Timmons
14 years ago
So most of this will be irrational emotional venting. Please tolerate as I can't take AJ Hawk's current level of play any more.

AJ Hawk is lucky that I'm succesfully employed, and happily married and have hobbies that gainfully take my free time. If such were not the case, I'd sit down and put together a video collage of his football plays. It would prove my point and open up eyes about teh glaring gaps in AJ's game. During the Rams game, three times, I see him taking bad angles and chasing guys from behind to no avail. One of the tackles he got was after the RB broke his initial tackle. Another two plays he missed in the flat entirely. On one tackle that he did get, it only occurred because the RB had no option but to carry him for two yards. More often than not, I see him running backwards and trying to cover from errors.

For the sake of the blind, the ill, and the unholy, what is wrong with this guy? Attack boy!!! Attack, go all out, maybe you're wrong some times, but at least once in a while you'll be right. Too many times AJ is running around trying not to look bad and it's all I see. A farm boy, trying to cover up the fact that he's either outclassed physically, or intellectually. I'm not sure which. I'm done with it.

Bishop comes in for a few plays and immediately looks better. What is wrong with Hawk? He has got to play all-out for game breaking plays. I don't care if you miss as long as you sell out. It will pay off eventually. You're the linebacker on this team that is supposed to set the tempo so do it. Start swinging for the fences. When you're blitzing, don't run into the blocker.... run your overgrown hair AROUND him. When you're attacking the RB, get after him. Run down hill. Don't wait to see where he is going, force him to commit. Sure, you'll miss a few times, but you'll come up with tackles in the backfield as well. I don't want consistently bad play out of you. I'd rather have inconsistently excellent play. Give me the LB who tackles in the backfield, causes turnovers and knocks RBs on their asses and I'll be thoroughly pleased. Who knows, you might turn into the leader of this defense like many have hoped that you would.
blank
14 years ago

When you're blitzing, don't run into the blocker.... run your overgrown hair AROUND him.

"Timmons" wrote:

With all due respect, this is the opposite of what coach Greene etc. are teaching blitzing linebackers to do. They want them to hit the blocker and blow up the play with contact, not by dancing around the guy.

Hawk had 5 tackles vs. St. Louis for 3 yards or less, including one for a loss and one for no gain.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Hawk is the guy that makes things happen for others. He is the guy that leads on the LBer stunt so whoever is 2nd gets through. You complain about Hawk chasing a RB in the flat. Well the name of his position is Inside LBer. It he is the guy that has to go out and chase a RB in the flat, it is because somebody else messed up.

Hawk is a solid and consistent player. Which is what the team needs from him. Let Bishop or Barnett get the recognition benefiting from Hawks leads.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I am sick and tired of people on this forum talking bad about A.J. Hawk, and others!!!

I am sick and tired of hearing that A.J. Hawk isn't playing up to a #5 pick level?

anyone who doesn't think we should have drafted A.J. Hawk at #5, GO BITCH AT TED THOMPSON, he is the one who drafted him.

I don't remember A.J. Hawk ever missing a game in Green Bay, even last year when he was injured he played through it.

Last year when Barnett went down he didn't bitch when he was moved to middle linebacker(a position he had never played), he just went out and played the best he could.

If you don't think there is any difference playing mlb and olb, then go get a book, or try playing the game yourself!

A. J. Hawk has been nothing but profesional while in Green Bay, you want flashy, mouthy players, well then look somewhere else, because A.J. Hawk is A FOOTBALL PLAYER, and a damn good one.

The Packers could have done a lot worse than A.J. Hawk at #5, but they could not have done a whole lot better.

The guy goes out everyday and prepares, he shows up every Sunday and plays his best.

There are many out there that you cannot say that about.

EVERYBODY JUST GET OFF A.J. HAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

I am sick and tired of people on this forum talking bad about A.J. Hawk, and others!!!

I am sick and tired of hearing that A.J. Hawk isn't playing up to a #5 pick level?

anyone who doesn't think we should have drafted A.J. Hawk at #5, GO BITCH AT TED THOMPSON, he is the one who drafted him.

