done, but his days as an elite player are over.

An injury-riddled 2008 season saw him rush for 1,110 yards and only a 3.8 average. He turned 30 this week, which is the supposed magic number for running backs: and not in a good way.

Johnson's going up, Tomlinson is going down.

That's the NFL, baby, where change is rapid.

Probably like your heartbeat after you dissect this list.

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts: He won the MVP despite a slow start with knee troubles. He's still at the top of his game and has five good years left -- at least.

2. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots: He's right there with Manning, but missing last season drops him to the second spot. He's said to be all the way back, which Pats fans have to love.

3. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Cowboys: One number says it all: 20. That's his sack total from 2008. He's the best pass-rushing linebacker in football.

4. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans: He's big, strong and corners can't handle him in single coverage. If Schaub stays healthy, his numbers should be huge.

5. Drew Brees, QB, Saints: It's too bad he plays in an era with those two top guys. He's had an amazing three-year run in New Orleans with amazing numbers. Now he needs to win a ring.

6. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals: His playoff run stamped him as one of the top two receivers in the league. He's only scratching his potential, which is scary.

7. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings: He puts fear in defenses every time he touches the ball. Imagine if he had real help from the passing game.

8. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders: Nobody throws at him. That's the ultimate sign of respect. He's finally getting some now.

9. Jared Allen, DE, Vikings: He's an all-out player who never lets up. He creates problems with his power and his speed. Turning around his off-field problems has really helped.

10. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers: Two Super Bowl titles in five seasons is amazing. He seems to grow as a passer each season. The game can be won on his right arm, which he showed in the Super Bowl.

11. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Redskins: When he's on the field, he's a game disrupter. The only concern would be how he plays after getting the big check from the Redskins.

12. Ed Reed, S, Ravens: He isn't the big hitter some of the other safeties can be, but he's the best playmaker of them all. And he's a willing tackler.

13. Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers: After a down season in 2007, he bounced back with a good one last season. His contract is an issue, but he will play in 2009. You wait and see.

14. Shawne Merriman, OLB, Chargers: He missed all but one game last season with a knee injury, but he's on schedule to be back at 100 percent by the open of the season. He's a lot like Ware when he's healthy.

15. James Harrison, OLB, Steelers: He's the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He can rush, and he showed in the Super Bowl that he could cover with his pick for a score. He plays a nasty game.

16. Ryan Clady, T, Broncos: As a rookie in 2008 he allowed a half a sack. That's amazing. He's that good. He's the next great left tackle in a league with good ones.

17. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots: With Tom Brady back, his numbers should skyrocket. He can still run by defensive backs.

18. Dwight Freeney, DE, Colts: He's a speed rusher who might be the most disruptive edge rusher when he's healthy. He has an impact on the game even when he's not getting sacks.

19. Mario Williams, DE, Texans: The past two seasons have taught us that this is a premier pass rusher, even if his sack numbers went down last season. Still think he shouldn't have been the top pick?

20. Philip Rivers, QB, Chargers: He carried the Chargers last season. They are now his team, not L.T.'s. Rivers really elevated his game last season. He's a tough guy. Some will see this as high, but I love this guy.

21. Kevin Williams, DT, Vikings: He plays the run well and he can rush the passer as well as any inside player.

22. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos: The chic thing is to say his skills are eroding. I don't buy it. He's still one of the best.

23. Terrell Suggs, OLB, Ravens: He's in the prime of his career, and his rush ability is vital to the Baltimore defense. He can also play in coverage.

24. Steve Smith, WR, Panthers: As the only true threat in the passing game, he sees way too many doubles and still puts up big numbers. Imagine if he had help.

25. Steve Hutchinson, G, Vikings: After a drop in play in 2007, Hutchinson regained the top spot at the position last season.

26. Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals: Coming off arm problems, he's back throwing again, which is why he's this high. When he's healthy, he might be even higher. Bashers take note: Brady stays in the second spot coming off his injury, so Palmer stays this high.

27. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts: He has been the Colts' go-to guy the past two seasons and with Marvin Harrison gone, there isn't a doubt. He's undervalued by most.

28. Patrick Willis, ILB, 49ers: He's a tackling machine. In two years, he's established himself as one of the league's best defensive players.

29. Kurt Warner, QB, Cardinals: At his age, he remains a big-time passer. His ability to stand in against the rush is as good as any. It's a treat watching him carve up defenses, but it's even better talking to him.

30. Adrian Wilson, S, Cardinals: He showed his value to the nation last year during the Cardinals' Super run. He's a violent tackler and excels in the blitz game. He is Mr. Cardinal.

31. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons: Even at 33 he continues to put up huge numbers. Now that he's in an offense with a good quarterback, those numbers will be even better. He has three Pro Bowl type years left.

