Trippster
14 years ago
It's not the Offense!

It is not the offensive line, it is not Rodgers, it is not the play calling. It is the defense. Defense. DEFENSE!!

Sure our oline needs to improve...but not in order to win games. We are putting points up on the board. Problem is, we arent keeping our opponents off the board.

In the eight games so far Our offense has averaged 26 points per game. By anyone's benchmark, that is a telling stat of a very productive offense. Even with the sacks.

The defense has allowed on average 21 points a game. And that includes shuting out Detroit and holding the mighty potent offense of the Cleveland Sucks on ice to three points!

Take away those two games and the offense still averages 26 points but the defense gives up an average of 28 points a game! Unacceptable!

We have a whole new scheme while changing zero players. Round pegs, square holes. Improve the defense, lower the points, win games. Not hard. Since Mike McCarthy is a stat guy have him suck on those stats.

As far as Rodgers goes, GB is keeping 2 and sometimes 3 guys in the backfield to help out with the blocking. This lowers the recievers out in pattern to 3 and easier for defenses to cover. This forces Rodgers to look harder and longer. this also allows the defense to jump the slants and take them away.

Changing Coaches won't help, only delay future success.

Fix the defense. Get rid of Kampman. I love him and his presence in the locker room but he is not the right fit for a 3/4 I would look at Harris too. Whenever a big play is needed, they go against him. Also, we need a huge presence on the D line.

It's not the offense.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
bakler5
14 years ago
Hard to not give up points when average opponent starting position is the 40 yard line.
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Porforis
14 years ago
It's really hard to keep people off the board when the special teams has been terrible. 7th to last in yards/kick return, 3rd to last in yards/punt return. As of a few games ago we were dead last in net punting.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
My big beef with the D is we don't generate enough pressure and don't get enough sacks.

That said, I agree with Bakler. Our D gets a short field to defend it seems every single game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Defense has problems as well, as ST, as well as the offense. Which explains why we are playing like shit.

I blame the defensive problems on only having 2 Dlineman in the game.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
14 years ago
Another thing to add, the Packers are fourth in the NFL in yards allowed/game at 282.9, fourth in picks at 12, and in a 3 way tie for 11th in fumbles recovered on defense at 6.
porky88
14 years ago
It's the coaching, not the talent.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I posted this in the official Packer - Cowboy thread, after seeing this thread it probably goes better here.

How about a little 4-3 against The Boys it can be done Mike. Last week was a must win, didn't get the job done, this week is the season, how about shakin' it up a bit.

Jaguars | Go to 4-3 defense in Week 9
Comment (0)
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:10:52 -0800

Mark Long, of The Associated Press, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars went back to a 4-3 defense against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 9, with successful results. Head coach Jack Del Rio does not anticipate another defensive move after the performance. "We're going to continue to scratch around and settle on things we think our guys can do best," Del Rio said. "If you're playing a four-man line, you're counting on your ends to generate a little pressure. I feel like our guys were excited about what we did. Obviously, we had a little success and want to build on that." DL Quentin Groves was back in the starting lineup last week after falling to the third team, and recorded three tackles.

The point about average starting position is a good one, tough for a defense to stop teams when they are continually starting in your territory.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
djcubez
14 years ago
All of you have great points in this thread.

1. Our ST is a joke now. If the other team didn't constantly get good field position our defense wouldn't give up so many points. Tramon does no good on punt returns because all of a sudden he forgot how to go straight forward. He could use some advice from Grant.

2. We need to put more receivers out there, not have more blockers. Rodgers has a quick release but when he has no one open to throw to he holds on to the ball longer, which is a bad tendency but you have to plan around it. We took a bad approach by taking away targets to aid in blocking. If Rodger's had more targets not only would he probably find an open receiver quicker but the opposing defense would have to drop more people into coverage.

3. Our play-calling on offense is horrendous. We need to run short, quick routes more often. If our blocking is terrible why don't we call more screens? That would make defensive players have to respect the screen and therefore slow down their pass rush a bit. If Rodgers is good on the move why don't we run more roll-outs and bootlegs? Why do we run so many draw plays? If defenses get a lot of penetration on pass-plays draws won't work, it's as simple as that.

4. Two down lineman. What the hell is that? We have linebackers blitzing almost every play but since we only have two down lineman they get a one-on-one matchup against a 300+ lber.

5. Playing to players strengths. Why the hell are we putting two great bump-and-run corners in the zone? Why the hell is our best pass rusher dropping into coverage? Capers was supposed to come in here and build the defense around the players talents but he's hardly doing that. We have pro bowl caliber players on defense in Jenkins, Collins, Woodson, Harris and Kampman yet only Woodson is having a good season.

6. Running the 4-3. In the past few years our defensive line has been a glaring weakness which is one reason we switched to the 3-4. However, if you look at last years line compared to this years we actually are better suited for the 4-3 now than we were a year ago. Jenkins was hurt last season and we didn't have Raji putting us with a 4-3 lineup of Kampman, Pickett, Jolly, Montgomery. Now we could rotate Kampman, Pickett, Raji, Jolly and Jenkins into a 4-3 and have a solid defensive line. Not to mention that our line looks better than our linebackers. I'm not saying we should go back to the 4-3, I just think we should play some 4-3.

7. Stupid penalties. I hate to say it but I think as a team we face a higher scrutiny from referees because of our penalty problems early in the season. Because of this any close call is going to against us. This means that we probably won't get rid of our penalty problems for the rest of the year, however we have to stop getting the stupid penalties. The ones that are avoidable like false starts, taunting and personal fouls. There's no excuses for those.

8. McCarthy's gameplanning. McCarthy has this idea that things that can be "fixed" and that players habits can be "changed." While I agree with him it's not something that happens overnight. All players have strengths and weaknesses and it's a part of a good gameplan to play to those players strengths while trying to minimize their weaknesses. McCarthy decides he has to "change" the players tendencies instead of adjusting or altering his play-calling to fit players tendencies. A good team is one that properly harnesses every players individual talent. A bad team is one that tries to make players change the way they play to fit a scheme or a game plan.
nerdmann
14 years ago

My big beef with the D is we don't generate enough pressure and don't get enough sacks.

That said, I agree with Bakler. Our D gets a short field to defend it seems every single game.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Yeah, the D is alot better than they seem.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (13h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (17h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.