Stevetarded
14 years ago
The youngest team in the league complaint is overrated as hell. It means absolutely nothing.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

You know what else bugs me that people rarely bring up? We don't generate any sacks. As a team, we've sacked the opposing QB 13 times total, while allowing 37. That's almost 1/3rd. No, not acceptable.

We have to generate more pressure to win more games.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

ya capers scheme isnt good enough IMO what he is doing isnt good enough

look at the broncos - they also did a new defense this year. And they are 3rd with sacks at 26. Now are their guys much better then ours? ... I dont think so. Ill take our D players over theirs anyday.

ok what denver isnt good enough - how about the DC sean mcdermott we went after; at philadelphia (first year DC at phily) (now their guys could be better then ours - bit iffy there). They are 2nd in the league with 27 sacks.

Capers needs to be more aggressive with the right guys. Stop blitizing a corner and come with some powerhouse backers. Bishop/hawk/kampman/matthews (these guys can all blitz alright - chillar and barnett do ok but they do better coverage jobs then blitzes).

oh ya we are 29th in the sack department.

and ya I dont blame our players

Jolly, pickett, and jenkins have been outstanding IMO (much much better then I could have imagined).
matteogb4
14 years ago
can someone explain why a lot of times we have only 2 DL???

i cant understand the reason...we have pickett, jolly, jenkins, raji, montgomery and in pass situation even kampman can be a DL.

htan i cant understand why u kep hawk out to play dime defense, that means bush on the field...it is 3 years we are waiting for him...how long we have to wait again??? we got rid of smith in just a training camp...ok, he is not a pro bowler but maybe he could deserved a look...and most of all hawk was the best player last sunday
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

ya capers scheme isnt good enough IMO what he is doing isnt good enough

look at the broncos - they also did a new defense this year. And they are 3rd with sacks at 26. Now are their guys much better then ours? ... I dont think so. Ill take our D players over theirs anyday.

ok what denver isnt good enough - how about the DC sean mcdermott we went after; at philadelphia (first year DC at phily) (now their guys could be better then ours - bit iffy there). They are 2nd in the league with 27 sacks.

Capers needs to be more aggressive with the right guys. Stop blitizing a corner and come with some powerhouse backers. Bishop/hawk/kampman/matthews (these guys can all blitz alright - chillar and barnett do ok but they do better coverage jobs then blitzes).

oh ya we are 29th in the sack department.

and ya I dont blame our players

Jolly, pickett, and jenkins have been outstanding IMO (much much better then I could have imagined).

"Dulak" wrote:

Dulak - I was one of the people cheering loudly when we got Dom Capers. I really hate it when I'm this wrong.

Our D isn't that impressive. It generates no pressure and so far this year, we haven't had the big plays we had last year on our 6-10 team on D.

I don't get it. I honestly don't. Does Capers need more time? Well, you answered that question with your examples. So I guess that excuse isn't valid.

And I agree, it's not our players. I love our D. I love Woody, Kampy, Harris, Collins, Barnett, and Jenkins. Jolly is good. Hawk can use improvement but he's still a decent player. Matthews is impressive in his first 8 games. So you can't really say it's the personnel.

I just want to know WTF is going on out there? Why are we allowing so many points? How did we allow all those points to the Bucs, who we should have slaughtered?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
We were a young team when McCarthy pretty much salvaged what was a rough season in '06 and we were young when we won 13 games the next year.

We are not that young in the starting groups other than 0line when Lang and Barbre are in there with Sitton that's three first year starters. The problem isn't age it's Lang is out of position, Wells is not a topflight NFL Center and Barbre is simply not good. This is his second year now and Loadholdt for the Vikes is twice the players for them as a rookie. Just the impact of how he's played for them and Barbre played for us was huge in both games we played them.

We have plenty of experience in the starting groups in all other areas other than Mathews and he's a good football player.

Hopefully we can get Tauscher back soon and maybe Lang can pull off a miracle and do something over there on the right side until then. I don't know, what's scary is we don't have a lot of any other options than what we know does not work.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I'd be down for a
Clifton - Lang - Wells (rather Spitz but he's IR) - Sitton - Tauscher
line up.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Man, I love (sarcasm) the ripping of the defense - let's not be pleased with an overall marked improvement from last season and instead complain that it isn't as good as Denver's. I don't remember a lot of people clamoring for Nolan in the off-season.

It's better than last year and still improving. Yeah, more sacks would be great, but this is hardly a bad defense - I don't know of many Ds that can look good when the ST unit gives the opposing team's O ridiculous field position.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
After 8 games into the season, we're in the top five on defense. That's not too bad. Unfortunately our special teams is by far our weakest link and making everything look bad.

And before you say we padded our defensive stats against weak teams, well guess what. OTHER TEAMS PLAYED THEM TOO! So get off that wagon.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
ILike - I've already stated our #1 problem by far is our OL. But you have to admit that our D needs to generate more sacks. One third less sacks than we allow is not acceptable.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

ILike - I've already stated our #1 problem by far is our OL. But you have to admit that our D needs to generate more sacks. One third less sacks than we allow is not acceptable.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I admitted it in my post - I know they need to get more, and I think they will. They're getting pressure; that pressure just isn't getting home to this point. Pressure without sacks isn't sexy and doesn't show up in stats, but it does affect the game.

Transitioning the D scheme is a process. I think we all got WAY too jacked up about the pre-season and the expectations are unrealistic. Instead of being pleased with the improvement we're mad because they don't have a high sack total.

As for Denver's D, it's looking like teams are starting to figure it out now that they have several games worth of film to look at. They're coming back down to earth.
blank