Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Grandma's long fight for $47 reveals a major problem at DPS

BY ROCHELLE RILEY
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Talk about a hard-earned $47.

It took seven weeks and a battle against five layers of bureaucracy, but Adrienne Randle finally received a check Tuesday from the Detroit Public Schools to replace one that bounced when she tried to cash it for her granddaughter back in July. Marketta Randle, 16, earned the $47 for working one day as a lunch aide at the Golightly Career and Technical Center.

The new check covered the $10 bounced-check fee.

If this is how DPS handles its little financial issues, don't you wonder about the big bucks?

A case for remaking the district

The rubber has met the road -- and it bounced. Now, Detroit Public Schools Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb really must face facts. He has to choose.

Bobb cannot ferret out the criminality and theft that has been routine in DPS while also trying to run the district. The sheer scope of corruption and mismanagement and ineptitude is too great.

Bobb needs to shut down the district and reopen something new, something that parents will stay in the city or move to the city so their children can attend.

Want proof? I give you just the latest example, a bit of absurdity that will make your blood boil.

It involves $47.

That may not seem like much, but when you're a pregnant 16-year-old living in hard economic times, it can mean the world. Here's Adrienne Randle's side of the story:

Check, no balance

In May, her granddaughter, Marketta Randle, a student at Kettering High, took a one-day job at Golightly Career and Technical Center as a lunch aide at a banquet. She earned $47.

When Adrienne Randle, a 52-year-old typist in the Wayne County purchasing department and Marketta's legal guardian, tried to cash the DPS check last month, it bounced. And her bank charged her $10 for the effort.

So ... Randle called Golightly principal Betty Edwards, who apologized profusely and sent a request for payment to Lawanda Taylor, principal accountant in the DPS Office of Accountants.

Two weeks passed.

Randle again called Edwards, whom she cited as the only DPS employee who was gracious and helpful to her. Edwards apologized again and told Randle that Taylor refused to take her calls and refused to see her when she tried to talk to her in person at DPS headquarters.

(Edwards, contacted Tuesday, said she remembered Randle and remembered forwarding her request to the DPS accounting department, but she declined to comment further.)

So, Randle called Taylor, who apologized profusely and said she already had processed a new check, but was awaiting approval to issue it from Delores Brown, the district's deputy financial officer.

(Taylor, contacted Tuesday, said I had to speak with her supervisor, Almon Turner Jr., director of cash management. Turner said Taylor misspoke and that no check had been processed. Brown, who supervises both, did not return phone calls.)

But back to Randle, who was becoming as much investigative reporter as typist. She called Turner herself. He apologized profusely and sent vendor papers to Golightly for Randle to fill out. A suspicious Randle declined, saying, "My granddaughter is not a vendor. This is a lie, and I'm not going to get into trouble."

She also declined to give Turner her granddaughter's Social Security number, which is standard for paychecks, but wasn't needed for the first check -- the one that bounced. Besides, Randle feared that that the number would be misused.

(Turner, reached Tuesday morning after my repeated calls to accounting, said: "I'm aware of the situation, and we're going to write the check today." He then specifically said that Dorothy Menefee, the program supervisor in accounting, was going to write the check without Marketta's Social Security number. Randle later called to tell me that the district's forensic auditor, Joe Jackson, delivered a $57 check to her office at 4 p.m. Tuesday. Randle got back her $10 bank fee.)

'This is the only one' -- or is it?

When I asked Turner how often DPS employees issue bad checks, he said, "As far as I know, this is the only one that's ever happened. Maybe it was a closed school or a closed account."

(Turner's new. He worked for the City of Detroit until last month and may not have known that Golightly's former principal, Laura Royster, was fired in June after an audit accused her of, among other things, using school resources to pay for flowers for her husband's funeral. Her accounts might have been closed, including one for the banquet where Marketta worked.)

When I asked Turner whether DPS allows employees to issue checks without recipients' Social Security numbers, Turner said, "No, are you kidding?"

No, Mr. Turner, I'm not.

So how can the district do such a thing?

"We're going to -- well I shouldn't say," he replied, and directed me to DPS spokesman Steven Wasko, who said that the district, under federal law, routinely issues checks without Social Security numbers for disbursement less than $600. DPS uses a default number, he said.

It took six weeks for Marketta Randle, a pregnant teen who took a job to help buy baby things, to get what DPS owed her. She may have been caught up in one employee's alleged shenanigans at one school. Or she may represent not a tip, but one of thousands of icebergs waiting to sink the school district.

If the district can't handle one bounced $47 check any better than this, how can it possibly clean up multimillion-dollar problems?

Even if Robert Bobb were Superman, he couldn't do the impossible. He needs to shut down the district and start from scratch. It will be easier to catch the criminals -- and create better schools -- than to bail water from a sinking ship.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (17h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (17h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (17h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (18h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.