Zero2Cool
14 years ago
What if the Packers had taken him instead of Raji?

I know one fan who had a hard on for Crabtree. He's pissed we didn't take him, but I'd bet my left testicle if we had drafted him, this person would do nothing but rip Ted apart for wasting a first round pick on a position we have solid depth with and now he's likely to not be with the team at all.

Aside from that persons bias hate ...

I'm glad we didn't take the dude. If he's having this many ego issues as a rookie, imagine how he's going to be after he hits a pro bowl or two ... wow
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I for one am very, very glad we did not take a flyer on Crabtree. Besides the fact that WR was the least needed position on the team, I don't like taking high profile players early. They usually have the biggest egos, and endup the most overpaid.

I'll take a lineman from either side just about any draft.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
14 years ago
You mean Cashtree? I mean Crabdouche? I mean Crybabytree?

Me? Oh, I LOVED this guy for us, LOVED him.

Just threw up on PFT:

Personnelmen line up to rip 49ers 

Personnel men line up to rip Niners
Posted by Tom Curran on September 17, 2009 6:08 PM ET
Nobody's looking very good in the 50-plus day hunger strike being waged by Michael Crabtree.

Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports asked seven front-office types if they believed the Niners should be given some kind of draft protection if Crabtree holds out all season and goes back in the draft.

Not only was it 7-0 saying "no flippin' way," but the assorted execs also took aim at San Francisco for their handling of the whole situation.

"Why would I want to end up with a lower pick in [a subsequent] draft because another team couldn't sign a player?" an NFC North exec asked Robinson.

"If you can't find a way to sign a draft choice, it puts you in some bad company. Somewhere along the way, you really [messed] up."

An NFC G.M. said the Niners simply should have known better given Crabtree's diva act leading up to the draft and the history of contentious negotiations in which his agent, Eugene Parker, has been involved.

"Part of the art of the draft is making sure you pick the right guy," the unnamed G.M. insisted. "You owe it to the owner and the organization to pick the right guy in the right situation. . . . Just because he's the best player on the board at the time you pick, you can't just throw caution to the wind and say, 'Well, we'll be the one to change him.'"

Of course, since the identifies of the personnel execs aren't known, it's also not known whether they passed on Crabtree when they had the chance -- or whether they'll pass on him again if he re-enters the draft.

Pack93z
14 years ago
I wanted Crabtree to be on the board when the Packers picked.. simply because I wanted to see the drama and because Ted noted that he felt Micheal was the best player in the draft... it put to test the BPA theory that swirled rampantly on the board.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
From the moment his name was stated on draft day as the pick for the Pack until this moment?

I don't think I would have made it.

I would have had a tough time getting through draft day, much less to this point, if it was the Pack this !@#^%$&^%*&^(*&_)(*+ was holding out on.

It would probably be guaranteed three hots and a cot for 'ol dfosterf, for a long, long time.

The door would have no knob.

:thumbleft:
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I wanted Crabtree to be on the board when the Packers picked.. simply because I wanted to see the drama and because Ted noted that he felt Micheal was the best player in the draft... it put to test the BPA theory that swirled rampantly on the board.

"pack93z" wrote:

Where was that said? I heard him say that Raji and Crabtree were equal rating.

edit, can't find the quote ... found one writer who said it was Crabtree, then Raji on Thompsons board. I'll keep looking around.

edit2,

(When you had time to sit back and look at your draft board, what ultimately put Raji over Crabtree?) 

I really am not going to speak to Crabtree too much. He is a member of the 49ers now and we wish him well. It's just all things being equal, you guys know how much we value big people, both on the offensive and the defensive line. The good ones are really hard to find, and it gets to be a supply and demand thing. It doesn't necessarily take away the value of another player at a different position. It's just that we have always put a lot of emphasis on that.

Formo, notice how Ted tactfully declining discussing something with another team? ;)

edit3,

link Ted Thompson wouldnt go so far as to say nose tackle B.J. Raji was a need pick, but the Packers general manager suggested that both Raji and Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree rated about equal on the Green Bay Packers draft board.

edit4, later down in that article ...
(Need) is always going to be a factor, its not that it doesnt factor in, Thompson said. But you dont take a lesser (player) in your opinion these players were rated about the same, (Crabtree) and a couple other guys. So thats the way we balanced it.

Nothing factual here, just a writer's interpretation.

edit5,

(Was it a difficult call between Raji and Crabtree?) 
There are a lot of difficult calls during the course of the draft, and we think a lot of Michael Crabtree and a couple of other guys. But yeah, it was a difficult call. But we feel confident that we did the right thing.

(Were you surprised Raji fell this far?)
A little bit. Most of the pundits out there had him going a little bit earlier. He's a very powerful, explosive interior defensive lineman that has the ability to definitely play the run. He also shows the ability and the power to be a pass rusher from the inside. We think his addition gives us a little flexibility with Ryan (Pickett). Obviously Ryan is our nose tackle and he does a great job at it, but he is also athletic enough that if we wanted to move him around a little bit, that gives us some flexibility.

(You have said in the past you don't draft on need. Did you make this pick based on need?)
No. I mean, yeah, it's always going to be a factor. It's not that it doesn't factor in but you don't take a lesser player in your opinion. These players were rated about the same, him and a couple of other guys. So that's the way we balance it.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
First post... there was some dialog from Ted.. but this is what popped to mind..

http://www.packershome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=4401 

Green Bay - Well-stocked in wide receivers, the Green Bay Packers appear primed to select another one, Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree, late Saturday afternoon if they stay put with the No. 9 pick in the first round of the National Football League draft.

Crabtree is the top-rated player on general manager Ted Thompson's board and, despite significant needs on both lines and at outside linebacker, it seems likely the Packers will stay true to their board provided Crabtree is available.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

First post... there was some dialog from Ted.. but this is what popped to mind..

http://www.packershome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=4401 

Green Bay - Well-stocked in wide receivers, the Green Bay Packers appear primed to select another one, Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree, late Saturday afternoon if they stay put with the No. 9 pick in the first round of the National Football League draft.

Crabtree is the top-rated player on general manager Ted Thompson's board and, despite significant needs on both lines and at outside linebacker, it seems likely the Packers will stay true to their board provided Crabtree is available.

"pack93z" wrote:

Damn, it has to be Bob "Brett used the Packers phone to call the Vikings" McGinn. I was hoping for something directly from Ted's mouth, not a writers opinion.

Oh well.
UserPostedImage
Brettizzle
14 years ago
I really wanted him when he was on the board, thank god Ted passed on him. I hope he sits out and doesn't get picked til the 3rd or 4th round and gets a low contract offer. Thank god we have classy WR's on our team, they seem to be the ones with the biggest ego problems.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

IronMan
14 years ago

Crabdouche?

"dfosterf" wrote:

+1
Fan Shout
beast (10h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : damn those vikings
beast (11h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (11h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (11h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (11h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (18h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.