earthquake
14 years ago
I was up in GB visiting family for thanksgiving here, got a chance to see the stadium for the first time since the renovation. Gotta say it is really impressive, i managed to take some panoramic photos of the Atrium that i think turned out pretty well, hope you guys like!

These are taken with a standard point+shoot camera(Canon SD1100), shooting many different shots in continuous mode and then stitched back together using microsoft ICE, with a little post done in photoshop. you may be able to find some stitching seams if you look hard enough.

UserPostedImage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/atrium01.jpg 

UserPostedImage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/atrium02.jpg 

UserPostedImage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/atrium03.jpg 

UserPostedImage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/atrium04.jpg 
blank
djcubez
14 years ago
Those are beautiful earthquake. I love panoramic photos, my dad used to take a lot of 360 degree photos. What else have you shot?
musccy
14 years ago
Thanks...haven't been there for 2 months...and actually only get up there once/2 years if I'm lucky since I'm in VA. Thanks, brings back some nice memories!
gbguy20
14 years ago
i love it in there :]

curly's pub is excellent
Rockmolder
14 years ago
That is one great stadium. Great pictures.
dfosterf
14 years ago
1. Those are some awesome photographs. Very impressive. +1.

2. Thank you for mentioning Microsoft "ICE". I was unaware of that software until you mentioned it.

3. Your timing is absolutely perfect. My mother-in-law has requested that I go over to her house and install the software that came with her newly acquired camera, along with what I think she should use, along with a tutorial in how to use it. (She is BIG on photo sharing, but that is it--Her sole purpose for having a computer is to get photos from relatives, now she can send as well)

I have promised to do so, just as soon as I learn the "ins and outs" of a camera I have headed my way from egghead. (Exact same brand and series--Olympus--"FE" I just have a little more "whoopinsocket" --both "pointer/shooter" type cameras) I presently use paint.net and photobucket, but am not only going to download MS Ice, would appreciate any other suggestions in the software arena.

As an assist, if you read this, would it be possible for you to post the originals of those photographs? I think it would be neat for her to see the "before" and "after", and it being here would make it easy for me to do so...perhaps as an edit to the original post so as to not hijack (sorry--but this is of GREAT interest to me at this point in time) the thread.
earthquake
14 years ago

Those are beautiful earthquake. I love panoramic photos, my dad used to take a lot of 360 degree photos. What else have you shot?

"djcubez" wrote:

Oh pretty much anything i can find that is big enough/i have enough of a view to take them! I'll try to find a couple more i've taken recently and post them.

1. Those are some awesome photographs. Very impressive. +1.

2. Thank you for mentioning Microsoft "ICE". I was unaware of that software until you mentioned it.

3. Your timing is absolutely perfect. My mother-in-law has requested that I go over to her house and install the software that came with her newly acquired camera, along with what I think she should use, along with a tutorial in how to use it. (She is BIG on photo sharing, but that is it--Her sole purpose for having a computer is to get photos from relatives, now she can send as well)

I have promised to do so, just as soon as I learn the "ins and outs" of a camera I have headed my way from egghead. (Exact same brand and series--Olympus--"FE" I just have a little more "whoopinsocket" --both "pointer/shooter" type cameras) I presently use paint.net and photobucket, but am not only going to download MS Ice, would appreciate any other suggestions in the software arena.

As an assist, if you read this, would it be possible for you to post the originals of those photographs? I think it would be neat for her to see the "before" and "after", and it being here would make it easy for me to do so...perhaps as an edit to the original post so as to not hijack (sorry--but this is of GREAT interest to me at this point in time) the thread.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Sure i will write up a quick run down of the process for you sometime today.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
First off, the software that is use, why i use it and some alternatives.

http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html  ) which is also free and does a good job, it actually seems to do slightly better blending between images(you may get some hard transitions with ICE that you will need to paint out/clone stamp out) BUT, ICE gives you some great interactive tools, you can change the projection/distortion types, and some tools to give you a bit of control over how and where the image distorts. It is also multi-threaded, which means that on my quad core CPU i can render out the highest resolution composites in about the same time Autostitch takes to render a 25% image.

http://www.gimp.org/  ) are free, quality tools that should be able to do most of the same stuff i do to photos in photoshop. Paint shop pro is also a good tool that can be had for about $30 on ebay if you buy a slightly older copy, my fiance and her father use paint shop for all of their scanning/photo work with the ebay business they run together, and i've used it in the past and would recommend it as a great photoshop alternative on a budget.

Now, onto the actual guts of the process.

First off, a few things to consider when taking the photos
1. For panoramas, a tripod can be very useful to get a steady shot and keep the camera even the entire time. I often just wing it and shoot without one however, but if i took a little more time and used my tripod i think i could get a bit better quality.

