Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

GREEN BAY As the avalanche of sacks have piled up on Aaron Rodgers during the first half of the season an NFL-high 37 and counting entering Sundays game against the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field weve managed to blame just about everyone associated with the Green Bay Packers.

(Go ahead insert your own maintenance-guy joke here. You know you want to.)

Weve blamed the primary culprits, the offensive line, as the musical chairs have continued (six starting lineup combinations in nine games), disappointing right tackle Allen Barbre has been benched (first for Mark Tauscher, now for T.J. Lang), veteran left tackle Chad Clifton continues to battle a bad ankle (and uneven play when he has been in there) and left guard Daryn Colledge has allowed several back-breaking sacks (including one late in last weeks loss to previously winless Tampa Bay).

Weve blamed Rodgers for holding onto the ball too long on occasion, a valid criticism in several instances but one that seems to have gained more steam than it deserves against a quarterback who despite the constant pressure has completed 63.1% of his passes for 2,255 yards, with 16 touchdowns and five interceptions (103.3 passer rating) while also rushing for 214 yards and two touchdowns making him the teams second-leading rusher behind halfback Ryan Grant.

Weve blamed the running backs especially Grant, who has carried 149 times for 621 yards (4.2-yard average) and four touchdowns for not being more productive on the ground, since a more successful running game would take some of the pressure off the passing game.

Weve blamed the receivers, for dropping passes (22, third-most in the league) and, in the wake of Sundays loss to the Buccaneers, for not getting open against inferior defensive backs, causing Rodgers to hold onto the ball longer, leading to coverage sacks.

But what about the play-calling? How much blame goes to coach Mike McCarthy? Has he strayed from the quick, short passing game that had been the key to an unstoppable offense in 2007, when the team went 13-3 and reached the NFC Championship Game?

Based purely on numbers and counterintuitive as it may seem the Packers have been throwing the ball down the field more this season than they ever have since McCarthy took over as head coach and offensive play-caller in 2006, despite the near-constant pressure Rodgers has been under.

According to STATS LLC, Rodgers has already thrown 45 deep passes defined as throws that travel 21 or more yards in the air in the first eight games season, while Favre threw just 52 such balls in 16 games in 2007.

In 16 games last season, Rodgers threw 65 passes that traveled 21+ yards in the air. This season, hes on pace for 90. And who knows how many of the 37 sacks would have been down-the-field passes?

Shown those statistics late in the week, McCarthy acknowledged what the numbers would seem to indicate.

The conception your making with your numbers is, hey, hes still going high-tide, he doesnt care about those sacks, McCarthy said. And thats not true. Just because the ball goes down the field, that doesnt mean (we dont care about sacks).

So why are the Packers throwing deep if they cant protect their quarterback? The answer is twofold: One, Rodgers strength is the down-the-field throw, and two, opposing defenses have wised up to the Packers use of quick slants and short throws and are adjusting accordingly to take such plays away.

Rodgers said opposing defensive backs now are playing up at the line of scrimmage to challenge receivers Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones, who in 2007 helped the Packers lead the NFL in yards after the catch. Cornerbacks are now playing more inside leverage, Rodgers said, meaning they line up shaded inside the receiver, toward the middle of the field, making it difficult for the receiver to get open on a slant pattern.

Rodgers said the change has been especially noticeable against the Packers NFC North division opponents, whom they face twice a year.

The defenses adjust. They're smart, Rodgers said. Your common opponents, they don't play you the same way two years in a row, (or even) two games in a row. So we've seen a lot more inside leverage. Which, if you're going to press and play inside leverage to take away our quick slant game, you've got to take shots down the field.

The Packers sack stats seem to bear Rodgers theory out. Even though only half of their games have been against division rivals two against Minnesota, one each against Chicago and Detroit 23 of the 37 takedowns (62.2%) have come against the Vikings (14), Bears (four) and Lions (five).

"I'm all about getting the ball out of my hand as quickly as possible. That's how you win games, Rodgers said, admitting that he has held onto the ball too long at times. You don't want to take sacks. That's how you stay healthy. But when teams are taking away the slant game, you've got to throw the ball down the field. And to throw the ball down the field, you've got to hold it a little longer. The protection's got to hold up, and you've got to sit in there. That's kind of the give-and-take you've got to deal with."

Thats also the danger of having a quarterback who throws the ball downfield so effectively, McCarthy said. But he also said he calls plenty of shorter passes as well because Rodgers throws them just as effectively.

The strength of Aaron Rodgers is the vertical ball. That is what we do with our guy, McCarthy said. But we still call (short passes). Youre going to see a lot of em this week (against Dallas) the drag slant, the look slant, those are in every week. Kangaroo. Denver. Denver is still our No. 1 three-step drop. Its all the same stuff that weve always called, and if anything, weve called it more or as much this year.

Im not trying to be a smart (aleck) here. Thats the way you play the game. Aaron is an exceptional down-the-field thrower. Hell yeah, were going to attack the verticals. (But) thats the juggle. (And) part of the frustration.

Still, McCarthy insisted that hes not leaving Rodgers vulnerable with his play-calling. In fact, he said he has not called a straight seven-step drop since the regular-season opener against Chicago, when Rodgers was sacked four times to set the tone for the rest of the season. While there have been some seven-step drops on play-action passes, McCarthy said hes called more three- and five-step drop plays than ever and used additional pass-protectors far more than the last two years.

