RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I think its premature for this. We're only 2-2 and have such a soft, soft, soft schedule coming up. There is no reason we couldn't be 6-2 after 8 games (well I guess I can think of a few reasons - for example no pass rush, lol).

But still, we have to wait. If we're 4-4 after 8, then we're in trouble because the Bears and Vikings look legit.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

If McCarthy's admittedly tiring post-loss press-conference lexicon is an actual reason why people want him gone, I think we [fans] need to seriously re-evaluate things. If you want to argue that we're suffering from similar problems week in and week out, then put it that way. Just don't take such issue with what is, at best, press-conference "style points." I couldn't give two shits about how McCarthy or Thompson communicate in press conferences. I'd also have to be completely naive to think that the message McCarthy delivers to the team is as cookie-cutter politically correct as the "pad level/we need to get it fixed" speech we're so used to hearing.

I don't see a lot of our problems as directly attributable to coaching. Naturally, though, persistent inconsistencies are cause enough for people to look to the top of the latter (Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy).

I say give us some real options on the o-line and let us continue to add players and gain comfortability in the 3-4 -- we'll be dangerous. If we're not dangerous right now, that's honest to god good enough for me. We have plenty of season left and I'm still confident the Pack can make a push -- I just don't think we need to burn the house down if it ends in disappointment.

"evad04" wrote:

It's not what he says or doesn't say - he's certainly not the first coach to take the Captain Obvious route, after all. We can all clearly see the issues he refers to and we can all agree that it needs to be fixed.

The issue is that this stuff doesn't get fixed. The penalties, the sub-par play on the offensive line - we're in a second season of the same issues, and the fact that they don't seem to get fixed almost has to be attributed to coaching. To what else do we point?

If he can turn it around I'm all for him staying - if for no other reason than the continuity would be beneficial for Rodgers. But if we see another season lost to offensive line issues and the like, I think it's fair to take a good long look at his employment status.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

If he can turn it around I'm all for him staying - if for no other reason than the continuity would be beneficial for Rodgers. But if we see another season lost to offensive line issues and the like, I think it's fair to take a good long look at his employment status.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Exactly.. if he and this staff can turn it around.. there is no reason to remove him.

But we haven't seen the progress in building a sound line and we still get the same old song and dance with the same results.

IMO, we should be looking a little more microscopically than McCarthy as a whole, most notably the oline coaching and interior linebackers.. .. but so far he has refused to acknowledge the issue and resolve it.. so it rides back up the fence to him.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Exactly.. if he and this staff can turn it around.. there is no reason to remove him.

But we haven't seen the progress in building a sound line and we still get the same old song and dance with the same results.

IMO, we should be looking a little more microscopically than McCarthy as a whole, most notably the oline coaching and interior linebackers.. .. but so far he has refused to acknowledge the issue and resolve it.. so it rides back up the fence to him.

Well, I hold him partially responsible for the retention of those oline coaches. Interior LBs, maybe not as much since I don't know how much of that is his call and how much is Capers' call. But certainly he made a decision to retain Campen when they cleaned house on the defensive side of the ball, so he's at least somewhat at fault in that instance.

Defense wasn't supposed to be a major strength this year - I think the preseason and the gaudy interception totals skewed our collective perception a bit. We were supposed to see some shaky moments and times where they were a little green around the gills (interestingly, the guy I was stumping for seems to have made a more immediate impact in Denver, but I'm not complaining about what we got). The offense was what was absolutely supposed to be our foundation. To date, they have not been anything like what we were led to expect.

And that, more than anything, is why the inactivity (bringing back Tauscher is the VERY LEAST they could do; if they hadn't it would have been a PR nightmare) and lack of a willingness to at least try to explain WHY they haven't "gotten it fixed" is making some fans' blood boil a bit.

I'm the guy who repeatedly said "I think the coaches know what they're doing" in the off-season. I believed that if they were confident in the personnel and coaches/schemes on that O-Line, they must have known what they were talking about. At this point the ugly truth is that my confidence is wavering - it'll waver even more if they get through the next couple days and don't take any more steps to shore up the corners, even though I fully expect that the Tauscher signing is all the effort we'll see in that arena.

Still, we're 2-2 at the bye with very winnable games on the horizon. I'm not calling for anyone's head right now, but the line has been drawn. They know the problem, I do expect them to fix it. If they don't, then I think some fan anger is justified.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I think one big problem is James Campen trying to teach a scheme he's never played in without a mentor.

