dfosterf
14 years ago
Possibly one of the most important pieces of cyber-paper as regards the Pack.

As a for instance, the "Packers Franchise Preservation Fund" remained unchanged this year at 127.5 million. When folks start talking about who we can or cannot sign, the team...if it needed to and chose to do so, could pull from that fund. I'm not advocating that, but it is an option if needed.

Link 

Profits Down, But Finances In Good Shape

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 06/20/2009

RISING PLAYER COSTS REMAIN A CONCERN

The rough economic times had a noticeable impact on the Green Bay Packers' latest financial report, as profits from the past fiscal year fell considerably over the previous year - from $23 million to $4 million, a drop of more than 80 percent.

But Packers executives credited the ongoing success of the stadium renovation, the overall fan support, and very disciplined business practices with allowing the franchise to weather the economic storm and keep it in solid financial shape.

"The strength of the organization really gives me confidence for the future," President/CEO Mark Murphy said, as the team gave a preview of its latest financial figures over the weekend. "We are fortunate to have the kind of support we do in terms of season ticket sales and corporate sponsors, and that support has really been helpful in allowing us to make it through a difficult time.

"I think we've managed our resources and our finances well, and I'm confident that things will be much better in the future, especially as the economy turns around."

Murphy and treasurer Larry Weyers pointed to three main factors for the $19 million drop in profits - significant investment losses, a softening of Pro Shop sales, and rising player salaries - though they emphasized that the organization's support of football operations has not been constrained. The team also continued its charitable efforts through in-kind and direct financial contributions to charities, foundations and community organizations. This year's charity impact amounted to approximately $4 million.

The first two factors affecting the bottom line are directly related to the economy. Investment losses in the stock market did not allow for additional contributions to the Franchise Preservation Fund, but the fund does remain at the same level as a year ago - $127.5 million.

A decrease in Pro Shop sales also accounted for a significant portion of the $5 million drop in local revenues, from $105.8 million to $100.8 million.

"The previous year was really a record year in terms of our sales in the Pro Shop," Murphy said. "We had two home playoff games. But we dropped off significantly this year, and having a losing season was part of that as well."

Despite that drop in local revenues, the organization's overall revenue rose $6.6 million, from $241.3 million to $247.9 million, which Murphy expects will keep the franchise well into the upper half in the league rankings and therefore contributing to the revenue sharing pool. Last year's $241.3 million figure ranked 10th, and this year's ranking will be known sometime in the fall.

National revenue, comprised mainly of television contracts and other league media and sponsorship deals, rose $11.5 million, from $135.6 million to $147.1 million.

But that rise in national revenue was outpaced once again by the $14 million jump in player salaries - from $124.7 million to $138.7 million - a continuing trend that was the primary reason the league owners opted out of the current collective bargaining agreement with the players' union. That agreement is now set to expire in March 2011 unless a new deal is struck before then.

For the Packers, operating expenses outside of player costs actually fell $6.1 million, as the organization monitored expenses closely during the downturn in the economy.

But the $14 million boost in player salaries still created a $7.9 million rise in overall expenses, and when the increase in national revenues is not able to keep pace with the rise in player salaries, it puts added pressure on all NFL organizations, including the Packers, to boost their local revenues. Those efforts require additional investment and expense, which is what has made the current CBA - calling for the player salary cap to be a percentage of the league's gross revenue - an unsustainable business model in the eyes of the league owners.

"The system doesn't recognize the costs that owners incur to generate that revenue," Murphy said. "The biggest area is debt service that teams incur to build new stadiums and to increase revenue, and that's pretty significant for most teams. The issue is getting recognition for the costs and changing the system so the player costs aren't escalating at such a fast rate."

The Packers' debt service is minimal, but that's not the case for all teams building new stadiums or renovating current ones. Even in the Packers' case, Murphy pointed out that from 2005 through 2008, the Packers generated $82 million in incremental revenue, and $65 million of that went to player salaries.

Combine that with the downturn in the economy and it does create financial pressure on organizations like the Packers already in the top half in revenue rankings, not to mention those further down the list.

