dfosterf
14 years ago
Joke title, but really an excellent, quick way to get caught up on the Bears "progress" for 2009.

28 days to camp- Reviewing the top 10 issues from a year ago 

28 days to Camp: Reviewing the top 10 issues from a year ago
By
Brad Biggs
on July 3, 2009 5:58 AM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBacks (0)

Thought it would be interesting to turn back the clock a year and look at some of the storylines surrounding the Bears at that time and how they turned out.

We ran a list of 10 issues facing the organization entering training camp in the print edition last July. We'll include a short synopsis of each one.

1. QB derby. Amid swirling rumors that the Bears may have interest in Chris Simms as a No. 3 quarterback, we still don't know who the No. 1 will be. Leave it to the Bears to do this.
ONE YEAR LATER: What a difference that one year makes. The addition of Jay Cutler via trade with the Denver Broncos makes this the most-anticipated training camp in years. While quarterback carousels dominated camp news in the past the hope is that Cutler will lock down the position for close to a decade. That doesn't mean Cutler won't be a daily storyline in camp. Prepare for QB stories written every which way.

2. Defense first. The Bears plummeted to 28th in team defense last season and it's yet to be determined if it was an injury-induced aberration, or a signal that Bob Babich could be on the hot seat.
ONE YEAR LATER: That defense didn't perform a whole lot better in 2008 and injuries were not reason to blame. Babich has effectively been demoted and Lovie Smith will now call the plays on defense. This remains a valid question moving into 2009. Can the Bears' defense return to championship form? The Bears have tried changing players, they've invested heavily in many players and they've certainly shuffled through an inordinate number of coaches on the defensive side of the ball. Next to come under real fire could be the defensive scheme if things don't change. Rod Marinelli represents the fourth line coaching for Smith entering his sixth season as head coach. Babich will be the third linebackers coach in as many seasons. Jon Hoke becomes the fourth secondary coach.

3. Face of the franchise. This could all of a sudden become the No. 1 storyline if Brian Urlacher's ongoing contract squabble blows up. Even if he isn't in camp--and who knows what the chances are for this--he'll be game ready come the regular season because he's a workout warrior. Some have been concerned about a decline in play because he didn't make the Pro Bowl, but at the end of last season Urlacher was playing as well as any defensive player in the league.
ONE YEAR LATER: Urlacher's contract demands were met with an $18 million, one-year extension but Cutler could fast become the face of the franchise. Now two years removed from the Pro Bowl, Urlacher is being paid like an elite player. Perhaps he will benefit from Smith running the defense.

4. Line dance. None of the other rebuilding phases on offense will be particularly successful if the overhauled line doesn't mesh. Rookie Chris Williams will be the key and his development in the coming weeks at left tackle is critical.
ONE YEAR LATER: The Bears managed to do fine on the line last season and Williams had nothing to do with the success. Line coach Harry Hiestand has quietly done a terrific job for several seasons and there's another rebuilding project in the works that finds Williams on the right side this time. The key this time around could be keeping left tackle Orlando Pace healthy but the emergence of Williams is essential not just for this season but for the longterm. The good thing is the Bears have plenty of depth here.

5. Born to run. There certainly won't be a distraction this summer with Cedric Benson having to answer a myriad of questions unrelated to his failed efforts to live up to his status as the fourth pick in the '05 draft. Matt Forte certainly won't be under pressure to exceed Benson's production. It's about replacing Thomas Jones, remember him? Forte is a gifted runner who the Bears believe is a first-round talent.
ONE YEAR LATER: The Bears were on the money when they said Forte was a first-round talent. Preserving him will be key this season as he wore down by season's end. Forte can be one of the top backs in the league while still sharing some of the work with a rejuvenated Kevin Jones.

6. Hesterized. The company line is the Bears are never going to prevent Devin Hester from excelling at what he does best--return kicks. But there's an issue of how much he will be used as a wide receiver and how that will impact his availability for special teams. Hester is on a historic pace as a future Hall of Fame return man and you can understand the desire to get the ball in his hands more.
ONE YEAR LATER: As much as getting Hester back to form as a return man would help special teams, the Bears badly need him to develop as a wide receiver because they simply don't have many alternatives on their roster. Hester's role on offense is paramount and special teams takes a back seat.