McCarthy said the greater issue in protection has been the lack of cohesion on the offensive line. He likened his play-calling approach to the one he took in 2006, when three rookies Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll started 10 games apiece on the line and McCarthy was forced to call more max-protections and reduce the number of deep drops Favre took.

While offensive coordinator Joe Philbin admitted the downfield passing numbers were kind of a surprising stat to me, he argued that the high sack numbers are more a function of the lines poor play than anything else.

I think the sack issue is fundamentals and execution, Philbin said. I'm not going to sit here and say that sometimes, Aaron hasnt held the ball a couple of times. But the majority are offensive line sacks, and you can point to the fundamentals. I cant remember the last time we took a (straight) seven-step drop. I think we've been cognizant of the situation we're in.

To me, if Aaron had 12 interceptions and 37 sacks, you'd be thinking, 'My God, he must be forcing the ball down to somebody deep, throwing the ball into triple coverage.' We don't have a lot of those plays on film. We have some protection breakdowns."

This guy can throw the ball. He doesn't struggle with any of the routes."

He just needs his offensive line to keep him upright to do so, right?

"Seriously, Philbin replied. His ability to throw the intermediate route, he throws a great crossing route. His best route is probably that 15-yard out that he throws. He has great anticipation on that throw. But he's got plenty of his velocity on his slants. He can squeeze it in there, I don't think he has any problem."

So what do the Packers do about it, besides execute better? Not much, apparently. But whatever they do, it better be soon.

It's priority No. 1, Rodgers said. I keep saying the same thing: I don't feel like I've changed the way I've played. Obviously, when you're dealing with a situation, things change. Things change depending on who you're lining up against on offense, depending on who you're playing against on defense.

I'm confident if we eventually find the right rhythm, the right group up front, guys that are healthy and it's a necessity, said Rodgers, who was sacked 34 times in 16 games last season. I don't know how long I can hold up, 16 games, taking 4.7 sacks per game. That's a lot of pounding.

A closer look at the Packers passing game over the past four years:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
Wow McCarthy said "hell ya?" That's the most fired up I've ever heard him.
nerdmann
14 years ago
We've been bitching about them going deep too much all season.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Yup, this is the one aspect that truly makes me pull out my hair...all the shots down field. And I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine that if defenses are taking away the slant on them, why there can't be some intermediate route instead of going deep.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
I'll wait until our line can consistently block a 4 man rush with 5 or 6 guys like every other team in the NFL then worry about the play calling.
blank
Silentio
14 years ago

So why are the Packers throwing deep if they cant protect their quarterback? The answer is twofold: One, Rodgers strength is the down-the-field throw, and two, opposing defenses have wised up to the Packers use of quick slants and short throws and are adjusting accordingly to take such plays away.

Rodgers said opposing defensive backs now are playing up at the line of scrimmage to challenge receivers Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones, who in 2007 helped the Packers lead the NFL in yards after the catch. Cornerbacks are now playing more inside leverage, Rodgers said, meaning they line up shaded inside the receiver, toward the middle of the field, making it difficult for the receiver to get open on a slant pattern.

Everyone on this forum needs to read this. After this article, if I read people bitching about the quick slant on the chat CONSTANTLY I'm going to throw up.
blank
Silentio
14 years ago

Yup, this is the one aspect that truly makes me pull out my hair...all the shots down field. And I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine that if defenses are taking away the slant on them, why there can't be some intermediate route instead of going deep.

"LambeauEast" wrote:

Did you even read the article?

Think about the Vikings, they play a tampa 2 defense that is DESIGNED to take away everything underneath. Favre struggled against it and now Rodgers is struggling against it. We tried to attack the defense in both games by throwing to receivers in the seams between defenders downfield. McCarthy called the game he needed to call. Unfortunately our Oline sucks so much nothing else mattered. This is a little microcosm of what has been going on in the rest of our gams this season.
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago

"LambeauEast" wrote:

Yeah, pump fake or something. Draw the defender up and throw it over his head. Or run some screens. LOL. Well, we can do that now with Green. How about some draws, or traps? I mean on plays other than third and 40.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

"Silentio" wrote:

Everyone on this forum needs to read this. After this article, if I read people bitching about the quick slant on the chat CONSTANTLY I'm going to throw up.

According to the article, no one's brought up the fact that they've been going deep.
Anyway, like the previous poster said, it's one thing to pump fake and hit for an 8 yard gain. It's another thing entirely to drop 7 steps, hold the ball for 8 seconds and throw deep down the field.
Run some F'n picks for F's sake. Screens. Traps. Misdirection.
johnny_blood
14 years ago

"Silentio" wrote:

Hmm, so it only took the NFC North 18 years to realize that these passes are our bread and butter?

Not buying it. Defenses have been trying to play up on those routes since 1993. Teams committed to the WCO short passing game make it work without doubling the number of deep balls. If they are cheating on the slant you can still exploit that in the short game, it does not force you to doule the number of bombs.

Yes the Tampa 2 poses problems but we used to call short games against it. Favre has had at least 2 TDs in his last 11 games at the metrodome, so I don't buy that the MN tampa 2 stymies our short game. Up until this year we were still calling quick slants on them. (a certain sweet image of jennings catching the record setting TD should be our template)

We need the short game to control the sacks. We need it to substitute for runs. We need it to exploit the horrible tackling in this league---hit a guy in stride and give him a chance. Yes you have to respond to the D, but you don't forsake the short game to this degree IMO.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (3h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (3h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (3h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (4h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (15h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

40m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.