Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
From the "no kidding" file... but I think the Mickey Mouse comparison is humorous..

PETER JACKEL: Thompson needs a big season 
BY PETER JACKEL
pjackel@journaltimes.com
Monday, July 20, 2009 9:56 PM CDT

As we breathlessly await a puff of smoke to be emitted from the Metrodome a week from today to herald the return of Brett Favre (will a marching band clad in purple and gold enhance the moment with a rendition of Gonna Fly Now?), I just wonder what Ted Thompson is thinking.

My guess is that the Green Bay Packers much maligned general manager will be too consumed with the business at hand to give our favorite drama queen a second thought.

Nevertheless, heat will not be necessary for his Lambeau Field office even when Green Bays weather digs in its heels this winter if these Packers fail in this most crucial of seasons. And if Favres Minnesota Vikings set sail while these Packers plunge into the depths and no one can rule out that set of circumstances Thompson might want to consider leaving Green Bay under the cover of darkness.

And thats really too bad. Not too much mystifies me after so many years in this business, but this utter contempt for Thompson from so many quarters sure does.

I recall listening to a Packers call-in show last September when the Favre soap opera was at its zenith. After one woman called to say, Thompson has to go for what he did to Brett!, the radio host patiently explained that Thompson made a reasonable business decision based on Favres advancing age and his heightening flair for the annual offseason dramatics.

And what was this womens response? Well, you just dont run Mickey Mouse out of Disneyland!

Okaaaaay, now that we have that settled ...

In Thompsons case, I prefer to deal with facts and not emotional issues, the likes of which have no place in the cold reality of the National Football League. And from where I sit, the facts simply dont support that Thompson is lacking as a general manager.

When he was hired to replace Mike Sherman the Scooter McLean of Packers general managers in January 2005, he inherited a team with a talent base that had been eroded to a sliver of soap by Shermans disastrous personnel decisions. And when the Packers were forced to field the remnants of Shermans failed vision in 2005 dare I remind you of Mark Roman, Ahmad Carroll, Robert Thomas, Paris Lenon, Robert Ferguson and B.J. Sander? they skidded to a 4-12 record.

Since Thompson had the opportunity to bulldoze away that rubble, the Packers have gone 27-20 and advanced to the NFC championship game in January 2008. On that Packers team, incidentally, 12 starters and 32 of 45 players active in the championship game against the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants were acquired under Thompsons watch.

As the Packers prepare to get down to business for this season, they will led by Aaron Rodgers, only the second quarterback in NFL history to pass for more than 4,000 yards in his first season as a starter. And they will be stocked with other Thompson-acquired difference makers the likes of Greg Jennings, Nick Collins, Tramon Williams, Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant and a quality haul of rookies led by B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews Jr.

So whats the problem?

That Thompson has seemingly wasted high draft picks on Justin Harrell (can we really write this man off after just two years?) and A.J. Hawk (who just might flourish in the Packers new 3-4 defense)?

That the Packers collapsed last season after losing three crucial defensive players to injury (and, no, I wont conveniently neglect to mention that two of these players, Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett, were acquired by Sherman)?

That Thompson is somewhat clandestine and not nearly as personable as the great Ron Wolf?

That he hasnt pulled a Daniel Snyder and thrown Monopoly money at the latest sensation on the free-agent market?

Or is it that he ran Mickey Mouse out of Disneyland?

So what would have happened if Mickey Mouse would have been allowed to stay in his magic kingdom last year? Jenkins and Barnett still would have been hurt. Favres arm would have still frayed, as it did during his one season with the New York Jets.

And Thompson would have been forced to either pin his hopes this year on a soon-to-be 40-year-old quarterback after another offseason of melodramatics, that is or what would have been a completely unproven Rodgers.

I will be the first to admit this season is crucial for Thompson. This will be his fifth season running the show and his team is in place.

With the personnel Thompson has acquired coupled with an easier schedule, I just cant see these Packers not being in a mix with the elite this December.

And Ill be the first to admit I was wrong.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
14 years ago
makes lot of sense to me
Greg C.
14 years ago
Good column. I agree with the author on pretty much everything. But I'm not mystified by the hatred for Thompson. It's because of Favre. A lot of fans did not like it that Thompson rebuilt much of the team with Favre being in his final years, and Favre being traded was the final straw for those people.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I think this author is wearing green and gold glasses with some comments, specifically the ones regarding Harrell and Hawk. Other than that, I think it was a good read, thank you.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
I think the guy pretty much nailed it on the head. There were a lot of people with the misgivings that all Favre needed back in '05 was a couple more players and that was a croc.

We had four or five starters that shouldn't have been out there and no backups or depth anywhere. Ron Wolfe all but said that roster was a disaster.

The chance for another SB passed by when Sherman couldn't get it done back in '02 and '03. Every year after that the team got thinner and thinner.

We are better off at QB with Rodgers having a year under his belt than a 40 yr old that won't make his mind up until camp starts.

The fact Thompson gets the blame for the whole Favre fiasco is rediculous to me. Here it is TWO years removed from when he said he was through doing everything he can to get back in good enough shape to play. How could have not known one way or the other back then that he still wanted in? All he had to do was say "I'm in" and everything would have been fine. Yet he couldn't say that and yet now two years later he obviously wants to take the field?

This just tells me he made a terrible personal decision back then and then backed it up again later and when he woke up one day realizing the position he put himself in he wouldn't take any responsibility for it.

The sad part of it is he is so loved by many that it doesn't matter what he did somebody else was going to get the blame. We all know who that is.
"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
14 years ago
Warhawk said: "The sad part of it is he is so loved by many that it doesn't matter what he did somebody else was going to get the blame. We all know who that is."

THAT comment 100% NAILED the whole mess. BF will be found guiltless by those that want to keep him as "perfect" in their eyes.
Someone just HAS to be the "scapegoat"......and like you said, we know who that ended up being.

And MOST of those that hate said scapegoat HOPE that the Packers fail, so they can go "See? TOLD you he sucked!" and that will give them more "reasons" for their hate.
I hope, not just for TT's sake, but PACKER fans sake, that the Packers kick butt this year.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
14 years ago
Nice read I agree with most of his opinions, if not all of them.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
If one cuts through all the crap, throws out all the excuses,
bottom line is this is a very important year for TT, Mike McCarthy and the whole Packer organization.

Time to start winning more games than they lose.

The only thing that will change peoples minds are wins.
That is no big secret, it happens everywhere, winning solves all the so-called problems.

Can't wait for the season to begin, no more excuses then, you either have a winning organization or you don't.

Just my Humble opinion.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

bottom line is this is a very important year for Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and the whole Packer organization.

That is no big secret, it happens everywhere, winning solves all the so-called problems.

Can't wait for the season to begin, no more excuses then, you either have a winning organization or you don't.

Just my Humble opinion.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I happen to agree... on paper we have depth in most areas short of the defensive line.. and have had ample opportunity to fill the concerns there...

Time for us to make another respectable run.. and I have the confidence that we have the pieces to make that run.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
IronMan
14 years ago

bottom line is this is a very important year for Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and the whole Packer organization.

Just my Humble opinion.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Bingo. +1.
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (2h) : damn those vikings
beast (3h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (3h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (3h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (3h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (10h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (10h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.