all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
I have only been reading Bob McGinn for a bit longer than a couple of years, but he is my favourite beat writer for the Pack. I love his style, his insight, and his analysis (which often includes analysis from scouts, top personnel, etc.) Needless to say, I have not seen him criticize someone as strongly as he did Barber, Giacomini, and Campen in today's article.

Some overviews:

ON RT ALLEN BARBER

The best organizations, the ones with the resourceful head coaches and the offensive line coaches worth their weight in gold, just make it work. Pittsburgh won two Super Bowls starting backup tackle Max Starks. New England claimed its first with lumbering Grant Williams playing the entire second half at left tackle after Matt Light went down, its second with backup Tom Ashworth at right tackle and its third with backup Brandon Gorin at right tackle.

So let's do away with the excuses right from the start.

In March, he (McCarthy) essentially made it Allen Barbre's job to lose (at RT).

That stunned me.

On paper, Barbre looks pretty good, especially in a zone scheme.

Barbre took the Wonderlic twice. His first score, which most teams regard as most telling, was 11. (Lowest score after him for Packers OL in recent time was for Kevin Barry - who scored a 9; whereas Cliffy, Taush, etc. had higher scores and played against competition better than Div II level).

Barbre is just a very nave kid. He blew assignments his first two seasons even though the Packers smartly limited him to only one position. But there was too much happening quickly for him at guard, and so the decision was made to move him outside, although he had been a left tackle in college.

Despite another summer of losing his cool and getting in fistfights, Barbre had some bright moments. He is more of a tackle than a guard. He does good things in the run game.

But then the lights went on and Barbre has gone in the tank. His footwork is a mess. Rushers have knocked his hands down, which is absolutely alarming.

ON BRENO GIACOMINI:

If McCarthy and Thompson were reckless enough to roll the dice on Barbre, they needed to have a competent back-up.

That was supposed to be Breno Giacomini... It's a deplorable situation.

Twenty to 25 teams have an experienced No. 3 tackle.

Goldberg (starting RT for Rams against GB), 29, epitomizes the type of player that Thompson has no interest in signing. Despite his many limitations, Goldberg does have 30 starts at various positions and at times has done a serviceable job. (Thompson could have signed Goldberg this off-season, but didn't). [T]he Packers, with designs on the playoffs and beyond, would rather go with a stiff like Giacomini.

ON JAMES CAMPEN

In the last quarter century the Packers have had three masterful line coaches. Jerry Wampfler might have been "a negative cat" to be around, as Greg Koch once said, but the man really could coach. Then there was Tom Lovat, the steady hand under Mike Holmgren, and Larry Beightol, who coached exceptional units under Mike Sherman.

Sherman and his tight ends coach at the time, Joe Philbin, each was on staff at Tulane in the mid-1980s when Campen played there. Despite his limited rsum, they hired him in 2004 to work mostly in quality control. McCarthy made him the assistant line coach under Philbin in 2006 before bumping him to No. 1 in '07.

In terms of college and pro coaching experience, Wampfler had 22 years when he arrived in 1984, Lovat had 25 when he returned to Green Bay in 1992 and Beightol had 31 when Ray Rhodes hired him in 1999.

In comparison, Campen had three years of experience when promoted to run his own show. His assistant, Jerry Fontenot, played center for 16 years but had no coaching experience when hired by McCarthy in '06.

In the dog-eat-dog environment of the NFL, it makes no sense to make the offensive line an entry-level position. It's not enough (for Campen) to work hard; they all work hard.

Give me someone who has run drills and seen every blitz there is and made sideline adjustments on the fly year after year.

The Packers are high on Campen. On more than one occasion Thompson has denied permission for other teams to interview him.

Perhaps the best man was old pro Bill Muir, out in Tampa Bay and then hired by Kansas City. Beightol, 66, has tried to get back into coaching. Fired in San Diego, Jack Henry probably would have joined McCarthy. They coached together in New Orleans for five years; Beightol was with McCarthy in '99.

George Warhop and Mike Maser were available. Warhop, another former McCarthy colleague, landed in Cleveland.

Enitre Article (Subscription required) 

Some of the bluntest language I've seen McGinn use. Can't say I disagree with him on the above points.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
14 years ago
I have been saying the same thing about Campen since last 07.. but picked up steam last season has the fundamentals were breaking down weekly and the same silly mistakes continue to be made.

Glad someone with a little more juice is jumping on board.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
British
14 years ago
Thanks for posting, I agree McGinn is an interesting read.

I suspect he's pretty pissed that his pre season prediction of 12-4 and a Superbowl berth is now looking way out. (He's been spot on the last 2 years and now it's going to screw up his record).
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Will only be a couple weeks before Tauscher is back on the team.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
TengoJuego
14 years ago
Allen Barbre*
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Allen Barbre*

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Hm... I refuse to correct his name (or actually remember how to spell it in the first place) until he actually plays like a decent RT. šŸ¤
Rios39
14 years ago
Has Barbre even been THAT bad since the Bears game? He hasn't exactly been standing out as bad these past 2 games.

maybe a play here and there but that's football.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Has Barbre even been THAT bad since the Bears game? He hasn't exactly been standing out as bad these past 2 games.

"Rios39" wrote:

Gave up another 2 sacks today.

Compared to the Bears game - his play is better. But that should tell you how bad he played against Chicago, as opposed to the progress he has made overall.

He got beat badly by a 30+ year old DE who most people say is on the downside of his career against Chicago. I dread what someone like Jared Allen will do if Barbre has another stinker like that.

His play has improved, but he is still sub-par. It isn't even coming close to the play needed from a RT on a team with playoff aspirations.
gbguy20
14 years ago
our offensive line play is still disgusting, this article is absolutely correct.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Gave up another 2 sacks today.

Compared to the Bears game - his play is better. But that should tell you how bad he played against Chicago, as opposed to the progress he has made overall.

He got beat badly by a 30+ year old DE who most people say is on the downside of his career against Chicago. I dread what someone like Jared Allen will do if Barbre has another stinker like that.

His play has improved, but he is still sub-par. It isn't even coming close to the play needed from a RT on a team with playoff aspirations.

"Rios39" wrote:

Guess it is a good thing that Allen plays just about exclusively on the Left. Not good news for Colledge though.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE ā€“ Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL ā€“ Donovan Jennings, USF OT ā€“ Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said heā€™s been told he wonā€™t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.