7. Special stuff. While the Bears took a step back on defense, at least temporarily, and have never gotten their act together on offense under Lovie Smith, the one area you have always been able to count on is Dave Toub's special teams unit. There are two concerns now, topped by the dilemma involving Hester. Second, while there are a lot of potential replacements, losing Pro Bowl stalwart Brendon Ayanbadejo creates a hole on the coverage teams.
ONE YEAR LATER: With a lot of inexperienced players, Toub still managed to finish in the top 10 last season. There's no question Ayanbadejo's playmaking ability and leadership was missed. They'll continue their search for a replacement this season.

8. Catching on. Expectations are created by two things: contract status and draft position. That helps you shape your vision for the corps of receivers. None are highly paid or came highly drafted. Bernard Berrian is gone after developing into a fine deep threat and the Bears don't have a No. 1. The question is do they have a No. 2 or a team of No. 3's.
ONE YEAR LATER: As much as things change, they remain the same. This storyline is magnified now with the arrival of Cutler. Earl Bennett is being counted on for major production and after him the Bears are looking at rookies or perhaps Brandon Rideau along with Rashied Davis.

9. True leader. Veteran Mike Brown is beloved by Bears fans for all the right reasons. He's the emotional leader of the team and an outstanding player when healthy. The Bears are 14-2 in the last 16 games he's started and haven't lost a game he's started and finished since Oct. 9, 2005 at Cleveland, the loss that led him to assess that the team "sucked" at the time. But it's almost shocking the club has stuck with him as long as it has. As much as you'd like to dismiss his injuries as happenstance and bad luck, there's a track record here. He's never had a problem making it to the regular season healthy and his body must hold up. The question here is do the Bears have another free safety?
ONE YEAR LATER: We'll find out for sure this time around. Craig Steltz is being promoted by the team heading into camp but he was drafted as a strong safety. Stay tuned.

10. Return to form. As much as Brown's absence plagued the defense you can make a case the team missed cornerback Nathan Vasher more when he was sidelined 12 games with a torn groin muscle. Vasher is at full strength and should look like the Pro Bowl player he's been in the past. The defense also needs right end Mark Anderson to bounce back from a second-half slump.
ONE YEAR LATER: The Bears are still waiting for Vasher and Anderson to return to form. Vasher looks to have some positive momentum moving toward training camp. Anderson will find out what it's like to go to work for new defensive line coach Rod Marinelli. If both bounce back it will be a big step for a defense looking to get its swagger back.

Some of these will no doubt wind up on the top 10 list going into camp later this month. We'll get into that more as the month moves along.

Dulak
14 years ago
Bears arnt sounding too good this year; even with cutler. The viks will be our biggest challenge in the NFC north IMO this year. The bears - well they will be good practice dummies for our other games.

No idea what to expect out of the lions. Should be decent IMO thier 0-16 was a fluke; shouldnt be too hard for them to pull a 5-11 this season.

It's going to be curious to see how our team does with all our changes this past season (D fixes), Oline changes, and ST changes. Havnt done much with our O players really (most change was a new fullback but thats it).

Our TEs still blow, our WRs rock, and our RBs pound away at them - maybe well use 4 rbs this year?

I know this article is about the bears but what am I supposed to say? We going to kick their butt and take names this year. We traded games last year. This year they wont win any I predict. They got nothing on us.

Ok maybe their TEs might burn our LBers some ... thats about it. Their RB is nothing special just a guy whom can run and catch
Orygunfan76
14 years ago

Bears arnt sounding too good this year; even with cutler. The viks will be our biggest challenge in the NFC north IMO this year. The bears - well they will be good practice dummies for our other games.

No idea what to expect out of the lions. Should be decent IMO thier 0-16 was a fluke; shouldnt be too hard for them to pull a 5-11 this season.

It's going to be curious to see how our team does with all our changes this past season (D fixes), Oline changes, and ST changes. Havnt done much with our O players really (most change was a new fullback but thats it).

