azrunning
14 years ago
Looking forward to tonights game. I would like to see a little more of a test for the defense vs. a running team. See how well the line plays and how the LB`s fill.
blank
SINCITYCHEEZE
14 years ago
Can't wait to see how we match up against the Tards tonite.To bad I won't be able to see the game till the replay tomorrow morning at 7am p.s.t..(N.F.L.Channel) Damn this work schedule and having to make a living.Really cuts into my Packer time.Hardest part is going to be avoiding any news of how the game goes before I get to watch the replay.
Hope Sutton shows us something with the 1st team tonite.I like what I've seen so far and he won't clear waivers and make it to practice squad if for some reason he doesn't make the squad.
B.J. should show more of the same that we saw last week only more. This guy is a beast and should only get better.
One thing I wonder is,how even better this defense will be once get everybody back to form from injury,it's a scary thought,for our opponents that is.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Scottish_Packer
14 years ago
It's unlikely the Cards will experience anything like the run they had last season. I don't see this game being as difficult as everyone says and I see us comfortably winning.

The Packers are a team on the up, the Cards have peaked and are on their way down.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/08/27/20090827spt-cardsdefense.html 

Cards' defense looks to continue roll

The NFL preseason is a test of patience, the equivalent of driving hours through the desert to reach the ocean.

The regular season - are we there yet?

But if there is any substance to these practice games, it comes in the third one, when most teams play their starters into the third quarter. The Cardinals and Packers plan to do just that Friday night at University of Phoenix Stadium.

For the Cardinals, the game should provide a way to measure their development on defense. Coach Ken Whisenhunt wasn't happy with the unit's inconsistencies last season, so he fired coordinator Clancy Pendergast and promoted linebackers coach Bill Davis.

Davis has preached accountability, communication and teamwork, ideals he thinks will prevent teams from being able to throw the ball over the Cardinals' heads for touchdowns. That happened a lot last year when the Cardinals led the league by yielding 36 touchdown passes.

"If we can consistently stop the deep ball, we have too many athletes on the field," Davis said. "They (opponents) have to go on long, 10-12 play drives, good luck to them."

Up for a challenge

The Packers' first-team offense has been able to do just that in the preseason, scoring touchdowns on five of its six possessions. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers
has completed 13 of 19 for 200 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

"This is a good team we're about to face," Davis said. "Watch out for them this year."

The Cardinals' first-team defense has played well in the two preseason games, both losses. It hasn't given up any points in two quarters of play, although the Chargers completed a 49-yard pass to open the game last Saturday.

"It's 100 percent better than what it was," strong safety Adrian Wilson said. "I think everybody knows what they're doing. I think that was a part of it (last season), people didn't know where they were supposed to be, and they really didn't take the time to study and just know the defense. Now, things aren't as simplified as they were last year, but guys have a year of experience under their belts."

It wasn't just the fault of the secondary last year, although it was burned by the deep ball several times.

Linemen and linebackers missed tackles that led to long touchdowns. Motivation seemed to be lacking in some games, as the Cardinals were blown out three times in the final five games.

"I think there has been an improvement because in practice and in games, there are not a lot of deep balls caught on us because of the attention we've put on it," cornerback Ralph Brown said.

'Tied together'

Davis emphasized that two preseason games is not exactly a large body of work. But he was pleased with much of what his defense did last week against the Chargers.

The Cardinals starters sacked quarterback Philip Rivers four times. One of the sacks, by linebacker Karlos Dansby, led coaches to believe players are understanding the message.

On the play, outside linebacker Chike Okeafor and defensive lineman Darnell Dockett slanted hard to the right. Dansby faked as if to blitz up the middle, then ran around left end. The Chargers tackle didn't pick him and Dansby sacked Rivers for an 11-yard loss.

"But then the next play, it's the linebackers' turn to give it to the defensive line," Davis said. "We talk a lot about linebackers running through gaps, to take a double-team off a defensive lineman. So we (tell them), 'This is what you have to do to take 600 pounds off of them, make it 300 pounds.'

"We're tied together and I think the message is getting across," Davis said.

The Cardinals are counting on sound schemes and better coaching for defensive improvement this year. There are only two new starters, right end Calais Campbell and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

With McFadden and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at cornerback, and Wilson and Antrel Rolle at safeties, the Cardinals might have one of their best secondaries in years.

Wilson, in his ninth season with the Cardinals, isn't willing to go that far yet.

"Everybody has to stay healthy and we have to make sure we stay on the same page," he said. "The chemistry has to be there, I think that's very important. That's No. 1 for me. I know I keep saying it, but that's No. 1 because there were times last year where we weren't on the same page."
blank
14 years ago
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/08/27/20090827spt-cardsfocus.html 

Three areas to watch Friday night as the Cardinals host the Packers:

1. The Cardinals' pass defense: It's shown improvement in two preseason games, but the Packers will provide a good test. QB Aaron Rodgers has played well this preseason.

2. Will a reserve receiver step forward? Anquan Boldin (hamstring) and Steve Breaston (knee) aren't expected to play. That will give Lance Long, Sean Morey, Early Doucet and Onrea Jones more work. They are vying for the fifth and sixth receiver positions.

3. Can LaRod Stephens-Howling repeat last week's performance? A seventh-round pick, Stephens-Howling had two long kick returns against the Chargers. He's also looked good at running back. Another good game likely would secure him a spot on the roster, if he doesn't have it already.
blank
tonyagnese
14 years ago

It's unlikely the Cards will experience anything like the run they had last season. I don't see this game being as difficult as everyone says and I see us comfortably winning.

The Packers are a team on the up, the Cards have peaked and are on their way down.

"Scottish_Packer" wrote:

Yea..a mediocre defense and a mediocre running game usually doesn't equate to a whole lot of success.
blank
tromadz
14 years ago
good links, cali.

No injuries!!!!!!!
tonyagnese
14 years ago

good links, cali.

No injuries!!!!!!!

"tromadz" wrote:

Yea...that's the most important thing right there.
blank
gbguy20
14 years ago

The Cardinals have sucked thusfar on offense, but obviously this doesn't mean that it's time to declare this (preseason) game over and done with.

Things I'd like to see:
1. Not having to punt by not experiencing any fourth downs outside of field goal range
2. Punting, punting, punting. Give our special teams some more gametime action defending punt returns, and see what our man can do.
3. Harris and Woodson. Want to see how they gel with the first team defense in the new scheme.

Things I don't want to see:
1. Penalties abound via the offensive line
2. Our backup quarterbacks not being able to function on a pro level
3. Injuries

"DKF295" wrote:

I have yet to see any of the games so far this preseason, I know woodson and harris missed week 1, but did either of them play last week?
PackerBuddha
14 years ago

The Cardinals have sucked thusfar on offense, but obviously this doesn't mean that it's time to declare this (preseason) game over and done with.

Things I'd like to see:
1. Not having to punt by not experiencing any fourth downs outside of field goal range
2. Punting, punting, punting. Give our special teams some more gametime action defending punt returns, and see what our man can do.
3. Harris and Woodson. Want to see how they gel with the first team defense in the new scheme.

Things I don't want to see:
1. Penalties abound via the offensive line
2. Our backup quarterbacks not being able to function on a pro level
3. Injuries

"gbguy20" wrote:

I have yet to see any of the games so far this preseason, I know woodson and harris missed week 1, but did either of them play last week?

"DKF295" wrote:

Yes they both played, not sure how long they played but they were in there at the start of the game.
UserPostedImage