Stevetarded
14 years ago

1) what happened on his draft day. He did get slighted. And don't let any words fool you, he was pissed and disappointed that day.

"dhazer" wrote:

I geuss thats why Brady is always playing so good, Imagine how pissed he must be that he didnt get drafted till the 6th round 😛

I think if roles were reversed the players would be Rodgers struggling and probably often injured and Smith would be healthy and playing well after learning from the bench. But thats just my opinion, we all know i look at Rodgers as a football player and not some great super hero. Just like the game yesterday he was throwing alot of his passes into the ground and happened to get lucky on blown coverages for big plays to driver and a slant pass that Jennings ran for most of the yards.

You have no sensible information to go off of though. Anyone being objective can see that Rodgers is simply a better QB than Smith.

It is fairly obvious you still see Rodgers as a football player who replaced your great superhero or you wouldn't overreact about the way people talk about him here. (As in how nobody on this site has ever called Rodgers "God" or "A great superhero" yet you insist on pointing out how everyone does)
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
David - No, check the stats I posted in that other post. Those are straight up facts.

I don't idol worship Aaron. I showed stats to prove my point.

And yes, Brady (and Donald Driver) started their careers with a chip on their shoulder. Good thing for them as we can see how it benefited them. Nobody even knew who Tom Brady was.

I really want to like Smith, especially since I'm living in San Francisco right now. But the excuses for his failures just keep coming. I've heard them all. 5 different OCs in 5 years, shoulder injuries, whatever. You still have to produce. Smith has yet to do that. Aaron's producing big numbers with the worst OL in football. Put Smith behind this OL and he'd be out of the NFL by now.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dhazer
14 years ago
Hell I think Zero could've passed for 300 yards yesterday against the Lions lol. The 2 bombs to Driver he was wide open. May seem strange but i think our defense won the game yesterday. Actually the defense tied them with points scored but set up more points and got screwed on the short field. Monday will be the true test for Mr Rodgers and his neighborhood, will the Packer fans go crazy again and call for heads if they lose or just blame the o-line or MM?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Hell I think Zero could've passed for 300 yards yesterday against the Lions lol. The 2 bombs to Driver he was wide open. May seem strange but i think our defense won the game yesterday. Actually the defense tied them with points scored but set up more points and got screwed on the short field. Monday will be the true test for Mr Rodgers and his neighborhood, will the Packer fans go crazy again and call for heads if they lose or just blame the o-line or Mike McCarthy?

"dhazer" wrote:

He threw the ball 65 yards. The Safety covering him claims he didn't think Rodgers could throw it that far. The "shorter" bomb though you have to admit was a pretty nice pass.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago

David - No, check the stats I posted in that other post. Those are straight up facts.

I don't idol worship Aaron. I showed stats to prove my point.

And yes, Brady (and Donald Driver) started their careers with a chip on their shoulder. Good thing for them as we can see how it benefited them. Nobody even knew who Tom Brady was.

I really want to like Smith, especially since I'm living in San Francisco right now. But the excuses for his failures just keep coming. I've heard them all. 5 different OCs in 5 years, shoulder injuries, whatever. You still have to produce. Smith has yet to do that. Aaron's producing big numbers with the worst OL in football. Put Smith behind this OL and he'd be out of the NFL by now.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

How did you show me facts? as was stated there is no facts to prove anything because Rodgers wasn't thrown into the staring spot on a very bad team and having to learn a new offense every year, and Smith never got to sit and learn and take over a team that was in the NFC Championship game.

Its all opinions but like i said i doubt very highly that even Brady or Manning would have survived thru that.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

How did you show me facts? as was stated there is no facts to prove anything because Rodgers wasn't thrown into the staring spot on a very bad team and having to learn a new offense every year, and Smith never got to sit and learn and take over a team that was in the NFC Championship game.

Its all opinions but like i said i doubt very highly that even Brady or Manning would have survived thru that.

"dhazer" wrote:

Heh. I was reading two threads at once and ended up smearing these two threads together.

OK, no, you can't prove one way or another how Smith would have done if he was drafted by the Packers.

What I meant about facts had to do with the other thread. I showed how it's very arguable that in 2009, Rodgers is the #5 QB in the NFL.

Now back to Smith vs Rodgers - let's postpone this argument for a few more years. Crabtree may prove he's worth being paid fat coin and if so, Smith may turn out to be a pretty dang good QB in '10, especially if Gore is healthy and Vernon Davis continues to be Vernon Davis.

However, he's still no Aaron Rodgers.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago

Mike McCarthy the "quarterback guru" had Alex Smith for one year..
and Alex threw more interceptions than touchdowns...

I don't know if that's more on McCarthy or on Smith...

"dhazer" wrote:

First off i just want to say welcome back Rodgers dad been awhile. But i think Rock hit it right on. If Rodgers was drafted by the 9ers he would probably be close to out of football by now. No Qb could have went there and started right away and won. They had noone running or catching the ball and to top it off they kept changing their offensive scheme. Hell i don't think Manning or Brady could of gone there and won.
I'm still stumped on this thing about Mike McCarthy being a qb guru, who the hell has he made into such a great qb? I heard the likes of Brooks and Gannon but c'mon people Gannon was in the year for how many years already and Brooks had one good year, plus if he was so great what happened this year with our qbs?