Our TEs still blow, our WRs rock, and our RBs pound away at them - maybe well use 4 rbs this year?

I know this article is about the bears but what am I supposed to say? We going to kick their butt and take names this year. We traded games last year. This year they wont win any I predict. They got nothing on us.

Ok maybe their TEs might burn our LBers some ... thats about it. Their RB is nothing special just a guy whom can run and catch

"Dulak" wrote:

Wow really, seems like a total homer post to me. If you think Matt Forte is not a special back just go back to last season and look at what he did facing 8 plus in the box all year long last season because the Bears QB Orton was not respected by any defense, and behind a worse O-line. Seriously, what makes you think the Bears won't be better this season with the improvements they've made? Really, I'm curious as to how you've come to your conclusion on the 09 Bears, who have yet to even play a preseason game? I wouldn't let blind homerism or over-optimism cloud your judgement on the Bears progress in the 09 offseason. Division games are usually tough and I see this division as up for grabs in 09. All teams in the NFC North have improved.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Wow really, seems like a total homer post to me. If you think Matt Forte is not a special back just go back to last season and look at what he did facing 8 plus in the box all year long last season because the Bears QB Orton was not respected by any defense, and behind a worse O-line. Seriously, what makes you think the Bears won't be better this season with the improvements they've made? Really, I'm curious as to how you've come to your conclusion on the 09 Bears, who have yet to even play a preseason game? I wouldn't let blind homerism or over-optimism cloud your judgement on the Bears progress in the 09 offseason. Division games are usually tough and I see this division as up for grabs in 09. All teams in the NFC North have improved.

"Dulak" wrote:

Yeah, listen to the Bears fan.

I agree. The Bears are overrated in the NFL and underrated over here. Cutler is a good QB, no doubt about it. Looking at it realistically, though, his numbers have never been among the elite in anything but yardage. Any QB can get elite yardage if you throw the amount of passes the Broncos had been doing. Don't get me wrong, he's a big upgrade, but he's no the messiah that half the NFL looks for him to be.

Had the Bears still had the defense and the rest of the offense of the 2006 season, you might've gone very far, but this defense is declining and both the O-line and receiver corpse are far less impressive. Only thing that the Bears have running for them over the 2006 season is a young RB and QB. Great to build around. I don't know where they're going for this season, though. I'd go with another 9-7 season. Not as negative as my post sounds, but I think that the NFC is still somewhat of a 3-way battle, with all the teams still having some quite big holes.
Orygunfan76
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

I agree. The Bears are overrated in the NFL and underrated over here. Cutler is a good QB, no doubt about it. Looking at it realistically, though, his numbers have never been among the elite in anything but yardage. Any QB can get elite yardage if you throw the amount of passes the Broncos had been doing. Don't get me wrong, he's a big upgrade, but he's no the messiah that half the NFL looks for him to be.

Had the Bears still had the defense and the rest of the offense of the 2006 season, you might've gone very far, but this defense is declining and both the O-line and receiver corpse are far less impressive. Only thing that the Bears have running for them over the 2006 season is a young RB and QB. Great to build around. I don't know where they're going for this season, though. I'd go with another 9-7 season. Not as negative as my post sounds, but I think that the NFC is still somewhat of a 3-way battle, with all the teams still having some quite big holes.

"Dulak" wrote:

Who said I was a Bears fan? I'm definitely an NFC North fan, I'm old school and I love the tradition in this division. I try and look at all of these teams objectively and I seriously think this is anyboys division. The Bears went 9-7 last season with almost the same team they have now yet with Kyle(can't throw a 30 yard pass) Orton under center and a pretty shotty O-line. I believe their O-line will be much improved(Pace, Omiyale, Schaffer), nowhere to go but up really. I think the Bears can win at least one more game this season. Other than a good QB and RB, the Bears also have great TEs, a top 5 special teams unit returning and with Rod Marinelli now coaching thye D-line I think the pass rush could be scary good. I definitely see a weakness at safety for the Bears though and the Wr's are a huge ? as well. On defense, they did just sign a pretty good LB(Piso) added to the Briggs /Urlacher duo and that is an improvent over Hillenmeyer in my opinion. This is a different Bears team than last season and I feel that they are definitely not a team to sleep on.