"Our profitability the last few years really reflected the success of the renovation of Lambeau Field, and the fact that we've been able to get through this year and still have a profit, though smaller, demonstrates that our conservative nature and establishment of the preservation fund has been rewarded," Weyers said.

"I think it's also a tribute to our fan base and the Packer image. Even when times get tough, we still have fans who are very loyal to us and fans who want to come and see the Packers and spend time at Lambeau Field."

Looking toward the future, the franchise made two notable capital investments in the past year - the rebuilding of Nitschke Field and the purchase of both a new building for the Pro Shop warehouse and new data management software for Pro Shop operations.

The new Nitschke Field will serve as the team's training camp venue beginning this summer, with permanent bleachers and lighting. A portion of the field also will be heated, allowing the team the option of practicing outside in the colder weather late in the season.

The new Pro Shop warehouse will be located nearby on Ashland Avenue and, along with the data management software, will provide for more efficient retail operations, particularly for online sales.

"We focused capital expenditures this year on things that would have a direct impact on our fans, from a service and relationship standpoint, and our football team," said Jason Wied, vice president of administration/general counsel. "We think during a difficult economic year these are very sound investments for the Packers to continue to make. Our fans and our team are always going to be our top priorities."

The organization also looked strongly at the economy's impact on the fans in deciding not to raise ticket prices for the coming season, in a year when it would normally do so.

On the long-term horizon, plans for development within and around Lambeau Field are being discussed with local political and community leaders. More than a year ago, the Packers purchased various parcels of real estate in the stadium vicinity with an eye toward future development. Last year, the franchise also put on hold a planned Atrium expansion, preferring to step back and make sure any new developments fit the bigger picture.

"When you talk about a broader development plan like that, the plan itself can't be dictated by one entity," Wied said. "The Packers are one stakeholder of many in this. We need community input, and we want to make sure we're getting input from all the right people locally. There's no specific timeline in place, but we want to make sure we're having the broadest positive impact possible on the community itself."

Edit:

Those investment losses may have rallied. The losses were "paper" in nature, I think it safe to assume. The fiscal year ended at "low-tide" in the stock market, and as I'm sure many can attest as regards their own investments, a lot of stocks have rebounded nicely. Just throwing it out there for consideration.
gotarace
14 years ago
Declining profits...Not going to raise prices on tickets...Uncapped season....==== No big free agent signings in our near future.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
dfosterf
14 years ago
JSOnline article 

Either use it or lose it
Team sits idle with loads of cap room

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Dec. 4, 2009

Green Bay The Green Bay Packers, flush with $15.868 million of room beneath the National Football League salary cap, won't be able to roll any of it into 2010 because of the anticipated expiration of the cap in March.

In other words, if general manager Ted Thompson doesn't re-sign some players before the end of the season, the Packers can use their remaining cap room for general purposes but cannot use it on player expenses next year.

"He and I are in touch but that's really Ted's call," Packers president Mark Murphy said Friday. "Whatever he wants to do in terms of using it. We're giving him the resources he needs and football needs to be successful. Then he's got to make decisions. That's where it stands."

The Packers presently have 18 players with contracts due to expire after the season. Eight are starters, including five on the No. 1-ranked defense in the NFL.

Yet that increasingly acclaimed defense hasn't had a member receive a long-term contract extension in 2 years. That was linebacker Nick Barnett in April 2007.

"How much cap room do we have?" one player said. "Fifteen million? It's getting to be about that time where they should be talking to some people. I don't know why they're not."

Negotiator Russ Ball, according to Murphy, "has had discussions with a lot of different players."

Safety Nick Collins and defensive end Johnny Jolly, two players in the midst of strong seasons, indicated that their agents haven't been negotiating with the Packers.

"I haven't heard nothing," said Jolly, who is playing for a $535,000 base salary. "He (agent Brian Overstreet) would tell me if anything has been said."

In the last 12 months, only two starters have received major contract extensions: quarterback Aaron Rodgers last November and wide receiver Greg Jennings in June.

