Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Article written by Mike Florio of PFT.com

A league source called us this morning with an unexpected bit of bad news. Topps, the only trading card company for most of my youth, is exiting the football market.

A quick search revealed that the folks at Beckett broke the story on Monday.

Per the source, Players Inc. (the marketing arm of the NFL Players Association) has opted to proceed in 2010 with licenses granted only to Upper Deck and Panini.

Though Topps could have continued without the NFL license, which would have brought back the days of helmet decals obscured with what appeared to be a 10-cent felt-tip pen, it's fairly difficult to sell football cards without the names and likenesses of football players on them.

The trading-card industry has diminished over the past two decades, possibly due to the inherently low-tech nature of it. But for those of us who grew up in the '70s, there are still a bunch of the wax-pack cards somewhere in the attic, the basement, or both.

There also might be a few pieces of the sugar-dusted concrete chewing gum floating around in shoe boxes as well. They come in handy when unable to find a hammer.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
In the early 90's I had a paper route and would buy cards every week that I got paid. Packs of Score, Upper Deck, Fleer, Pacific, etc ... my favorite is Barry Sanders '89 Score rookie card. That was Score's first year and they had a dozen cards that were easily obtained in the early years.

Towards the mid to late 90's I started losing interest. There were just too many different brands of cards. I used to be able to walk in and choose from less than 10 brand names. Suddenly, every company was making cards. It lost its fun when everyone started doing it. One of the best things about card collecting is to get the rare card. Like getting Boardwork on McDonalds Monopoly.

When I opened one of the $16 (something high like that) dollar packs of '84 Topps my dad bought me, I nearly did a cart wheel when I flipped through and seen John Elway, I couldn't believe it. What was even more amazing was the last card of the pack, Dan Marino. My dad immediately drove us to Baseball Card World and bought me two thick plastic, screw tight, card cases for them.

Card collecting was such a great hobby for kids. It's unfortunate that American Business have ruined it. It's something I really miss doing. I went into a card shop, the one I used to stop at weekly, and a pack of 8 cards was nearly $10! Eight cards for ten bucks? Man, it was great when I was just a big younger when you could get 20 cards for jus a few bucks.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago
My brothers collected all kinds of baseball cards, I'm STILL somewhat embarrassed to admit that I collected Pokemon cards. I started when I was 11 or something, okay? >_>

To be COMPLETELY on-topic, I was unaware that there were three companies making NFL trading cards. Three's a crowd, maybe it'll be better for collectors?
Rockmolder
14 years ago

My brothers collected all kinds of baseball cards, I'm STILL somewhat embarrassed to admit that I collected Pokemon cards. I started when I was 11 or something, okay? >_>

To be COMPLETELY on-topic, I was unaware that there were three companies making NFL trading cards. Three's a crowd, maybe it'll be better for collectors?

"Porforis" wrote:

I collected Pokmon cars, as well. Trading for a Charizard made for the happiest day of my young life till that point. At least for an hour.

Anyway, that's a nice childhood story, Z2. Do you still have the cards?
Cheesey
14 years ago
I have THOUSANDS of cards. I collect a little of everything, but mostly football. The cost nowadays is crazy. A retail pack will run you around $3.

But the nice thing about today's cards is, the neat rare cards you might pull. About 2 months ago i was at WalMart in Iron Mountain Michigan. One of the Topps American Heritage baseball packs was noticeably thicker then the other packs in the box. So i figured, maybe there's a special card in it. Turned out there was a VERY special card in it. It's "Heroes of Sport" with 2 pieces of game worn jersey pants embeded into the card, numbered 20 of only 20 made.
The players whose pants the swatches were cut from? Lou Gehrig, and Babe Ruth!
I also have many cards with game worn swatches of Packers. Brett Favre, Ahman Green, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and others. Plus autographs of Driver, Jennings, James Jones, Dorsey Levens, Brandon Jackson, and so on.
The first autographed card I ever pulled from a pack was out of "Collector's Edge" (out of business now) back in 1998. And it is Emmitt Smith, only 50 made. I honestly almost passed out when i saw what i had. I had to sit down, or i would have fell down.
Sad that Topps is leaving football. But Topps will have the only license to sell major league baseball cards next year, and Panini has the license to the NBA. So it almost seems like the companies are trying to "corner the market" is specific sports.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
Hmm I used to collect football cards when I was young. Me and my friends used to get together and hold drafts with them lol it was a lot of fun. I still have two drawers full of cards that I collected or the years (mostly football, a few baseball and some pokemon, magic and battletech cards). I have a lot of rookie cards but none really rare. Although I do have an autographed Luis Castillo rookie card for baseball.
Cheesey
14 years ago
I still enjoy collecting. I wish i had the cards i had when i was a kid. Makes me sick to think about it.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
A few years ago my Mother was dating a guy that loved to collect cards.. I mean LOVED it. I don't know the number of cards he had, but I do know then they moved in with each other, they kept his apartment. He had BOXES EVERYWHERE full of trading cards. Baseball, hockey, football, basketball.. He just collected cards. I loved the guy because I could relate.. we were like little kids at a candy shop when we'd go to card shows (I remember wheelin' and dealin' with him.. lol)

If I had to guess how many cards Bobby (mom's ex-boyfriend) had, I'd say multiple multiple millions. He had pathways in his apartment, otherwise it was FULL of boxes that were FULL of cards.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
A man after my own (damaged) heart!
When we moved several years ago, i put out HUGE boxes of cards with the garbage. Someone came by and picked them up. I'm glad....at least they didn't go to waste. I just didn't have room for all of them.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (12h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (17h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (19h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (19h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (22h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (22h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (22h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (22h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (23h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.