longtimefan
14 years ago
I think Zeros theory could very well be part of it..It could just be that sandmans source isnt/wasnt aware of them bringing him in to help "teach" others on the 3-4

And for the record Zero, it makes me a fast poster and not a clear thinker :P

Had a million and one things to do at that time, but wanted to get my thoughts out, sorry for misleading ya
55sandman
14 years ago

That's spin NSD... don't believe that. Do you think Bishop takes chances? What about Woodson or Harris? Playmakers all take chances, that how big plays are made. People don't get cut for making big plays in the NFL... just doesn't happen.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

It's one thing to make plays, but it's another to continuously gamble even when you shouldn't.

The first two pre-season games Smith openly admitted to getting beaten by his man, and having to commit penalties to keep his mistake from costing the team a touchdown.

Capers himself said his 3-4 zone D is susceptible to big plays - better not to have a player who leaves you even more open by straying from his assignment.

"55sandman" wrote:

I am surprised how easily the Packer Nation is fooled and is taking the corporate line on why Smith was cut. How often do you hear from a team as to why the release a player? For money reasons yes, for injuries yes, not good enough yes...

Each player is graded after each game. You all know that I am certain. Their are + and - on the scorecard.

I cannot change your opinion, just believe what you saw on the field and not what you are hearing after the cut.

Last point, with all the Packers insiders that cover the team did you read about Smith screwing up assignments as bad as they want you tpo believe now? I didn't, but I don't read their stuff anyway so maybe someone talked about it all during camp.
Sandman
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Are you serious? Nothing against sandman, but it was not a far stretch to assume Smith would be relieved. When we signed him, I wasn't expecting him to make the roster unless there was an injury.

Why doubt that? What were his sources? What were the names? Was that disclosed? Not to my knowledge.

I'm a bit too smart to fall for those things. You're probably one of those who believes Arrigo is in the know because he's a smart fella who can piece things together and posts his hunches before others do and when it comes true, he looks like a genius.

"wils0646" wrote:

I don't know how you can believe this. Sandman provided two coaches names before they were even MENTIONED anywhere before that time. You can't piece anything together like Arrigo does when there's nothing to base it off of. 3 out of the 4 rumors completely came out of left field with no other sources knowing or reporting anything (including beat writers/insider reporters).

I don't care if Sandman provides names. He obviously has a very inside source (maybe a coach?) with these tips.

When has Sandman been wrong? The Vick rumor could have easily been true, but we will never know because the Eagles pulled the trigger. The Packers could have extended him a deal, but Vick could have taken the better deal or better team situation.

My theory on this is that they maybe thought Smith could be brought in to scare Collins back to this team without worrying about his contract issue. Take this tidbit:

http://www.packerupdate.com/pu/2009/05/index.html 

And finally, dont expect too much trouble from Nick Collins. Regardless of what he says publicly, the Pro Bowl safety isnt happy that the team has yet to begin serious contract talks, but he also knows that skipping mandatory workouts and/or training camp would be a really bad idea. His agent has already been told that the team is prepared to play without the ex-Bethune-Cookman star.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Using Smith as the guy that could take his spot could have been a legitimate threat if he didn't report.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it makes some sense to me. McCarthy probably never liked the signing and saw the same things Pittsburgh saw in him.

Two coaches?

The Vick thing, give me a break. The Packers look at EVERYONE. I'd bet your keyboard the Packers talked about obtaining Vick. :)

I never said Sandman was wrong. I even said I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy's dislike played a role in it. I just don't think it was THE role.

I'm saying, I am not going to think the dude speaks Gospel because he stated something that was already written on the wall, in my opinion. What the hell is so hard to understand about this? Am I now not allowed to have my own opinion on what happened because someone who was right about a few transactions stated something different? Because of that I should fore go THINKING on my own and just put a banner up that said "In Sandman I Trust", no fucking way and I don't mean that in any disrespect to Sandman. I enjoy thinking and being a curious soul far too much to just blindingly believe something said by someone else.

I enjoy what Sandman brings to us and I think we are fortunate for it. But right or wrong, that's not going to stop me from thinking about accusations and what not on my own.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

I'm saying, I am not going to think the dude speaks Gospel because he stated something that was already written on the wall, in my opinion.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You'd have done well to put that out before then, with all due respect.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I am surprised how easily the Packer Nation is fooled and is taking the corporate line on why Smith was cut. How often do you hear from a team as to why the release a player? For money reasons yes, for injuries yes, not good enough yes...

Each player is graded after each game. You all know that I am certain. Their are + and - on the scorecard.

I cannot change your opinion, just believe what you saw on the field and not what you are hearing after the cut.

Last point, with all the Packers insiders that cover the team did you read about Smith screwing up assignments as bad as they want you tpo believe now? I didn't, but I don't read their stuff anyway so maybe someone talked about it all during camp.

"55sandman" wrote:

What company line? I'm going off what I seen on the field and what I've seen from the front office over the last few years. In fact, I even to this very minute haven't heard of the reason why he was cut. I tried watching the conference, but my daughter had other plans for me.

You shouldn't try to change anyone's opinion. That's their entitlement to own themselves. I'm not trying to change yours, I simply stated my opinion on the release of Anthony Smith. Now, educating people on more FACTS is a different story, in which could in turn allow them to change their own opinion.

Me? I tend to think outside of the box at times and I like to share that with others to give people another perception to consider. Am I ever right? Probably not, lol. But it's fun to debate and think about other aspects instead of taking things for face value.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

"55sandman" wrote:

Your last point is taken; most beat reporters are downright shocked Smith was released.

I am not going to doubt your inside info Sandman - but much like Z I think it wasn't just his negative attitude.

If that was the case then Charles Woodson would have been cut because he had a REAL rocky relationship with Mike McCarthy the first couple of years, in which Charles himself has said he was fined by McCarthy numerous times.

I just think there is some more to the decision than Smith's bad fit in the lockerroom, although I am sure that played a role in the decision.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I'm saying, I am not going to think the dude speaks Gospel because he stated something that was already written on the wall, in my opinion.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Use the search.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

If that was the case then Charles Woodson would have been cut because he had a REAL rocky relationship with Mike McCarthy the first couple of years, in which Charles himself has said he was fined by McCarthy numerous times.

I just think there is some more to the decision than Smith's bad fit in the lockerroom, although I am sure that played a role in the decision.

Really? I was not aware of that. I find that interesting. Now we know why Woodson doesn't have to practice, lol.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Use the search.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Dude, I didn't even get the interview done... I think searching for past posts that I miss is way down the list.

My bad, I didn't know you had thrown it out there...
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
lol so you went and assumed it wasn't said without knowing if it was or not? Nice AADP, very nice. Thank you. I appreciate the blast in the nuts.
UserPostedImage