Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

The Green Bay Packers problems this season have been well documented, but in the interest of fair play, lets attempt to put a positive spin on the teams modest 2-2 start. Here are some compelling reasons why its too soon to write the Packers off:

Despite trailing the first-place Minnesota Vikings by 2 games, the Packers could make up ground quickly in the next month because of a soft schedule. The Packers face the lowly Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns (2-8 combined record) in the next two weeks. If that doesnt cure the Packers ills, nothing will.

The Packers could easily take a 4-2 record into their Nov. 1 rematch with the Vikings, who will be severely tested in their next two games against Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Its not inconceivable that the Vikings will lose twice and bring a 5-2 record to Lambeau Field.

Even if Minnesota splits its next two games, the Packers could tie for the NFC North lead by beating the Vikings and following it up with a road victory the next week against a bad Tampa Bay team.

The Packers two defeats came against teams with a combined 9-1 record. Its not as if theyre losing to the Little Sisters of the Poor.

When the Packers were upended by the Bengals at Lambeau Field, it was viewed in some circles as a debacle of epic proportions. In light of Cincinnatis 4-1 record and first-place standing in the rugged AFC North, that loss can now be viewed in a different light.

As for the Packers loss at the Metrodome, what else is new? A solid team like the Vikings is expected to defend its home turf in front of noisy, partisan fans. Even the Packers Super Bowl championship team in 1996 couldnt beat the Vikings on the road.

In addition, the Packers victory over Chicago in the season opener happens to be the Bears only loss of the year.

For as poorly as the Packers have protected their quarterback and run the football, and for as inconsistently as theyve played on defense, and for as many passes as theyve dropped and penalties theyve committed, its telling that the Packers stayed in contention against the Bengals and Vikings until the bitter end.

No, theres no such thing as a morale victory. But perhaps those games indicate the Packers, in spite of tripping all over themselves, possess enough talent to keep pace with some of the better teams in the league.

If tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher make healthy recoveries from injuries, how much better might the offense perform? Maybe the Packers will once again be able to protect Aaron Rodgers from harms way and show off their explosiveness.

If safety Atari Bigby returns to the starting lineup, maybe the Packers wont be forced to play essentially a man short on defense. With the potential emergence of rookie B.J. Raji, and players becoming more familiar with the 3-4 scheme, chances are good the defense will only get better as the season progresses.

UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
14 years ago
Very uplifting read.
gbguy20
14 years ago
good read, but why do i feel like this was already a thread?
packfan4
14 years ago
I agree, definately WAY too early to hit the panic button just yet. We have 7 games coming up and we're probably going to be favored in all of them, 4 at home(DET, MIN, DAL, SF) and our 3 away games are at CLE, at DET, and at TB. I think we will go at least 5-2 over the next 7 games and it's not inconceivable that we win all 7 if some things fall into place. A 5-2 record over the next 7 would have us at 7-4 heading into the last stretch of our schedule.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
Yes, very uplifting read. For some reason reading that made me feel even more comfortable about the Clifton/Tauscher duo. I agree with PackFan4 that we can actually win our next 7 games.
Minnesota and San Fran are the toughest games but San Fran has its struggles, Minnesota against two legit opponents and then @ Lambeau after can have a different turnout.

Dallas is just a struggling, hot mess right now.

Detroit and Cleveland together couldn't beat the Packers. When I think about Cleveland all I can think about is 2 for 17 D. Anderson and a 6-3 pathetic win over the Bills. Detroit is facing the injury bug right now and even if they were healthy, I believe the Pack still win.

Tampa Bay- 86 yards of total offense (against a stellar team). Another downright pathetic team this year.

There is upside to this season still and the only reason people jump the gun when the Packers are losing is because as a Packers fan, you expect nothing but GREATNESS from this team. Anything remotely below that is disappointing and that is a nice thing to have....sometimes.

Next 7 games should turn out 7-0 or 6-1...not being optimistic.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
14 years ago
I still don't understand how the hell you all got so confident. Before the season started you were all saying superbowl, then we got 4 weeks in and everyone was panicking. Now since then all that has happened is a bye week and bam you are all talking like our team hasn't played like garbage all season and that we should have no problem going 7-0.

?????????
14 years ago
Of course we seem like hypocrites if you pool all posters on here into one entity.

We need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. If we just play solid football, we should go 6-1 or 7-0, I agree.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

We need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. If we just play solid football, we should go 6-1 or 7-0, I agree.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Exactly... if we perform the way professionals should at a average output in a couple sagging areas, and we become a very solid team.

Most of this so called "panic", isn't* really panic, it is more of a frustration release of seeing repetitive issues surface week after week, then a "we need to clean it up statement", and repeat the process.

I think it is very fair to grind that ax.. doesn't mean that those grinding have given up, just ready for progress to happen..

I am excited to see this team come out of the break.. I hope their is a belly of emotional release from this team.. aggressive and "hungry".

* edit.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
El3ment12
14 years ago
That article is right on. Thank god for soft schedules!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
So, even in a thread that tries to shine some positive we get someone being negative. Gotta love our fans.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
beast (7h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (7h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (7h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (14h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (15h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.