Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
No real surprises here.. but some tips to the cut down game..

I am glad to see them nearing the end of the Tony Moll experience..

What is funny is no mention at the surplus of linebackers.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/57139907.html 

Nashville, Tenn. The Green Bay Packers have been shopping several players heading into the deadline for mandatory roster cuts Saturday.

Several league personnel sources said that among the players the Packers have been shopping are tackle Tony Moll and safeties Charlie Peprah and Aaron Rouse. All three would be candidates to be released when the Packers have to trim their roster from 75 to 53.

Its not unusual for the Packers to make calls around the league to see if there would be interest in making a trade. Their hope would be that a team low on the waiver priority list would want one of the players theyre offering and be willing to trade a draft pick to cut in front of the other teams.

At least two linemen are being shopped by the Packers and presumably one of the others is center Scott Wells, who lost a training camp competition with Jason Spitz for a starting spot. However, none of the scouts specifically identified Wells as trade bait.

If Moll is on the block, it indicates that the Packers are considering releasing him and want to see if they can get compensation instead. Of the backup linemen, Wells has the most trade value, but the Packers would have to get a strong offer for him because their only other option now to back up Spitz is rookie free agent Evan Deitrich-Smith.

Wells has started 54 games for the Packers and could be of value to the Seattle Seahawks, who will be without starting center Chris Spencer for several weeks. One scout said he thought Wells was still a viable starter and would be a much better option for the Seahawks.

Moll is the only other non-starter who might have trade value. But he has been wildly inconsistent this summer and hasnt established himself as a player the Packers must keep. He didnt help himself Thursday night against Tennessee by allowing a half sack from the left guard position, a spot he hasnt played in camp.

In previous years, Moll had to bounce around at right guard and right tackle, but this year he has been almost exclusively left tackle Chad Cliftons backup. If Moll is traded or cut, the Packers only other true left tackle is rookie Jamon Meredith, who allowed his man to chip in on the sack in which Moll was beat.

If Clifton got hurt, more than likely theyd move left guard Daryn Colledge to left tackle and insert rookie T.J. Lang at left guard.

In the case of the safeties, the Packers will keep only four and have established a pecking order of Nick Collins, Atari Bigby, Anthony Smith and Jarrett Bush. Peprah is one of the teams top special teams players, but Smith has been solid in that area and would make up for his absence.

Peprah has been sidelined since Aug. 22 with soreness in his left knee and there has been no indication he will return soon.

Rouse was competing for a spot in the top four when he suffered a right hamstring pull Aug. 20. He has not practiced since then and the coaches will have only one exhibition on which to judge his performance in coordinator Dom Capers new 3-4 system.

Theres always the possibility that Rouse will be put on injured reserve, but coach Mike McCarthy told the teams television crew in a production meeting before the game that Rouse might be able to practice next week.

If the coaches think he doesnt fit their system, theyll trade him or let him go. Safeties coach Darren Perry has been on the 6-4 Rouse all summer about playing with more knee bend and lower pad level to improve his tackling.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
14 years ago
I suppose they didn't mention the linebackers because the good ones who are not starting (Bishop and Chillar) will obviously be on the team, and the ones who are on the bubble (Lansanah, Havner, etc.) would probably have no trade value. It seems like it is the experienced players are considered to have trade value
blank
British
14 years ago
If we got a good offer I'd tempted to move Poppinga and go with Matthews, Thompson and Brad Jones at OLB.

It might also mean we could keep Lansanah.

Doubt it happens though.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I suppose they didn't mention the linebackers because the good ones who are not starting (Bishop and Chillar) will obviously be on the team, and the ones who are on the bubble (Lansanah, Havner, etc.) would probably have no trade value. It seems like it is the experienced players are considered to have trade value

"Greg C." wrote:

But wouldn't it make sense to put some feelers out there on the Hawk, Poppinga and Barnett types of backers? If the right deal is presented.. you pull the trigger and save a bubble player.

Granted.. that is something that you wouldn't want necessarily public either.. to be a fly on the wall in the room. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
British
14 years ago
It will be interesting to see if we capitalize on our high waiver wire position and bring in new players.

I don't want a new TE or retread QB, but we're a little banged up in the defensive backfield and on the DLine.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 

The Packers returned to Green Bay around 1 a.m. today, and coaches and scouts no doubt wasted little time beginning a crucial round of discussions about the final roster.

The deadline for trimming from 75 to 53 players is 5 p.m. Saturday, meaning the Packers have a little more than a day from now to figure out who's healthy, who they'll keep -- and who the other 31 teams will let go.

A ton of work goes into the analyzing rosters around the league before roughly 700 players hit the waiver wire almost simultaneously on Saturday. The Packers compile depth charts for every team after the first round of preseason games, then update them each week. And because they're relatively high on the waiver priority list this year -- until late September, priority is based on 2009 record -- don't be surprised if the Packers are active come Saturday night.

Considering the injury situation in last night's preseason finale at Tennessee, the defensive backfield is one area the Packers might be looking for help. There also seems to be a decent chance the Packers are scrutinizing quarterbacks and tight ends, given question marks in the No. 3 slot at both of those spots, and they could be in the market for a return man if Will Blackmon's bruised quad doesn't make progress.

Teams can begin establishing their eight-man practice squads on Sunday.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
Wow this sounds exciting - so we could cut a bunch of guys and perhaps pick up someone whom is better then some of these rookie tryouts - that would be cool.

I'm glad kapinos stepped up as a punter (btw he looked phenominal vs the titans).

We need:

- a solid return man
- CB
- Perhaps a TE/ST player
- perhaps a backup QB

wonder if we will grab anyone out there worth something.

saturday will be like the draft day - big changes are coming
Kingdom22
14 years ago
you think Ruvell Martin may get cut because of the punt that was fair catched. The ball hit his "junk" and bounced pretty far in the hands of the Titans. I believe he is a 5th receiver on our team if he does get cut who might take his place?
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

you think Ruvell Martin may get cut because of the punt that was fair catched. The ball hit his "junk" and bounced pretty far in the hands of the Titans. I believe he is a 5th receiver on our team if he does get cut who might take his place?

"Kingdom22" wrote:

I doubt he gets cut but if he does swain takes his place. lol they had swain playing corner last nite
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Martin didn't do himself any favors last night by droping the punt, especially since Swain had such a good showing.
I have had high hopes Ruvall would be a solid #4 or 5 for The Packers this year, the guy has worked his butt off getting to that point, but IMHO time might have run out on Ruvall Martin.

Brohm showed last night he is improving each week. He had a solid outing playing with the backups last night.

I don't think The Packers will bring in any other qb's.

Think about it, if Brohm were forced into a game, he would be playing with the first team, last night when he was given time, he made good decisions and some damn nice throw.

We could see a revolving door with the backup db's, they were falling like flies last night.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Tezzy
14 years ago
I don't know how many WRs we are keeping on our 53. If we are keeping only 5 then I think Ruvell gets cut because he has been with the team for a few years now and has yet to step any further up the food chain. I'd rather see a fresh face like Swain get a chance to make a mark with the Packers. If we keep 6, then I think Martin and Swain are good to go.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (10h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.