Now for Smith what do you think he could have been by sitting on the bench for 3 years behind a hall of famer and learning the same system every year?

Rodgers Dad i seen you say Smith got his yards against a soft defense well then i guess Rodgers got alot of his stats the same way last year then right?

Im glad Rodgers is playing ok but i don't understand this great qb talk. Stats wise yes but then again go by yards and then Schaub is an elite qb. Wins and Ben is 2nd to none. So i say let him play his game and just go along for the ride that you have been on since Rodgers was born which is understandable. So when you talk to your son tell him to stay healthy and keep winning

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

This, well part of this... Brought up a question in my mind...

Please answer it in the NFL Talk section of Packer Fourm.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Mike McCarthy the "quarterback guru" had Alex Smith for one year..
and Alex threw more interceptions than touchdowns...

I don't know if that's more on McCarthy or on Smith...

"dhazer" wrote:

First off i just want to say welcome back Rodgers dad been awhile. But i think Rock hit it right on. If Rodgers was drafted by the 9ers he would probably be close to out of football by now. No Qb could have went there and started right away and won. They had noone running or catching the ball and to top it off they kept changing their offensive scheme. Hell i don't think Manning or Brady could of gone there and won.
I'm still stumped on this thing about Mike McCarthy being a qb guru, who the hell has he made into such a great qb? I heard the likes of Brooks and Gannon but c'mon people Gannon was in the year for how many years already and Brooks had one good year, plus if he was so great what happened this year with our qbs?

Now for Smith what do you think he could have been by sitting on the bench for 3 years behind a hall of famer and learning the same system every year?

Rodgers Dad i seen you say Smith got his yards against a soft defense well then i guess Rodgers got alot of his stats the same way last year then right?

Im glad Rodgers is playing ok but i don't understand this great qb talk. Stats wise yes but then again go by yards and then Schaub is an elite qb. Wins and Ben is 2nd to none. So i say let him play his game and just go along for the ride that you have been on since Rodgers was born which is understandable. So when you talk to your son tell him to stay healthy and keep winning

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

Ok, let me get some things straigth.

I didn't say he'd be out of football, I just think that he'd been around Smith's level by now, but the potential would've been too high to just give up on him.

That said, I think that Rodgers has benefited more from McCarthy than Favre. Of course, sitting behind a HoF QB helps you a little, but how much can you really learn from a QB who doesn't follow the conventional rules himself?

I mean, I like to believe that he worked with him on using his eyes and what not, but I think that McCarthy had a bigger part in this than anyone else.

About McCarthy not grooming any QBs, I think you're right. He hasn't produced a lot of amazing QBs. Thing is, though, they where all of worse without McCarthy. There's just so much you can do and he got everything he could out of them. Just look at Aaron Brooks. Like you said, he did some good things with Mike and pretty much went straigth out of the league.

I think that he is the one responsible for Rodgers' amazing progression from college into the NFL. He was pretty efficient and good, already, but McCarthy got him ready for the NFL. What other reason do you want to give for Rodgers coming out in his first start, looking as good Carson Palmer?....

Would he have been able to do this if he had some time with Alex Smith? I doubt it. He would've been good, maybe, but not Rodgers good. The 49ers should've never traded away Rattay that season. Just should've started him.

Then again, I can't really blame them, it worked out pretty well for Peyton Manning.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Rodgers has it.
Smith doesn't.

No reason to make more out of it than is really there.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
There is always some true test Rodgers has had to face. First it was Favre and then Dallas and now Baltimore. There is no more true test. Rodgers is a quality QB.

Is he great?

Not yet and beating Baltimore won't make him great. He'll be great once he wins in the postseason and then a Super Bowl win would propel him even furthur, but this idea that there is a test he has to pass every week just to please people who aren't over Favre yet is ridiculous. He'll never pass that test. Nobody would. That has more to do with the fan than it does Favre and Rodgers unforunately.

The arguement that Smith is better than Rodgers or would've been had the roles been reversed is like saying Ryan Leaf would of been great in Indy had he went to a more stable organization. An organization ran by Bill Polian who gave Peyton a lot of quality players. The fact is, that's ridiculous.

Smith was in a tough spot in San Francisco, but I'm not sure he does anything worth mentioning in Green Bay. Is he willing to sit for three years? Does he handle the drama well? There is no objectiveness when the implication is Smith is or was on the same level as Rodgers. Looking back, he wasn't. Just like, looking back, Jamarcus Russel's ability to throw the ball 80 yards overshadowed a lot more problems.

Rodgers was a quality prospect coming out but the knock on him was he wasn't a good enough athlete and his arm strength was questionable. Both knocks on him were greatly exaggerated and I think are now wrong. He has a good arm and there is no doubt about it. He doesn't have the strongest arm ever, but he can sling it and he proved that on the throw to Driver. That was basically almost 70 yards in the air. That's hard for anyone to do, pass rush or no pass rush and open or not open. He also is pretty quick for a QB. He runs well and has for some time now.

If those were the deciding factors between taking the two, then San Francisco got it wrong because they underestimated Rodgers.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.