Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Patriots LB Bruschi retiring after 13 seasons 

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 30 minutes ago

BOSTON (AP)Tedy Bruschi is retiring after a 13-year career marked by an inspiring return to the New England Patriots as a starting linebacker eight months after a stroke.

A person familiar with his decision told The Associated Press on Sunday night that the 36-year-old Bruschi will announce his retirement at a news conference Monday morning. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

The team declined to comment Sunday night and called a news conference for an important player announcement Monday morning.

Bruschi, an inside linebacker, played on all three Super Bowl-winning Patriots teams. The last championship game was on Feb. 6, 2005, against the Philadelphia Eagles. He played in his only Pro Bowl on Feb. 13.

[img_l]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090831/capt.31705071eb08411882544e02efef9757.bruschi_retirement_football_ny155.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc=1&wc=273&hc=303&q=70&sig=gEmc_OUwqVSUhe5RPzmW_Q--[/img_l]Three days later, he was hospitalized after experiencing numbness in his left arm and left leg and blurry vision and was diagnosed with a mild stroke.

He recovered to play nine of the last 10 games that season, all starts, and was named The AP Comeback Player of the Year.

Bruschis play declined last season and he missed much of this years training camp for undisclosed reasons.

His impending retirement was first reported by NBC.

A third-round draft choice out of Arizona in 1996, Bruschi worked his way up from a part-time player and member of special teams units to full-time starter in 1999.

Ive had so many years (when) where you are in September is different than where you are in December, Bruschi said last week. So Ive learned that ever since I was a third-down situational pass-rushing rookie that played on special teams all the way through my entire career, never assume what your role is going to be. Just be ready when your coach calls on you.

Bruschi played sparingly in the Patriots three exhibition games. He sat out the first game then played against Cincinnati in the second.

Obviously, hes a very experienced player and knowing what to do and all of that isnt a huge issue after missing many training camp practices, coach Bill Belichick said after that game. But timing and recognition and reaction times and all of that, thats something that you cant train for. Youve got to be out there and experience it on the field with your teammates.

Last season, the Patriots drafted Jerod Mayo at inside linebacker in the first round and he became the NFL defensive rookie of the year. Gary Guyton, a free agent rookie last season, also developed at that position.

This offseason, the Patriots obtained former Detroit Lions inside linebacker Paris Lenon as a free agent. New England lost its second most experienced linebacker last February when it traded outside linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Bruschi has played in 189 regular-season games, more than any linebacker in club history. His 631 total tackles over the past six seasons are the most on the team in that period.

[img_r]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090831/capt.e29bb2df5a3d45d7a9c0def50cf4fe12.bruschi_retirement_football_ny154.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc=1&wc=297&hc=330&q=70&sig=ddpDd1QLS8bE7AnlFspWEw--[/img_r]For his career, he had 1,134 tackles, 30 1/2 sacks and 12 interceptions, four of which he returned for touchdowns.

Early this summer, Bruschi said he wasnt thinking what he would do after the coming season.

After you get past 10 (NFL seasons), I think thats the way you have to do it because you never know whats going to happen within a year. You just dont, he said June 30 during a football clinic he ran for 67 youngsters at Gillette Stadium. So when the seasons over, you sort of reassess things and thats how its going to go again.

He ran a highly organized program that day in which youngsters took part in various drills.

I know I can coach, he said then. I know the game. Ive been in it so long, its just going to be a matter of what I do when Im done (playing). So I dont know. Its a passion of mine. I love football. I know I want to be in it. Lets just see what Ill be doing.

Last season, his 75 tackles were his second fewest in six seasons, more than the 65 he had when he played nine games in 2005 after his stroke. He had no sacks for the first time in his 13 seasons. And he missed the last three games with a knee injury.

He almost certainly will be remembered most for his comeback from the stroke. He had surgery to repair a hole in his heart and, as he got better, kept working out and attending team meetings.

On Oct. 30 that year Bruschi started at inside linebacker at home and made 10 tackles in a 21-16 win over the Buffalo Bills.

To not give it a shot was something that would have eaten me up five, 10 years down the road, he said then. So I was like, Lets just do it now and not wait because Ive been cleared to do it.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Pretty amazing career. He beat the odds by coming back like he did.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
great guy - hopefully his dreams of being involved in football will come to fruition.
Pack93z
14 years ago
I don't mince any of my thoughts or opinions of the jagoff that coaches the Patriots.. but Bruschi is a hell of a player and IMO has shown a ton of class in his playing days.

Enjoy retirement from the playing surface... but we will see you again around the game. Personally.. I think he will be a Kevin Greene type in the next several years.. leaping for joy for his players on the field.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Yes, I've always pulled for Bruschi, despite the fact he was on one of my least favorite teams in the league. His amazing comeback was inspiring, almost more dramatic than Harris' return last year. I still find it scary that a man can have a stroke in the prime of his life. It's sobering to realize none of us has any guarantees from moment to moment. Best wishes to Bruschi in ret irement, and I agree with Pack that we'll probably be seeing him on the sidelines or in the booth in the not-too-distant future.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
Every team needs one, very few teams actually get theirs. What an amazing stable force for that defense for so long. Any team will be lucky to get his understanding of the game on the sidelines and in the practice rooms.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Formo
14 years ago
Ahh.. Teddy B. My salute to him:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
nyrpack
14 years ago
not a pats fan, but he was a true warrior, who iwould have loved on the pack !!
jimmy b.
xavierlee9
14 years ago
Class act of a guy. Seems like he'd be good in a booth, or on TV somewhere.
UserPostedImage
loosenut
14 years ago
It's going to be weird to not see him on the field. He's been playing as long as I've been a fan of the game.

His comeback from the stroke was really inspirational!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (9h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (13h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (14h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (16h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (16h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (17h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.