"That's it," Collins said. "The two superstars."

On the record, players tend to say such things as "I can't worry about those things" or "That's for the off-season."

If truth were told, players spend an inordinate amount of time discussing money with loved ones and tending to their financial futures.

"I don't think about it at all," one player said facetiously. "I don't think about it at all."

Murphy, an all-pro safety for the Washington Redskins during an eight-year career, understands the morale of a team can be threatened if a front office is viewed by players as tight with a buck.

"We want deals to make sense for us and for the team," said Murphy. "It's not an exact science. Ted is trying to identify the right players and make decisions that are good for the future of the team. Injuries play into it. That's just kind of the reality of it. And performance does, too."

Tampa Bay has the most room cap room at $21.582 million. Cleveland is second at $16.801 million and then comes Green Bay, which almost always has ranked among the leaders in cap space during Thompson's five-year tenure.

In previous years, negotiator Andrew Brandt and Ball would insert dummy incentive clauses in the contracts of late-season acquisitions that enabled the Packers to carry over unused cap space. In 2009, the Packers carried over about $9 million.

Now, however, teams face a "use it or lose it" ultimatum on excess cap room. That's because 2010 will be an uncapped year unless management and players extend the collective bargaining agreement by March.

If, as expected, the cap goes away, players will need at least six years of service to become an unrestricted free agent in March. Players with four and five years of service will become restricted free agents, just as three-year veterans had been in the past.

The Packers have six players in that category, including tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, linebackers Aaron Kampman and Brandon Chillar, nose tackle Ryan Pickett and running back Ahman Green.

The eight unfortunate players who would have been unrestricted in the past but now fall into the four- and five-year category of restricted free agents are guards Jason Spitz and Daryn Colledge, safeties Atari Bigby and Collins, fullback John Kuhn, cornerback Will Blackmon, safety Derrick Martin and Jolly.

In an uncapped year, teams can spend as much or as little as they choose. But the unrestricted player pool will be watered down, probably reducing spending, and some teams will look to cut back, anyway, in preparation for a projected lockout in 2011.

"We're really in uncharted territory in a lot of ways," said Murphy. "Not just the Packers. As a league."

Murphy was asked if the unused $15 million in cap room would revert into the team's general funds.

"Our whole focus is what's going to be the best for the team. Football," he replied. "That's really what we talk to Ted about. But it's really his call."

Friends of Thompson have said he takes an enormous amount of time anguishing over decisions. Although the GM has no urgency to extend anyone with fewer than six years come 2010, it's likely he has been weighing what to do with players like Clifton and Pickett.

"They ain't signed nobody so I have no idea," Collins said. "It's out of my hands. As long as I got my teammates and got my family, we straight."

The Packers' fiscal year won't end until March 31 and Murphy is hoping for a strong last quarter.

"Overall, considering the state of the economy, I think we've done fairly well," he said. "The Pro Shop is down a little bit (and) some of our atrium businesses."

Anybody figured out what is wrong with this article yet?

Bob McGinn hasn't wrapped his head around the concept of 2010 as an uncapped year.

If we do not "use" the 15 mil, we have lost nothing. Zero. Squadoosh. Zero-jack-shit.

He is thinking like we have a cap next year. Who cares if we don't have a carryover? There is nothing to carryover TO.

No money is reverting anywhere. The cap figures are not real money, and they never were. COMPONENTS of the cap figures were real money, but that is not the same.

Example: One of the components of our salary cap last year was a 1.6 million dollars pro-rata signing bonus to Brett Favre. How mush did we actually pay Brett, both in real dollars and as an expense item on our bottom line...???

Nothing. That 1.6 mil is part of the 15 mil signing bonus (real money + carryover pro-ration from the previous contract) received by Brett and paid out AND EXPENSED by the team in 2001. In 2001, the "cap hit" for that signing bonus was 4 mil---not 15 mil--- The rest was pro-rated through 2008--

This article only serves to confuse people, and no wonder, because the author is confused.