I don't remember A.J. Hawk ever missing a game in Green Bay, even last year when he was injured he played through it.

Last year when Barnett went down he didn't bitch when he was moved to middle linebacker(a position he had never played), he just went out and played the best he could.

If you don't think there is any difference playing mlb and olb, then go get a book, or try playing the game yourself!

A. J. Hawk has been nothing but profesional while in Green Bay, you want flashy, mouthy players, well then look somewhere else, because A.J. Hawk is A FOOTBALL PLAYER, and a damn good one.

The Packers could have done a lot worse than A.J. Hawk at #5, but they could not have done a whole lot better.

The guy goes out everyday and prepares, he shows up every Sunday and plays his best.

There are many out there that you cannot say that about.

EVERYBODY JUST GET OFF A.J. HAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Big +1
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
When we drafted Hawk, we knew there was limited chance he'd be a superstar. The tag on Hawk was what you see is what you get, a solid reliable football player. Hawk was the 'safest' pick according to many draftniks that I recall.
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
14 years ago
If memory serves me right..I believe Hawk was the Packers leading tackler Sunday
porky88
14 years ago
This attack crap needs to be looked at in a different way. I think people are starting to think Hawk should just fly in there like he has no brains and stick the player to the ground. That works until Steven Jackson or Adrian Peterson cutsback and takes it 50 yards up the sideline. Teams will run screens, draws, and counters to pretty much eat up that attack style defense.

My point is players need to play disciplined football and that's what Hawk does. He's been above average to solid in two of the three games this year including Sunday's against the Rams. He'll never be Brian Urlacher or Lance Briggs. He is who he is.

Mass brought up a good point about five tackles of three yards or less. One big one stands out where Hawk made a huge tackle on Jackson who had a lot of running room if he would've hit the hole. That play should be looked at as much as poor angles.

The Packers gameplanned to contain Jackson and all but conceded before the game that Jackson was going to get his yards. It was the big long run of 40 to 50 yards that they were scared of.

Hawk didn't attack because his responsibility as were most of the linebackers was to play displined football. He needed to control his lanes and read the play and react to it.

When he blitzes he's not the guy who is going to make the big play, he's the guy that is going to take on the blocker and allow someone else to get a free shot at the QB. That's his position.

The reasoning for that is he isn't that effective of a blitzer so the Packers scheme to have him to do the dirty work.

He by no means is worth the No. 5 pick, but so far, Hawk has been the 3rd best linebacker on this team behind Kampman and Chiller after three games. He's outplaying Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga, and Clay Matthews. I don't hear anyone complaining about them.
Pack93z
14 years ago

He's outplaying Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga, and Clay Matthews. I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

"porky88" wrote:

Just so there is no confusion.. oh hell yes others are noticing the shortcoming of the rest.. especially the other MLB that isn't carrying his weight at the moment.. albeit he is still working his way back..

I seen Poppinga lose contain a number of times on the edge.. they did so well not to get sucked in during the opener.. since then.. the edge has been softer than fresh baked bread.. Jackson took about a step toward the line and Brady was bailing head first in.. one bounce and he was outside with little opposition.. way to freaking easy.

But I understand as Barnett was getting buried inside why someone would be anxious to help.. sorry but Barnett just either isn't ready or he is what he always has been.. a guy shies away from beating a block..

Hawk was at least sticking his nose in there chewing up a block... he was aggressive and solid.

Overall I can't explain the reluctance to put in the more firm Bishop on some of these run type scenarios. I didn't see that much breakdown from him in the zone drops in preseason.. there must be a reason.. but it escapes me.

It wouldn't be "homerism" on the part of Winston Moss would it?

On the other side.. you can tell Aaron still isn't comfortable yet in pass rushing and taking on blockers from the upright stance.. he showed much more explosion in taking off with a hand down.

"pack93z" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
I thought Barnett had a much improved game yesterday.
UserPostedImage