dfosterf
14 years ago
I had stopped checking...seemed like no one was minding the store at JS Online.

Don't those folks know we need Packers stuff 24/7/365 ?

Capers upbeat as Packers install 3-4 

Capers upbeat as Packers install the 3-4
By Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: July 4, 2009

Mark Hoffman
New defensive coordinator Dom Capers brings a new look 3-4 system to Green Bay.

Green Bay Lambeau Field is lifeless. Nothing rustles through the tunnels, no one is coming or going.

Green Bay Packers coaches have scattered to golf courses and resort destinations.

Maybe even Mike McCarthy will be able to get out on Sturgeon Bay for a rare escape on the water and some fishing.

New defensive coordinator Dom Capers isn't far behind, using this annual down time in July to relax and recharge. But on this summer break the NFL coaching veteran of 23 years will drag along a box full of playbooks and notes, ideas and to-do lists.

"Probably not a day goes by that I don't spend a little bit of time thinking about this," Capers said recently. "But I have a much better feel than when we started."

At the conclusion of the Packers' minicamp in June, Capers tried to assess the last six months in which he and his newly assembled defensive staff worked the kind of long days usually seen only in the middle of the season. It's time-consuming to start from scratch with a new team, but this staff also is changing the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme.

Many questions will be answered about this defense when training camp starts Aug. 1. But until then, Capers has addressed many issues facing him and the 2009 Packers defense, starting with first-round draft pick B.J. Raji.

"Exceptional athlete for a guy his size," Capers said of the lineman. "I've been impressed by how fast he picks things up. There's obviously a lot to learn, but he normally doesn't repeat errors twice."

Not long after Raji was drafted with the Packers' ninth overall pick, McCarthy talked about Raji's potential and even mentioned him in a backup role. Raji played inside and on the end throughout off-season practices. But Raji already has made an impression on Capers, and it's possible he could compete for a starting role when the players put on full pads and hit each other in training camp.

"I don't want to anoint anybody as a starter right now. But obviously when you pick a guy with the ninth pick, he certainly has the ability to start," Capers said. "Now, guys have to go out and they earn it. He's been here working extremely hard. The next phase is to see how he looks with the pads on. I would say that there are many positions that will be based on what we see guys doing in training camp."

As for the change to the 3-4, Capers said he threw a lot at the players and really challenged them.

"I thought it was important to touch on this as much as we can so when they come back for training camp they've heard it, they've been through it," Capers said. "We certainly aren't there yet. I'm glad we'll get training camp to go through."

Keeps options open
Capers said he has tried to keep an open mind when evaluating his players, considering what he has asked of them. But again, it appears jobs will be won and lost in August. Evaluation is very limited when football players just wear their shells and hold up rather than tackle.
"Things are going to change when we come back here and put the pads on," Capers emphasized. "Your opinions change in certain areas, dramatically, once the guys put the pads on. I've had too many years where, what we do in shorts out here, you come off real excited about the guy. And then you put the pads on and some guy's stock goes up and some guy's stock goes down."

Capers said he still wanted the flexibility of going from the 3-4 back to the 4-3 when needed. While Pittsburgh and Baltimore were the top two defenses statistically in the NFL last year, with 3-4 schemes, Capers likes the unpredictability of having the option to play the 4-3.

In Aaron Kampman, who has switched from defensive end to linebacker, Capers said he saw a lot of progress.
"You don't have to be around Aaron for very long to see that he's a true pro," Capers said. "Attention to detail guy. He's very bright, picks up things well. He's worked extremely hard at this and he's made progress. I like what I see."

Safety Nick Collins, who skipped most of the organized team activities and most of minicamp, does have time to make up, and Capers said the staff will try to help him do that. But Collins is not the so-called quarterback of the defense anymore, so his absence doesn't hurt the Packers there. That responsibility is shared now.

"We don't put it on one guy. At practice you hear a lot of communication. We do that purposefully to get everybody involved," Capers said. "Everyone has some type of communication responsibility before the snap. We think that mentally keeps them involved as opposed to, just go out there, once the ball is snapped, I have to keep my assignment."
As for Nick Barnett, Capers was pleased that the linebacker was working hard and had been present for meetings and jog-through workouts; however, Capers has yet to see Barnett's real ability as he rehabilitates an injured knee.

Capers' assistants also have spent time working together to make sure they have their message right before sending it to the players. "Our job is to take as much of the gray area out for the players," Capers said.

