Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

GREEN BAY The Green Bay Packers never seriously considered inserting veteran offensive tackles Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton into Sundays 38-26 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, but coach Mike McCarthy didnt deny that starting them this week at Tampa Bay is a distinct possibility.

Clifton, who has been limited to three starts because of a sprained ankle, and Tauscher, who has yet to play since signing with the team Oct. 12, were both active for Sundays game against the Vikings, but neither played the only two players on the 45-man game-day roster not to see action.

I'm going to take the week (to decide), very similar to last week, said McCarthy, who opted for incumbent right tackle Allen Barbre and rookie fourth-round pick T.J. Lang at left tackle. I'm going to see how Chad Clifton progresses through the week. I also want to see how Mark Tauscher progresses through the week. We'll look at our options as we build the game plan and work the plan through the week.

Neither Barbre nor Lang were disasters in Sundays loss to the Vikings, who registered six sacks to go with their eight from their Oct. 5 victory at the Metrodome. Lang gave up one sack and was partially at fault on another, while Barbre did not allow a sack but saw his man sack Aaron Rodgers on a pair of occasions when Rodgers held onto the ball too long. He also allowed several pressures, including one on which Jimmy Kennedy blasted Rodgers in the chest as he threw.

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said the coaches discussed putting Clifton and/or Tauscher into the game Sunday at halftime but decided against it.

No one is suggesting we did a great job in the first half, by any stretch, but we didnt have a ton of evidence that, Hey, were getting killed every play. Lets get somebody in there, Philbin said. Then we got the ball moving a little bit. Again, that doesnt mean the tackles played great. We were rolling a little bit, so we kept riding that horse.

"I don't know if we had any blatant, crystal clear evidence that. Hey, these guys are getting whipped out there. Let's make a substitution. I don't think we ruled out the possibility that we might do something in the second half, but then we got into a rhythm, the ball got moving a little bit so we said. Let it ride out a little bit."

But the ride could end this week. After the game Clifton said he was active as just an emergency backup. I told them, I can play. But its one of those things with not knowing how long I could go, and rather than risk injuring it further, we just went (with Lang). You always want to be out there. Definitely.

Tauscher was not in the locker room after the game, and he seems to have avoided the locker room during all media availability sessions since his signing. While he does have daily rehab sessions with the training staff, he may also be biting his tongue about wanting to play.

I don't know where his knee is at, whether he's ready to play, Philbin said. I'm not saying it's not, but I don't know that it's safe to assume. That would be the realistic question to pose to him or the training staff. Is 70 plays realistic for the guy? I don't know that. Maybe it is, or it may not be."

McCarthy admitted that the 31 sacks the Packers have allowed are a negative but he disputed the suggestion that they mightve been better off playing Clifton and Tauscher Sunday.

I would think that would fall under the category of convenient criticism, McCarthy said. Really, I think Chad's situation and Mark's are totally different about where they are as far as their readiness to play. But coming out in the third quarter, we clearly established ourselves. Frankly, the third quarter and halfway through the fourth quarter, our passing game, you can't play much better. We made some errors there going down on that last drive before the field goal attempt that frankly cost us an opportunity to score in that area. But the way the offense was playing in the third and beginning of the fourth quarter, we didn't feel there was a reason to change.

The error was a sack allowed to an unblocked Jared Allen on second-and-3 from the Vikings 28-yard line. With linebacker E.J. Henderson threatening to blitz up the middle and then pulling back before the snap, Rodgers didnt change the protection and, working out of an empty backfield, didnt get rid of the ball immediately as Allen rushed past Lang, who blocked down along with left guard Daryn Colledge.

Ideally, Rodgers would have changed the protection, Lang would have blocked Allen one-on-one, and Rodgers would have had enough time to get rid of the ball and keep the drive going. Instead, after a third-and-8 incompletion, the Packers settled for a 51-yard field-goal attempt, which Mason Crosby missed.

(Lang) would have blocked Jared Allen, were sitting there first-and-10, we score a touchdown and were all smart coaches and weve got great players and we made a terrific comeback and what great character our guys have Im reading the story you guys were going to write, Philbin said.

Then the other part of the equation is its not the end of the world that Jared Allen came unblocked. That happens in scat protection, in five-man protection. Even if we call it the wrong way, and weve got to respect E.J. Hendersons blitz because hes standing in the A gap right there. That guys probably rushing, so get (the ball) out. We werent coordinated. Bad football. We shouldve executed better. Bad. Thats on me.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
So let's say for argument's sake we put both Clifton and Tauscher in and we only give up, say, five sacks but we have several procedural penalties. Then what?
UserPostedImage
coltonja
14 years ago

So let's say for argument's sake we put both Clifton and Tauscher in and we only give up, say, five sacks but we have several procedural penalties. Then what?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

IMO if there are no sacks and 5-10 penalties that's better. And you know why? Because A-Rodge is getting killed
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I wouldn't disagree, but that isn't the question I asked.
UserPostedImage
coltonja
14 years ago
My bad, 5 sacks + Penalties = Start Lang and Barbre
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Thank you. I appreciate your candor. 🙂
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I think we should move forward with Lang, for the time being. extended tryout, if you will. Barbre, that's a little murkier waters. he's had 7 games, and while he has improved, he's not been good. If Tausch is ready, the coaches have a tough decision to make.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I want to win now. And in five years.

Start whomever gives you the best chance to win the next game.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago

"coltonja" wrote:

IMO if there are no sacks and 5-10 penalties that's better. And you know why? Because A-Rodge is getting killed

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

We'd lose yardage but not a down. Plus Rodgers doesn't get hit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
IronMan
14 years ago
"(Lang) would have blocked Jared Allen, were sitting there first-and-10, we score a touchdown and were all smart coaches and weve got great players and we made a terrific comeback and what great character our guys have Im reading the story you guys were going to write, Philbin said."

Hey Philbin, how about you stop mocking the reporters, and cut the smart ass routine. Arod is getting killed and its because YOU aren't doing your job.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (4h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (9h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (9h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (9h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.