2. I like to use the continuous mode on my camera, the important thing here is when i do that, the exposures will stay the same for each image in the series as i take them. If you take them one by one, the exposure will tend to vary, the stitching program should be able to account for this, but you may get some strange results in doing so(some areas being a littler brighter or darker etc).

3. If you have a good manual mode on the camera i would use it. Experiment with things like turning off flash, adjusting the exposure levels manually so that the brightest parts of photos aren't over blown, and using the "infinite" focus mode for doing far away panoramas like sunsets and things like that. I actually got my camera because it has really good manual settings for a point&shoot.

4. With the manual mode on my camera, even when i set the exposure manually, my camera still does sort of an "auto" exposure based on how bright/dark the initial source is, so that is something to keep in mind, the manual setting on my camera just seems to tweak the auto setting from -3 to +3 depending on where i set it. After a little experimentation here it should be easier to decide where to set it.

5. You can choose to take these shots either wide or tall, i like to do tall as i feel it gives me more resolution, you just need to take more horizontal shots this way, i like to have really high res source material to work from, in case any of it is out of focus a bit, so you can size and down, sharpen, and hopefully not notice. Depending on your camera and the software you use to stitch, you may have to manually rotate each image so that it is upright.

Ok, so now that we've taken our photos, we should have something that looks like this:
UserPostedImage

This is a shot from Adobe Bridge(comes with photoshop) i like it for keeping track of large groups of images. So here you see all of the different shots, you can see that there is plenty of overlap between image so that it will be easy for the program to stitch it all back together.

Now that we have all of our images, we can open ICE and go file->new and drag-select all of the images in the series. You should see a progress bar here, which may take anywhere from a couple minutes to maybe a half hour or more, depending on how large each image is, how faster your PC is, etc.

UserPostedImage

Here you see it all stitched together for the first time. For this one i don't really need to do much tweaking, so the only things i need to pay attention to are the cropping, and the size it exports at. I'm going to crop in photoshop so i don't need to worry about that here, but its easy to do your crop at this time. The important thing that can be easy to forget, is it usually defaults to 25% or 33% for the scale, but i want the full res 10198x3948 image to play with when i export, so i always have to remember to set it to 100%. Its worth noting that if you don't have a computer with a fast CPU, lots of ram and a good video card, editing very large images is going to be very painful/may crash/freeze your system, I've got a graphics workstation here however so i always want the highest possible resolution.

Now, we don't need to make any adjustments here, but if we did, you can click on the cube icon on the top row, and it will give you all sorts of options to play with.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

You can see by dragging the image around a bit, and changing the projection type we can create various effects. These above shots aren't actually something you would want to do, just an example on how the tools work, i generally just do some minor adjustments when needed, and usually either Cylinder(horizontal) or Sphere(horizontal) are the only projection methods i use. Generally the automatic setting is pretty good.

So now that is all done, all we have to do is export. I generally like to use TIFF as it is uncompressed, but full resolution tiff files can be very large, so you may want to consider JPEG or PNG if that is an issue.

Alright, we've got our panorama stitched and exported, its time to load it up in photoshop/your tool of choice. I've made an animated GIF here that shows the processing i do to most any photo after i get either straight from the camera or a stitch like this.

1. Load image
2. Rotate(if necessary)
3. Select crop region
4. Crop
5. Adjust Curves, you can get similar results with levels, but i prefer the flexibility of the curves tool. There should be similar tools in most apps. What I'm doing here is A. bringing out the darks a little more(as you can see the far left of the histogram there isn't any detail there) B. Adding contrast and brightness by pulling up the 2 right points there.
6. I scale down to resolution i plan on using for the final image, in this case 2500x****
7. I run unsharp mask with a low amount and a high radius to bring out some contrast in the larger forms
8. I run unsharp mask with a higher amount, and a much lower radius to sharpen up the individual pixels(this is closer to a standard sharpen)
9. Final image!

UserPostedImage

You may also need to do some cleanup if there are any noticeable errors for the stitch, either by painting them out or using clone stamping or something. If i don't notice these on first glace i usually don't worry about them.

There you go, if anyone has any questions about any of the steps, why i do something, etc feel free to ask i will try to respond. Its actually a lot more simple than it looks here, i just tried to go as in-depth as i could to explain exactly what i do. Sorry about the huge GIF image, it may take a while to load for some people. 🙂
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
Friggin' AWESOME!

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!

+1 again.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Even though I'm not going to use it, that deserves a +1. Just for the effort you put into it.

Very nice job.

+1.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.