dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

It has been a tradition for players either to walk or ride on kids' bicycles to and from practice, and McCarthy encourages the practice. However, in the last decade, more and more starters and key players have begun jumping into vans driven by St. Norbert personnel after each practice for rides from the field to the facility, making them inaccessible to fans.

What a shame that the players aren't as friendly with the fans and to damn lazy to walk across the parking lot.

here is a link i thought was pretty good

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/51602162.html 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Yup......the ex=Packer star QB was one that chose not to mingle with the fans. All we ever saw of him was on the practice field. He was driven to and from it, and after his first few seasons here he wouldn't sign for ANY fans.
And no, it's NOT just him that does that. Like you said, alot of the "star" players are like that now. They won't lower themselves to take a few minutes each day to sign some autographs.
Thats why i love Ahman Green. Even when he as doing great, he'd come over and sign.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Some players I think it's necessary to be driven to and from. Let's not forget to cross over t hey need to cross a street that is VERY busy, Oneida Street. To have a huge mass of fans following them it would slow traffic down big time. This could be handled of course, but it's just easier to have them driven over there instead of hiring more personnel to ensure safety.

Side note, Sterling Sharpe used to walk. I remember him carrying his helmet and shoes in one hand and his pads in the other. His excuse for not signing autographs? "My hands are full". I offered to hold his shoes an helmet (his pads probably out weighed my 10 year old frame) and he ignored me. He had dozens of people asking him. I could only imagine the huge mass that would have surrounded someone of Brett's caliber.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Oh, for sure!
But i have been at OTA's when there was at the most 15 people waiting for autographs, and Favre STILL wouldn't come over.
He waved when we asked him......kept going right into the building.
How long would have 15 autographs taken?
And we were outside the fence, so he didn't have to worry about being mobbed.
He just didn't care enough to come over to us.
(That happened twice while i was there, when the "crowd" that begged him over was at 15 or less)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Those 15 autographs would turn into more as the word spread that he signed autographs there. I think you forget to recall that Favre had some people taking his autograph, forging it and selling it. I have to believe that played a role in his decision to not sign autographs.

If those 15 received ink, they would tell their friends who tell their friends, etc ... and before you know it, that 15 turns into 300.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
If 15 turned into 300, then i'd understand him not coming over. But that was NOT the case.
As it is, the ONLY way to get his sig now is to pay a rediculous amount of money to get it.
If he signed more for FREE, the value of his sig would go down and less people would be forging it. They forge it because they can make money on it.
Fact is, he makes more money signing his name then a person working their ass off 40 or more hours a week.
That sucks for the people like me that want his autograph for themselves, not to make a buck.
The average person can't afford to dish out $300 or more to get an autograph.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

If 15 turned into 300, then i'd understand him not coming over. But that was NOT the case.
As it is, the ONLY way to get his sig now is to pay a rediculous amount of money to get it.
If he signed more for FREE, the value of his sig would go down and less people would be forging it. They forge it because they can make money on it.
Fact is, he makes more money signing his name then a person working their ass off 40 or more hours a week.
That sucks for the people like me that want his autograph for themselves, not to make a buck.
The average person can't afford to dish out $300 or more to get an autograph.

"Cheesey" wrote:

you havent been to his site lately.

In fact the store in Sun Prairie is closing and online is having HUGE sales

Some pictures with sigs are less than $100...Even had Authentic jerseys SIGNED for 199.00

Wonder why you know who is selling things so cheap??

$79.99
chekc this out 
Cheesey
14 years ago
Well.....if i wanted a Favre Jets thing, i guess that wouldn't be too bad. Even the signed jersey is pretty cheap (compared to "normal", that is)
Guess he's trying to dump stuff to make room for the Vikings crap now.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

Some players I think it's necessary to be driven to and from. Let's not forget to cross over t hey need to cross a street that is VERY busy, Oneida Street. To have a huge mass of fans following them it would slow traffic down big time. This could be handled of course, but it's just easier to have them driven over there instead of hiring more personnel to ensure safety.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Sounds like you guys need an over or underpass. I'll design it for free, so just to see that the riding tradition is continued.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
Yeah it is too bad the players can't take the time to ride or at least walk with the kids anymore.
I liked how some players developed a relationship with a kid by riding with the same one every day and talking to him. They had a chance to make more of an impression on the youngster and be more of a role model to him. Other players would pick a different kid every time just to spread the love around. Both ideas are good ones.
Then there was the ol Gravedigger. Too big for the kid's bikes so he would just walk with the kids and talk to them all the way to the practice field.
I did not blame "4" for taking a car back and forth to practice. It made him look like a primadona to me but if that is what he wanted to do that was fine with me.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

13h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

14h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

15h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.