Capers said secondary coach Darren Perry was one of the best-communicating safeties he had ever coached and said that ability translates well to coaching.

Confident in Greene
But of course the presence of assistant linebackers coach Kevin Greene is the one felt most on the field. Greene knows the scheme so well from playing it in Pittsburgh and Carolina that "right away he has credibility because he's done it," Capers said.

After 15 years in the NFL as a 3-4 outside linebacker, Greene takes his first shot at coaching that very position. Based on his past experiences with Greene, Capers gave an overwhelming endorsement for Greene's potential as a coach.
"Very conscientious, very good work ethic, very good attention to detail," Capers said. "Those are all the things that gave him the ability to excel and play for a long time. Those are the same things that will make him an excellent coach."

Capers based his opinion on knowing Greene and how he handled the business side of the NFL when he was playing well for the Steelers.
"You can go from way up here to down here in a hurry. It's a humbling business," Capers said. "We were fortunate to get Kevin in Carolina because his contract was up in Pittsburgh. You were getting a guy that led the league in sacks two years before that. And he comes out and leads the league in sacks for us.

"I'm sure at that point he was disappointed he hadn't gotten the big contract. But classy guys handle those things and he said that's part of the business. You don't make excuses for it. You say, 'What can I do about it?' To me, that's what you're always evaluating in players."

The pressure is on Capers and the Packers defense to turn it around and play well in 2009, even with the new scheme. There's no time to grow into it. This is a performance-based league, Capers said.

"I don't want our guys thinking, OK, it's going to take us until midseason to catch on," Capers said. "We expect to be ready to play when the time comes to play."

That is a GREAT article.

Thank you Lori for coming off the barbecue for us addicts!
djcubez
14 years ago
I love our offseason additions on the coaching staff. Greene and Perry sound great.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I am glad Capers is optimistic, but I do find myself wondering if he would express pessimism this early in the cycle even if he felt it.

Thanks for filling the Packers void for today.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago
Just like other years I'm fine with the defense with the starters in... it's just when people start getting injured, the defense start to go down.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
Great read...

But Collins is not the so-called quarterback of the defense anymore, so his absence doesn't hurt the Packers there. That responsibility is shared now.

"I don't want our guys thinking, OK, it's going to take us until midseason to catch on," Capers said. "We expect to be ready to play when the time comes to play."

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I liked that line too, LT. I hope it means that Capers will be willing to bench starters if they don't live up to expectations. Our previous defensive coordinator was too soft on mediocre performance.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
I always thought the safety was the qb in the 3-4. The likes of Ed Reed and Troy P (not going to attempt to spell it lol) are always talked about as being the qb of the defense.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago

I always thought the safety was the qb in the 3-4. The likes of Ed Reed and Troy P (not going to attempt to spell it lol) are always talked about as being the qb of the defense.

"dhazer" wrote:

Different positions have different responsibilities for communication. For Baltimore, Ed Reed may call out some things, but you also see Ray Lewis directing the other LBs and D Lineman on where they should be before the snap.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Different positions have different responsibilities for communication. For Baltimore, Ed Reed may call out some things, but you also see Ray Lewis directing the other LBs and D Lineman on where they should be before the snap.

"dhazer" wrote:

There's a reason that Safeties tend to be those leader types, though. They can see what's going on. LBs are usually zoned in on the LoS, especially ILBs, looking at the Guard, Center, Guard, QB, FB, HB, for as far as I know. CBs are tuned into the WRs/TEs and the safety would usually play a deep zone, making it easy for him to scan the field and what not.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure that a LB could do this. Problem is, who would do this for us? Hawk? Barnett? Hawk looks like a very smart guy, but very often it seems that he has to see the play develop entirely untill he moves in. At least, it did look like that last year.

As for injuries. I think the only place that that could hit us hard on defense is along the D-line. We have quite a stable of LBs (At least, outside ones) and DBs (We didn't skip a beat when Harris was gone last year, not even with the absence of our safeties). Biggest thing for me is the D-line, by far.
14 years ago
I'll would not bet on Collins being there after his contract is up.

Whatever his reasons for not being there, it doesn't help that he is a low Wonderlic, slow learner type. He is now way behind.

That won't impress the new boss.

More than anything I want to see defensive players that know how to tackle and use their arms to wrap up.

Tackling just isn't as good as it was 20-30 years ago.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (8h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (10h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (13h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (14h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.