BTW Molder,I just noticed your location. How's the climate in the Netherlands right now?
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Who said I was a Bears fan? I'm definitely an NFC North fan, I'm old school and I love the tradition in this division. I try and look at all of these teams objectively and I seriously think this is anyboys division. The Bears went 9-7 last season with almost the same team they have now yet with Kyle(can't throw a 30 yard pass) Orton under center and a pretty shotty O-line. I believe their O-line will be much improved(Pace, Omiyale, Schaffer), nowhere to go but up really. I think the Bears can win at least one more game this season. Other than a good QB and RB, the Bears also have great TEs, a top 5 special teams unit returning and with Rod Marinelli now coaching thye D-line I think the pass rush could be scary good. I definitely see a weakness at safety for the Bears though and the Wr's are a huge ? as well. On defense, they did just sign a pretty good LB(Piso) added to the Briggs /Urlacher duo and that is an improvent over Hillenmeyer in my opinion. This is a different Bears team than last season and I feel that they are definitely not a team to sleep on.

BTW Molder,I just noticed your location. How's the climate in the Netherlands right now?

"Dulak" wrote:

Just noticed that you jumped on a lot of discussions about the Bears. Mainly as an advocate of their play. Figured you might be a Bears fan, as you stated earlier on that you didn't didn't want to state the team you rooted for so your points would come over more unbiased. Just a wild guess, really.

And it's warm over here. Way too warm for my standards. It's been around 25-30 degrees the last couple of days interrupted by some big storms.

You make some good points, though. Like I said, I think that the Bears are overrated with Cutler by most of the NFL, yet, underrated over here. I think that they'll be a 9-7 team again. Most scary thing is, is the age of most of their offensive skill positions. They have good young guys. I think their window on defense has been though, and that they're trying to hang in there by signing the Rams LB earlier on. If they manage to get some youth along the O-line and most defensive positions, they're going to be a scary team for quite some time to come.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
You call 25-30 degrees way too warm? That's barely above room temperature, man! Try the 50-55 degree heat of Iraq and then get back to me about warm. :violent3:

:microwave:
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

You call 25-30 degrees way too warm? That's barely above room temperature, man! Try the 50-55 degree heat of Iraq and then get back to me about warm. :violent3:

:microwave:

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Hah. I'm not used to Iraq. I just know that I don't like anything above 25 degress, apart from when I'm in the swimming pool. Can't get to sleep very well in this weather. :cyclopsani:
Formo
14 years ago
Holy crap.. I totally spaced that you guys were talking Celsius and not Fahrenheit.. lol

And, I'm with Rock. Even though I work in blistering heat (literally), I still love 65 degrees F/18 C as my most comfortable.

True 'Norseman'/Scandinavian here. =D

Oops, and now on topic: I personally think this year will be a big year for the NFC North. I see big time improvements with the Lions and Bears, and a new, unknown defense added to the Pack, will just make competition that much more harder for the defending NFC North Champs. I still think the Bears wind up in 2nd place again..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Orygunfan76
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Just noticed that you jumped on a lot of discussions about the Bears. Mainly as an advocate of their play. Figured you might be a Bears fan, as you stated earlier on that you didn't didn't want to state the team you rooted for so your points would come over more unbiased. Just a wild guess, really.

And it's warm over here. Way too warm for my standards. It's been around 25-30 degrees the last couple of days interrupted by some big storms.

You make some good points, though. Like I said, I think that the Bears are overrated with Cutler by most of the NFL, yet, underrated over here. I think that they'll be a 9-7 team again. Most scary thing is, is the age of most of their offensive skill positions. They have good young guys. I think their window on defense has been though, and that they're trying to hang in there by signing the Rams LB earlier on. If they manage to get some youth along the O-line and most defensive positions, they're going to be a scary team for quite some time to come.

"Dulak" wrote:

I understand but no one seems yo be talking Vikings or Lions though. This division will be competitive for all 4 teams eventually and that's something that hasn't ben seen for quite some time in the North.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (55m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (58m) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (59m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (1h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.