I think we need to go back to Power OL ball. Right now. Screw the ZBS in every sense and straight up go with Power OL.
UserPostedImage
masseyattack
14 years ago
Bill Cowher would be an amazing hire for any team. I can't see McCarthy getting canned anytime soon, even if the Packers stink this year. People seem to get far too much time in this organisation (admittedly McCarthy's clock hasn't expired yet).
blank
porky88
14 years ago

I think people are jumping the gun assuming others are jumping the gun. The 2-2 record is not why some are considering the coach being canned. It's more so the tip of the ice berg. When you see the same failures year in year out, that means the coaching staff is failing.

Flags, bad OL play, no pass rush, etc ...

No one is saying OMG 2 - 2 FIRE THE COACH! What's being said is ... we should be better than 2 - 2 right now, but fact is, we're not. Look at the poll on the site, most contest that the OL is a chief concern. What was the problem last year? '07? '06? At least in '07 we busted out the short passing game to mask the bad OL play and it opened things up. Why not do that this year? Why continue banging your head against a brick wall hoping for a new result?

The season is young, and coach can still CLEAN THIS HOUSE and get the Pack back on track! I'm pulling for McCarthy to do so, but the signs of a failing coach are starting to be come increasingly visible.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I agree and I think McCarthy has always been a good coordinator trying to be a head coach. Very Norv Turner like. I just don't think what should happen necessary will happen because Packers aren't a bad football team. They're average, but not bad. Average will save his job one more season especially after the extension he got.
evad04
14 years ago

If McCarthy's admittedly tiring post-loss press-conference lexicon is an actual reason why people want him gone, I think we [fans] need to seriously re-evaluate things. If you want to argue that we're suffering from similar problems week in and week out, then put it that way. Just don't take such issue with what is, at best, press-conference "style points." I couldn't give two shits about how McCarthy or Thompson communicate in press conferences. I'd also have to be completely naive to think that the message McCarthy delivers to the team is as cookie-cutter politically correct as the "pad level/we need to get it fixed" speech we're so used to hearing.

I don't see a lot of our problems as directly attributable to coaching. Naturally, though, persistent inconsistencies are cause enough for people to look to the top of the latter (Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy).

I say give us some real options on the o-line and let us continue to add players and gain comfortability in the 3-4 -- we'll be dangerous. If we're not dangerous right now, that's honest to god good enough for me. We have plenty of season left and I'm still confident the Pack can make a push -- I just don't think we need to burn the house down if it ends in disappointment.

It's not what he says or doesn't say - he's certainly not the first coach to take the Captain Obvious route, after all. We can all clearly see the issues he refers to and we can all agree that it needs to be fixed.

The issue is that this stuff doesn't get fixed. The penalties, the sub-par play on the offensive line - we're in a second season of the same issues, and the fact that they don't seem to get fixed almost has to be attributed to coaching. To what else do we point?

"evad04" wrote:

First off, thanks for giving me more than "JEEZUS H CHRIST" for a response -- I think you might be on to something with the "blood-boiled" fans thing. I'm all about dialogue -- and for the record previous post was not in direct response to the OP; it was just kind of my general read on the topic.

The penalty issue I agree has been a hindrance. I put some of that on the front office's insistence that Jarrett Bush (and his "athleticism" and great special teams plays [cough] penalties [cough]) see the field. Otherwise, I don't know exactly how you coach out penalties. I'm not being facetious. I mean I don't actually know how that would be done, other than to make it a (God I hate myself for sounding like McCarthy) "point of focus" in practice and to "preach the fundamentals".
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
coltonja
14 years ago

The best case for a big name coach coming to GB would be Jon Gruden or Mooch. I think both have wanted to coach the Packers for along time, certainly Mooch who grew up a Packer fan.

"porky88" wrote:

Mooch, wow, I have not heard his name in years. What is he even doing anymoore? Not saying that wouldn't be interesting, just wondering.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The best case for a big name coach coming to GB would be Jon Gruden or Mooch. I think both have wanted to coach the Packers for along time, certainly Mooch who grew up a Packer fan.

"coltonja" wrote:

Mooch, wow, I have not heard his name in years. What is he even doing anymoore? Not saying that wouldn't be interesting, just wondering.

"porky88" wrote:

Mooch won't come here and I doubt Gruden would either. (no real reason, just a feeling)

Steve Marriuci is a NFL Network personality of some sort nowadays.
UserPostedImage