Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

A year ago, the Green Bay Packers reached the halfway point of the season with a 4-4 record and their season at a crossroads.

They crumbled in the second half and won just two more games.

Theyre at the same point this season heading into their ninth game. Beginning with Sundays game against the NFC East-leading Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field, the Packers face a much tougher second-half schedule, which has many wondering how they can avoid the same fate as last season, when they finished 6-10 a year after playing in the NFC championship game.

Because I have faith, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said Friday when asked why this year would be different. I have faith in these players and coaches and in the Green Bay Packers.

Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy, the top two men in the Packers football operation, heard loud and clear from the head of the organization this week that he expects things to change in the second half of the season. On Monday, Packers President Mark Murphy expressed his disappointment in the teams performance.

Thompson was out of town on a scouting trip when Murphy made those comments but addressed them when he returned on Friday.

We need to play better and play the way were capable of playing, Thompson said. Marks been around the game, so he understands that. Hes seen this team, and I think were better than what weve shown so far.

Just as Murphy gave Thompson his support on Monday, saying he has a lot of confidence in Ted, Thompson offered similar praise for the coach he hired in 2006 and gave a new five-year contract to in January 2008. When asked where his confidence level is in McCarthy, Thompson said very high and added that its as high as its ever been.

I know this is an up-and-down business, Thompson said. Sometimes the difference between winning and losing is very close, but you have to have a belief system, and you have to know that the people that you have are what you think they are, and we believe in that.

Thompson refused to put the blame on McCarthy and his coaching staff but at the same time defended the roster he has assembled.

I think we have good enough players, Thompson said. Ultimately, the responsibility is mine. So this is my responsibility when things go bad, but I think were a better team. I think our players would say were a better team, and I think our coaching staff would say that were a better team than how weve been functioning the last couple of weeks.

Murphy said on Monday he expected things to change. That came a day after the Packers shocking 38-28 loss at Tampa Bay, which was 0-7 coming into the game, but the former NFL player-turned-executive wouldnt offer suggestions. Like his predecessor Bob Harlan always did, Murphy said thats up to the guys in the football operations.

Yet after months in the offseason program, a full training camp and eight regular season games, what can really change?

I think theres an evolution of teams as you go along, Thompson said. I think we can get better in a number of ways. I think were capable of playing a lot better, and I think everybodys of that opinion. So its just important for us to put together a good game and play the way we can.

For his part, McCarthy made a couple of significant changes this week. First, he went to what he calls his winter schedule, which includes shorter pre-practice meetings and a few less reps in practice. As far as his lineup, he moved rookie T.J. Lang into the starting lineup at right tackle.

So despite that his team will face eight opponents with a combined record of 33-33 (compared with the 21-35 mark the first-half opponents possess), McCarthy sees improvement coming in the second half.

I think you have to improve, regardless of your record, McCarthy said. Thats something you always focus on. We feel that November is the opportunity to start playing your best football. The third quarter, Mike Eayrs (director of research and development) did a presentation Thursday, very evident about how roles change and how you have to adjust and make the adjustments from personnel, schematic, thats the challenge. I dont think were very far off of where we want to be, and we need to stay focused on that and make the adjustments as we move forward.

The alarm bells have been sounding not only because of the Packers shocking loss at Tampa Bay on Sunday, where some of the same problems pass protection issues, special teams breakdowns and penalties that have hampered them throughout the season continued against what at the time was the NFLs only winless team, but also because of two losses to the arch-rival Minnesota Vikings that have the Packers running a distant second place in the NFC North.

And it comes after a half season of football that followed big expectations based on stellar play in the preseason.

Perhaps expectations were out of whack, but its clear Thompson shares Murphys disappointment in the teams first-half performance.

Its a riddle, a puzzle, whatever you want to call it, Thompson said. Its a hard game, a hard business, and its a very unforgiving business if you get on the wrong side of it, and thats just the way it goes.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I doubt that faith is going to get us really far.

Thompson seems to overestimate the amount of talent on his team. Same reason why he doesn't sign a lot of FAs, imo. I think he's still somewhat blindfolded here. He still sees our O-line as one that's capable of just turning it around.

I think that we might reduce the sack numbers a bit, but we certainly won't stay under 55-60.

We'll see how much effect all this talking, motivating and keeping faith and trust has. It'd be great if it would and this team would have a magical turn around. It'd be horrible if it would, showing that this team doesn't have enough motivation at the beginning of a season to just go out and play their best.
LambeauEast
14 years ago
His "faith" will be his downfall.
UserPostedImage
macbob
14 years ago

Source Link 

Theyre at the same point this season heading into their ninth game. Beginning with Sundays game against the NFC East-leading Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field, the Packers face a much tougher second-half schedule, which has many wondering how they can avoid the same fate as last season, when they finished 6-10 a year after playing in the NFC championship game.

Because I have faith, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said Friday when asked why this year would be different. I have faith in these players and coaches and in the Green Bay Packers.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

So when asked the difference between this year and last year, Ted responds this year I have faith in the players and coaches? Last year he didnt have faith in them???
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago

Source Link 

"macbob" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

So when asked the difference between this year and last year, Ted responds this year I have faith in the players and coaches? Last year he didnt have faith in them???

Of course he did last year, we all did. They were coming off of a 13-3 season. You are reading way too much into the comments and making a big deal out of something that isn't.

edit: The part you quoted that says "this year" was not in Ted's quote. Please don't add stuff that isn't there to help strengthen your argument, just let it stand on it's own accurately. That kind of stuff is incredibly irritating.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
"I think we have good enough players."

Oh?

Doesn't this logically lead to either: 1. Thompson is lousy judge of players. or 2. The coaching staff isn't getting things done.

So, what is this faith based on again, Ted?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Faith makes all things possible, but a functional O-Line makes all things easier.

Good luck boys.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Scottish_Packer
14 years ago
"I have faith" - just no talent for managing a team.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
14 years ago
Isn't this the same thing we hear every time a head is about to roll in the NFL? Faith ...i stand behind my coaches...==death sentence to someone.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Isn't this the same thing we hear every time a head is about to roll in the NFL? Faith ...i stand behind my coaches...==death sentence to someone.

"gotarace" wrote:

Gosh I hope that's true! Meaning, Ted Thompson saying he has faith means he's going to drop Mike McCarthy after this year if we miss the playoffs or are sub .500.

If there's consistent improvement from this point forward, I'm fine with the regime. But I mean CONSISTENT improvement. None of this, good one week, awful the next, average the next. I'm talking less dropped balls, fewer flags, better special teams coverage, less sacks etc ... improvements in each phase mentioned.

Then, in the off season, I would like to see Ted Thompson pretend that we're a few players away from being a legitimate contender and spend some dollars to bring in some veteran talent.

Yeah, I know the likelihood of this happening. Shut up! 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25m) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (3h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (6h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (9h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (10h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.