Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers doesn't regret debuting his "Big Okie" defense the week before the Packers' Monday night showdown with the Minnesota Vikings.

The "Big Okie" was used to defend St. Louis Rams power running back Steven Jackson and featured linebacker Brandon Chillar as the strong safety. Though Jackson had 117 yards rushing and 46 yards receiving, he did not have a run over 20 yards and did not score a touchdown.

Capers sprang the defense on the Rams rather than waiting a week to debut it against Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson because he thought it was necessary to help win the most important game to the Packers at that time.

"We talk all the time with the team about this," Capers said Saturday. "One thing I've learned about this business, it's like walking a tightrope; you better stay focused on what's right in front of you because if you look too far to the right or the left, you're going to fall off."

Another reason Capers may have felt comfortable using it is that he has something else in store for the Vikings. When asked if he would use the "Big Okie" against Peterson, he said he would prefer to let the Vikings wonder about that.

"We have a number of packages," Capers said. "We aren't going to show our hand. We go in and carry a lot of different personnel groupings. They (the Vikings) are switching their groupings every play and every other play, too."

Capers has a number of options available to him to defend against Peterson, quarterback Brett Favre and the Vikings' receivers. Chillar got beat by tight end Donald Fells for two passing touchdowns against the Rams, but his ability to both rush and play coverage allowed Capers to do other things.

Another option Capers has is to play inside linebacker Desmond Bishop more. Bishop debuted on defense last week against St. Louis, replacing starter Nick Barnett after he had played 40 snaps, and performed solidly. The hard-hitting Bishop had two tackles, including one for loss.

Capers also has the option to rotate his big men against Peterson now that rookie defensive lineman B.J. Raji appears closer to full strength. Raji is listed as probable with an ankle injury and should be available for as many snaps as Capers needs.

What stands to be the most interesting part of the game plan is how Capers will blitz Favre. Considering how smart Favre is, Capers has to come up with something he can't recognize pre-snap or else he'll just change his protection at the line of scrimmage to account for a free blitzer.

And then Capers has to design the pressure so Favre can't step around it.

"You can see his experience, No. 1, in his pocket presence throwing the ball," Capers said. "I think he's always been outstanding in terms of feeling where the pressure is coming from and being able to slide in the pocket and give his receivers time to open up. He still has the arm strength to throw to his receivers all over the field."

"JS online" wrote:

Guard Steve Hutchinson (back) practiced for the first time this week but was limited and is listed as questionable. Fullback Naufahu Tahi (back) is also questionable. Linebacker Erin Henderson (calf) and punt returner Darius Reynaud (hamstring) are doubtful.

"JS online" wrote:

while our tackle is out and our starting safety - they have a few issues also.

I enjoyed this article - I was watching some NFL shows and they spent a little time talking about the big okie and how they used that to stop the rams (hopefully this will have given them practice as to how to use it effectively). They played chillar is a safety; and ya he's our best coverage guy in our LB core but as we noticed he might get beat when it comes to crunch time (hope this motivates him to keep working).
longtimefan
14 years ago
I have mentioned this before..that the Packers have not been using formations, and packages in fear that they tip their hand..

So now I am pretty sure that there are a few special things they havent used yet and are waiting to do them Monday night.
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I read somewhere, cannot find it right now but I think Capers is 1-5 against a Favre team. So I hope he has changed his strategy (though many times it comes down to execution which the coaches have nothing to do with).
blank
jbshell04
14 years ago
Look for a lot of over under blitzes on the midline favre does not deal well with in the face pressure. Also look for bishop to have more playing time as he is better equipped against the run.
I am therefor I think.
toronto_cheesehead
14 years ago
Just attack Phil Loadhoalt. I doubt he can block Kampman 1-on-1.
blank
tromadz
14 years ago
I like having a real DC.
Brettizzle
14 years ago

I like having a real DC.

"tromadz" wrote:

QFT, he was the best addition in the off season. I'm so happy we got him.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Dulak, could you please edit your original post to include a link to the article? Thanks.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
It's no defensive trickery, but still, wouldn't it be fun to see something like this on the field (Without Clifton, most likely, and with the alternative O-line)

UserPostedImage

Don't look at the quality, because I whipped it up in 5 minutes, but that would be pretty exciting to see. I really do think that we could get some yardage out of this. McCarthy has already stated that he doesn't think that this is something for his team, though.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Oh, crap. Just noticed that Driver is lined up under the RG. Lol. Well, imagine him under Spitz.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (21h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.