Silentio
14 years ago
This might be one too may threads about the sack problems Green Bay is having. However, Kevin Seifert has an interesting breakdown of the stats of the top 10 QBs in the league and their sack numbers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/4412/have-at-it-rodgers-and-sacks 

For instance...
Rodgers: Rating 101.1, Sacks 20, Record 2-2
Favre: Rating 104.6, Sacks 9, Record 4-0
Etc, etc.

Rodgers may be to blame for some of these sacks, its true. I just think it is interesting that his sack total is DOUBLE the next highest (Roethlisberger with 10) and yet he is still a top five QB.

So basically we have the best QB the NFL has ever seen but the o-line sucks so hard he's going to die by the end of the season! :thumbleft: High five!

How much of the blame do you think Rodgers takes in the number of sacks he has? How many sacks was he responsible for against the Vikings?
blank
Kingdom22
14 years ago
Well Imagine this if Favre was with the Packers and with that Offensive Line. You think Favre would still be healthy enough to play? I really don't think so, at times Rodgers has held the ball to long but the problem is the O Line. Rodgers is a mobile QB if he wasn't that I think the sack number would be 25 or 30 by now.
blank
mi_keys
14 years ago
I went back to watch the Jared Allen highlights which accounted for 5 of the 8 sacks (he shared one) and I clocked the time from the snap of the ball to either some pressure or the wrap up. Here's what I got:

1st sack, fumble: 1.9 seconds to see defensive end opposite Allen come free, Rodgers turns to scramble away from him and is hit by Allen upon turning at 2.6 seconds

2nd sack: 3.0 seconds to sack

3rd sack: 1.8 seconds on a broken play (looks like it was supposed to be a hand off up the middle, defensive end came free)

4th sack, safety: 3.4 seconds, and he was double teamed

5th sack: 2.8 seconds to sack

I couldn't find any more highlights of sacks. I do remember him holding it way too long on a roll out when one of their linebackers sacked him. That said, the average time of the sacks involving Jared Allen was 2.72 seconds. It's hard to go through a progression with that little time to throw the ball.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Silentio
14 years ago
Nice analysis mi_keys , thanks a lot.
blank
porky88
14 years ago
Did you time when the pocket collapsed?

Pressure is pressure whether it's a sack or not. I think McCarthy is taking the "mental" pressure off of the offensive line and putting it on Rodgers because Rodgers can handle it. I am a cynic though :)

75% on the offensive line
15% on Rodgers holding the ball too long
10% on good coverage

Something like that give or take....

Can't say I'm a big fan of Kevin Seifert. I know he means well in all, but he's more wrong than right. His Minnesota bias shows so I take a lot what he has to say with a grain of salt.
14 years ago
Those numbers are insane.

Can anyone figure out the stats on what type of personnel we had on the field for each sack? After reading the article on Rodgers talking about how they need more wide outs on the line going out and less blockers. It really makes me curious to see how many sacks were allowed by each formation. Such as 2 wr's, 3 wr's, 4+ wr's, 0 te's, 1 te, 2 te's and so on. The more blockers the more time Rodgers should have. But that also means with less wide outs Rodgers needs more time in order for the wr's to get open. As i write this i am looking at Rodgers game splits and here are some of the stats.

2 Wide Receivers- 9/14 148 yards 64.3 cmp% 1TD 2.0 sacks 123.5 rating
3 Wide Receivers- 21/45 275 yards 46.7cmp% 1TD 7.0 sacks 73.8 rating
4+ Wide Receivers-17/26 176yards 65.4cmp% 0TD 1.0 sack 84.8 rating

0 Tight Ends-20/34 277 yards 58.8 cmp% 0TD 5.0s sacks 85.0 rating
1 Tight End-25/48 360yards 52.1 cmp% 1TD 5.0s sacks 83.7 rating
2 Tight Ends-6/8 77yards 75.0 cmp% 3TDs 2.0 sacks 144.3 rating

I am not really sure what these stats tell us, but it looks like 4+ wide receivers helps.
UserPostedImage
obi1
14 years ago
Favre is laughing at Rodgers right now saying "see why I left?".

At this rate, Rodgers will be sacked 80 times this year and hit numerous more. He will begin to sound lke a punch drunk boxer during his interviews...

I feel for him.

IF this Oline turns around and actually blocks people, Rodgers can learn something other than what it feels like to peel himself off the turf.

Then may be he can concentrate on winning games.

Ironically, Brett being his mentor before has taught him to hold on to the ball and not throw into traffic (a la Favre). Unfortunately though this makes him tougher to intercept, it makes him sack laden.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago
I really hate to do this but i will 😛, back in '07 the Packers line wasn't that great and probably would have given up alot of sacks but look at the play calls. Lord Favre alot of times had the ball out of his hands in less than 3 secs on the quick slants and curls. For some reason this year we have the wrs running 20 yard routes and i think that is partially from the preseason when those things worked and so they think it will always work. Rodgers is still learning and he will learn to check out of plays and go back to the quick slants and curls i believe. I think Lord Favre called alot of audibles back then to save his ass. Rodgers will get comfy going against MM's play calling and will improve (hopefully)
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

I really hate to do this but i will 😛, back in '07 the Packers line wasn't that great and probably would have given up alot of sacks but look at the play calls. Lord Favre alot of times had the ball out of his hands in less than 3 secs on the quick slants and curls. For some reason this year we have the wrs running 20 yard routes and i think that is partially from the preseason when those things worked and so they think it will always work. Rodgers is still learning and he will learn to check out of plays and go back to the quick slants and curls i believe. I think Lord Favre called alot of audibles back then to save his ass. Rodgers will get comfy going against Mike McCarthy's play calling and will improve (hopefully)

"dhazer" wrote:

I agree, the packers have abandoned the quick slants and such. Could be a something that is contributing to the sacks.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago

I really hate to do this but i will 😛, back in '07 the Packers line wasn't that great and probably would have given up alot of sacks but look at the play calls. Lord Favre alot of times had the ball out of his hands in less than 3 secs on the quick slants and curls. For some reason this year we have the wrs running 20 yard routes and i think that is partially from the preseason when those things worked and so they think it will always work. Rodgers is still learning and he will learn to check out of plays and go back to the quick slants and curls i believe. I think Lord Favre called alot of audibles back then to save his ass. Rodgers will get comfy going against Mike McCarthy's play calling and will improve (hopefully)

"dhazer" wrote:

Once again dhazer has spoken the truth. :thumbright: :thumbright:
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (14h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (16h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (19h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (20h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.