32. Michael Roos, T, Titans: He doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he's one of the best. Forms half of the best tackle tandems in the game with David Stewart.

33. Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys: He's a great threat in the middle of the field and has improved as a blocker. Tony Romo loves him and with T.O. gone he might be even more of a factor.

34. Darnell Dockett, DT, Cardinals: He is quick and relentless and was a big reason the Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl. His contract issue is clouding things heading into this season, but he'll play.

35. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers: He bounced back from a sub-par 2007 season to have a good 2008 season. He has improved in pass coverage greatly from his early days.

36. Kris Jenkins, DT, Jets: He rejuvenated his career after being traded to the Jets. He's a large man who anchors in against the run.

37. Clinton Portis, RB, Redskins: He just keeps on putting up huge numbers. Hard to believe he's only 27.

38. Bob Sanders, S, Colts: The only thing that has held him back has been the injuries. If he can stay healthy, he can be as good as any at this position.

39. Brandon Marshall, WR, Broncos: When he's on the field, he puts up huge numbers. The off-the-field stuff is a concern.

40. Jahri Evans, G, Saints: Most don't pay enough attention to this athletic, strong guard. He should be in Pro Bowls. Scouts rave about him.

41. Chris Snee, G, Giants: He's much more than the son-in-law of coach Tom Coughlin. He's a mauler in the run game.

42. Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers: He wasn't the same last season as injuries bothered him. If he's healthy, he's higher on this list.

43. Vince Wilfork, NT, Patriots: Over the past two seasons, he has developed into a top nose tackle. He is entering a contract year, so look for a big one.

44. DeMeco Ryans, LB, Texans: He's an every-down linebacker who keys the Houston defense. As the team gets more exposure, so will he.

45. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: He had a huge season in 2008, rushing for 1,515 yards and 18 touchdowns. His 5.5 average shows his big-play ability.

46. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Titans: He's a short corner, but he plays big. He doesn't back down. He's a good cover player and a good tackler.

47. Darrelle Revis, CB, Jets: In his second season in 2008, he emerged as a premier cover player. He'll be a Pro Bowl player for a long time.

48. Michael Turner, RB, Falcons: He answered a lot of questions last season as to whether he could be a feature back. Now he has to show he can do it again.

49. Donovan McNabb, QB, Eagles: He bounced back from his benching to have a big season in 2008 and a very good postseason. With a lot of weapons on board now, plus a big line, I think he will be even better in 2009.

50. Justin Tuck, DE, Giants: He's a dominant pass rusher who emerged as a Pro Bowl player last season. Getting back Osi Umenyiora on the other side will help him be even better

Just missed: Ray Lewis, LB, Ravens; Joe Thomas, T, Browns; LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Steelers; Greg Jennings, WR, Packers; Brian Westbrook, RB, Eagles; Jordan Gross, T, Panthers; Steven Jackson, RB, Rams; Richard Seymour, DE, Patriots; Jon Beason, LB, Panthers; Jerod Mayo, LB, Patriots; Asante Samuel, CB, Eagles; Jake Long, T, Dolphins; Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions; Joey Porter, OLB, Dolphins; Roddy White, WR, Falcons; Davin Joseph, G, Bucs; Shaun Rogers, DT, Browns; Wes Welker, WR, Patriots; Charles Woodson, CB, Packers; D'Qwell Jackson, LB, Browns; Tony Romo, QB, Cowboys; Terrell Owens, WR, Bills; Jay Cutler, QB, Bears; Andre Gurode, C, Cowboys.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I think Prisco thinks his main job is to be controversial. Most of the time he's even more strident and annoying (even in the face of overwhelming evidence) than Mike Florio. I rarely read his columns anymore.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Thank ya!
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
14 years ago
I argued for like a week that Peyton Manning was the best player in the league. The guy screamed that the only reason he was good was because of his team.

I was so surprised that this was such a shock to the guy. I thought everyone knew Manning was THEE man in this league.

EDIT: Andre needs to come play WR for us. He's going nowhere fast in Houston.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Brady is superior to P Manning.

My God. Do we have to do this again and again every freaking year?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Gravedigga
14 years ago
Where is the Favre???List is BS without Farrrrrrr
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Cheesey
14 years ago

Where is the Favre???List is BS without Farrrrrrr

"Gravedigga" wrote:

It's not a list of the OLDEST players in the NFL!
LOLOLOL!!! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

My God. Do we have to do this again and again every freaking year?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Umm, yes. Why? Because players like Adrian Peterson were not in the NFL say, three years ago?

It's interesting to see how some people rank players from year to year. The increases, declines, etc.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (10h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (16h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (18h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (20h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (20h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (20h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (21h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (21h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.