Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Dan Kohn column: Point - Green Bay Packers should keep throwing the long ball but stop making penalties and giving up sacks 

The simple answer is to go strictly back to the basics and ditch the long ball. But in this case, that simple answer is WRONG.

This Packers team isn't built like the Mike Holmgren teams of the 1990s. It is not a true "West Coast" team and should not rely on the short passing game.

Sure, Green Bay should still throw the occasional slant or screen pass. But the Packers aren't built like they were a decade ago. Instead, they have a solid receiving corps that can get open down the field for the big play.

The Packers average 366.2 yards per game on offense and have a quarterback in Aaron Rodgers who has a 101.8 passer rating. The two big blemishes Green Bay has is it leads the NFL in penalties with 74 for 609 yards, and its offensive line has given up a league-worst 41 sacks.

Clean up the offensive line play and penalties and this team would lead the league in big plays. And more than likely be in the thick of the NFC North race.

Wide receiver James Jones averages more than 20 yards per catch, and he's not even the No. 1 receiver.

Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley and Jones all have made catches of more than 60 yards and Rodgers has already passed for 17 touchdowns, and we're just over the midway point of the season.

It's true the Packers used the short game against Dallas, but they really didn't move the ball any more effectively than they had been. In fact, for much of the first half, it was ineffective. It was the defense that came to Green Bay's rescue and won that game.

So to abandon the bomb for the short game is to handcuff a very potent offense. It's hard enough winning a weekly battle in the NFL with two good hands. Don't tie one behind your back and expect to win.

If the Packers are smart, they stick with the offensive scheme they have, throw deep often, but clean up the offensive line and penalties. This team has talent. But if it keeps making mistake, after mistake, Green Bay might as well go the Winged-T or Veer, because it just won't matter.

Dan Kohn: 920-993-1000, ext. 1305, or dkohn@postcrescent.com

UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Sounds good, if we want to finish the season with Flynn at QB.
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago

Sounds good, if we want to finish the season with Flynn at QB.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

LOL.
We've got some great WRs. But so did Joe Montana. Our guys will still get long TDs even in a WCO system. But they'll get them with YAC, which is ostensibly their specialty anyway.
We need a stud HB that can catch the ball out of the backfield and run screens. Bjack did adequately this past week, but he's just too awkward on those plays.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Gravedigga
14 years ago
Yea yea, just throw it long every play. That will work. Greg Jennings had a 64 yard catch(the completion was only about 15 yards through the air). The second longest reception vs the 49ers was 20 yards by our TE Finley. That doesnt seem like a team that chucks it 40 yards down field every play. I dont know how they allow dumb writers to write this crap. He said nothing everyone on this forum didnt know 6 or 7 weeks ago about the team. In Madden, abandoning the short game and throwing it deep may work. In the NFL, the defense gets paid too and you have to mix it up.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
porky88
14 years ago
The whole premise of the article is to clean up the offense line and penalties so the Packers can throw deep.

Easier said than done.

The Packers don't have the offensive line to do that. They don't have the players up front that New Orleans has for example. They're also among the most penalized teams in football the last few years or just under Mike McCarthy.

A lot of wishful thinking IMO.

The short passing game looked good this past Sunday. As stated, Jennings took a middle yardage pass and made it a big play. Rodgers also threw for 344 yards. Short stuff including screens, slants, and comebacks along with running the football will setup the deep ball in the end.
Gravedigga
14 years ago
yea, he's a little late to the party. Everyone already knew the o-line needed fixing 2 or 3 years ago.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
dfosterf
14 years ago
That article is beyond hilarious.

We are built to throw a touchdown bomb on every play.

Except the part about pass protection.

Fix that, and we can score about a hundred points a game.
Gravedigga
14 years ago

That article is beyond hilarious.

We are built to throw a touchdown bomb on every play.

Except the part about pass protection.

Fix that, and we can score about a hundred points a game.

"dfosterf" wrote:

He's like a little girl asking why they keep running into the piles. Why dont they just throw it long every time. Then when i try and explain to her the importance of running the ball to set up the playaction she gets dis-interested and leaves.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
musccy
14 years ago
For reasons previously stated, this may have been the dumbest article I've read this year! Whoever wrote this is apparently the offspring of captain obvious and cletus the slack jawwed yokel
Pack93z
14 years ago
Offensive balance is more so the key than long or short balls.. if you keep a defense off balance and keep adjusting to what 'looks' they are giving you.. you can find success in this league with the talent we have on offense.

Hence why a blue chipper like Finley is so dangerous in the offense.. he creates match up havoc on a defense and opens up so much more of the playbook.. thus creating even better offensive balance and spacing.

Our line protection is key.. if we can get a consistent performance like we got on Sunday... especially the interior with the two veteran tackles on the outside.. this offense is good enough to cause the opposition some whoopers of a headache..

Protect, balance, wear the oppositions asses down.. we seen what we are capable in the first half...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (8h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (14h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (16h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (16h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (18h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (18h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (18h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (19h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (19h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.