Trippster
14 years ago

My biggest piece of advice to someone considering/debating colleges is: find the place that best fits your dreams/passions.

Whether you go to Oxford or to Podunk U, you're going to find no shortage of idiots, timewasters, and people who could care less about you. Worse, you're going to find no shortage of people who are going to shoehorn you into their vision of the world and what's important, people who are looking to create clones of themselves, and people who are going to fill your mind with garbage.

At the same time, wherever you go, you'll find people who can inspire you, challenge you, help you learn important skills, and who you can connect ("network") with after college.

But unless your focus on your passions, your deep interests, your core needs and values, odds are that you'll end up spending too much time and attention with the first group and not enough with the second.

And if I'm allowed a second piece of advice, it would be "Harvard makes a difference only for the last degree." I'd doubtless be better off if my history degree were from Durham or Yale (if I were good enough for either). But that I didn't go to either of those places for my BA...it really doesn't matter.

But the first point is the most important. The biggest mistakes I made in my education choice weren't from where I chose to go for the various degrees. The biggest mistakes I made were in how much I weighed things other than my passions and deep interests in making those choices.

"Wade" wrote:

I thought I would just throw in the fact the Wade is a professor at a college in Iowa. Read his blog sometime. fascinating.

If you have a dream of a profession go to the best school for that profession. I wanted (and became) a golf professional. The best school in the eyes of the PGA was Ferris State University. That is where I went. Definately not the best all around school (although we did place 17th on Oui's best party school list) but in the eyes of the PGA world, it was like coming out of Harvard.

The school has to fit the individual. You can succeed from any school as they all have the minimal standards. It is the critical thinking that you attain while at college that gives you the greatest chance to succeed.

School only gets you in the door in your chosen field. Whether you attain CEO or similar is completely about what you do AFTER you are hired. If you have the drive to be the very best (character found in most CEO's) then you have attained the neccesary grades in high school to choose whatever school you want to go to. Price will not be an issue.

Harvard has never turned down a student because of financial issues. that is what they do with the 1.2 billion dollar endowement fund they have.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Some good advice here.

I don't have a whole lot of sensible stuff to say, as I don't know a whole lot about your educational system, but the most important has already been said. Aim for what you want to do. Work to reach that. It's so much easier when you have a target and you like what you're doing.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Must have gotten a hell of a scholarship.. starting 2009 tuition costs at USC are 35,000  plus housing for a 14 to 18 credit load.

Congrats.

I graduated from UW-Green Bay and took graduate courses at UW-L.. couldn't afford UW-Madison for basically the same education.

But honestly, my favorite classes were electives I took in the Wisconsin technical school system.. hands on.. small classes and professors that actually looked at the small picture of the education process with a kind eye.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Employers do not give two shits where you got your degree. All they care about is the piece of paper with those magical two letters on it.

The idea of prestige helping you in your career is sold to you by clever marketers for the colleges and has little or no bearing on reality, unless you're shooting for the presidency of the AMA or something equally obscure. For that matter, employers couldn't care less about your grades either, unless you're fresh out of college and did absolutely NOTHING but take classes (no extracurriculars, volunteer work, etc.). And if that's what you are, chances are you're going to struggle to get a job no matter how good your grades were.

There are very few jobs that require reasonably good grades, and they all involve post-baccalaureate schooling: lawyers, physicians, etc. Even most graduate schools don't require excellent grades; my German professor got into his doctoral program with a sub-3.0 GPA. And even with the professions that require good grades, your overall portfolio is more important than your raw GPA: med schools turn down 4.0's everyday, while letting in people with low three points who have volunteer/work experience, world involvement (military service), etc.

I say these things as the former owner of a resume business who helped plenty of people with atrocious grades get good-paying professional jobs. You'd be shocked how low the GPAs of teachers are.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
I always loved the quote, "The A-students teach the B-students how to work for the C-students"

Now always true in every case.. But in my experience with people, jobs/careers, and business owners, it's pretty dog-gone close.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
That's a great point, Formo.

I read an interesting study a few years ago that revealed that Columbia graduates have lower-than-average salaries. The explanation provided was that the type of students who go to Columbia (uber-intelligent, exceptional GPAs, etc.) are the kind of peoplefor whom academic success has always come easily. Because they have never had to struggle to attain success, they are terrified of failure and thus excessively risk averse and unwilling to make mistakes. By contrast, an amazing proportion of the top 100 richest people in this country never graduated college.

Success in the real world has far, far more to do with drive, determination and motivation -- the willing to make mistakes and learn from them -- than the high-profile name on that fancy piece of paper.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

self-reported . . . salaries and educational credentials . . . not from a randomized scientific sample

With all due respect, these are self-reported figures from anonymous internet users and thus unverifiable. Furthermore, they suffer from sample bias in that only the successful people are likely to respond to these surveys. Your Harvard philosophy graduate who now drives a taxi in New York City isn't likely to bother with a survey like this.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
There are no guarantees in life. It is not automatic that a student that obtained a degree from xx university will achieve greater financial success than one that graduated from yy university. It surprises me that as a whole it's lower on average but it does not surprise me that it occurs. I also wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that the top 100 richest people did not graduate from college because of those 100, what percentage did not graduate and yet are not rich? I would wager that the proportion of affluent people from reputable universities is higher than those that did not attend university.

However, I don't buy the notion that the choice of university does not matter. I could have gone to TAFE here in Western Australia. I chose not to, and instead went to a reputable (debatable, but that's another topic for another time!) university. Why did I do this? Because I know if I went to TAFE, where entry requirements are around 60 TER (roughly equivalent to having better marks than 60% of your peers in your year) as opposed to UWA with entry requirements around 93, the subject matter, and manner in which it is taught, does not lend itself to providing me with a higher probability of earning a decent salary. I could go to TAFE and learn how to reference an Australian Standard or I could go to a more theoretical university and learn how the Australian Standard was developed from first principles. It teaches me better problem solving skills which I can apply outside of a single specified problem.

People have said, it is up to the student to make the most of university. I absolutely agree. But I also believe that the student should strive to attend the best that they can afford. With my qualification I'm not going to apply to a government job. Of course they are not interested in where you obtained your degree. I look for the private consultants, those with reputations for quality design. I know that I am up for the challenge that working in such an environment demands. I know that they seek applications from only 2 universities in the entire state. I expect to be pushed hard and mentally challenged at my job, using what theoretical background I've learned and apply it to generate new solutions. And I expect to be paid handsomely in return. But I speak only from my very limited views as an engineering/commerce student.

It's about balance, yes - the student must set their goals for their future and work accordingly. Once they have a degree, irrespective of where they obtained it from, it's up to the student to capitalise on their learning. I merely state the hypothesis that going to a more reputable university has a higher chance of obtaining success, but it is by no means assured, as Non points out.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I actually prefer small schools with small class sizes. I've had beers over at Professors' houses. You're not going to have this experience at a large university.

"Wade" wrote:

This still happens?

Not here, alas. I did it in college (small school) and in law school (fancy nose-in-air medium size univ.)

But in our politically correct age, at least here, it's close to a crash-and-burn offense.

And probably would be even if the drinking age were still 18. (Of course in this politically correct age, the drinking age will never go back to 18.)

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Good point. It probably doesn't any more. I graduated in the early 90s, when political correctness started.

For the record, if I were running the show, I'd bring it back down to 18. Old enough to vote, old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink some beers.

People say it saves lives. Whatever. If you're locked inside your house at gunpoint, it will also save lives. How far do we want to go?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13m) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (39m) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (40m) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (5h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (18h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.