Look at the part about money going into general funds. The author is implying that the money (what money?) would no longer be available for player compensation in 2010.

What the fuck is he talking about? The Green Bay Packers can take money from the shitter / pisser valet tip jar in the skybox crappers and use it for player compensation if they want to next year.

ALL HE HAD TO SAY IS-- The Pack has 15. whatever mil. remaining cap room for THIS year under the CURRENT CAP RULES, which means that they could still sign / extend/ whatever players under the auspices of those same rules. They have the LUXURY of doing so, if they OPT to do so.
All cap RESTRICTIONS in spending are eliminated once the salary cap is lifted. THAT is the reality, not some nonsense about money reverting away from player compensation to the general fund.
British
14 years ago
I can't believe that supposedly a leading NFL writing has got it so completely wrong.

I can't see a 'comments' section, but if there is one you should show him where he's going wrong.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

I can't believe that supposedly a leading NFL writing has got it so completely wrong.

I can't see a 'comments' section, but if there is one you should show him where he's going wrong.

"British" wrote:

This could be what I (and others) call an "access" article.

He is trying to "bump" the GBP into signing players.

GBP player: "Tell 'em Bob! I wants my money. That Bob is ALL RIGHT in MY book, I'm gonna talk with THAT man...He's takin' care of the PEOPLE."

The players read the JS. The FO reads the JS. (Except MM, lol--he don't read the papers--he says, lol--I believe him, lol)

btw-- Anybody notice the disparity between the 94 mil in player's salaries vs. the 138.7 mil in player expenses, as reported in the financials.

I know that both are accurate, at least according to the "rules" of what gets reported in the sense that GBP at 94 mil vs Oakland and Dallas at or around 150mil

In the case of the Pack-- (and the others) Deferred payments, workmen's compensation and pension contriburtions would be added as a matter of course, the question being do they throw the administrative (everything from staff salaries to paper clips) in there also...

...And players on IR--- How is Justin these days? Working out with the team?

He gets 17 paychecks too, ya know... With his (again, yes he got one, much smaller, but he got one) roster bonus of 186, 625., plus his 460k base, he rolls into Lambeau and picks up his weekly check of 38,036.76--or they mail it to him, hopefully--- If he's hanging around the facilities he gets another $120.00 per day for that too--(Hey laugh--that's two seats in the stands, on average) Not hard to figure out how it can get to that 138mil figure...

Gross revenue 247mil Net profit 4 mil

I have been reading excerpts from a (somewhat technical) online book about sports franchises, expenses, profits, stadium deals, etc.

Moody's thinks that a typical NFL franchise should realize 27% net profit annualized...the monopoly aspect of it, etc.

We were at 1.619%

There are a million reasons why this is not alarming, but don't think for a moment that Mark Murphy and co. aren't fully aware of it.

When you see me bitching about people bitching about "tightwad Ted", or "lack of free agent aquisitions", or me bitching about us sharing revenue with the likes of the Minnesota Vikings--while their payroll skyrockets...

Think in these terms...cutting through all the bullshit and accounting machinations.

Bottom line. 53 guys 139 million dollars. And climbing. 4 million dollars in the green. They are not going into the red. Bank on that.

That is 2.62 million a player. We gave 4 million to charity, or 1.52 football players. Remember that 2.62 If we overpay for a rookie (Raji--I love him, but we overpaid by about 1 or 2 players for him, thanks in part to Crabdouche)

Pro shop sales are down again, we have been told. Investment income is up--my guess--- our capitol improvements to the practice facility and the Pro shop OPS center added squat to the revenue stream.

We have TONS of options for generating revenue, but most of them are unpalatable to the fans. One example- we could garner a shit-load of money for naming rights to Lambeau. The frozen hallowed grounds of the "Oscar Meyer Metroplex?, lol)

Lucky for all you season ticketholders that Dfoster and Wade don't run that show. I would jack the prices up so friggin' bad you'd cry, he'd only jack 'em up high enough for you to bitch a lot. lol

Apple--- NFL football player reading the JSOnline article demanding his money, while packing a wonderlic score hovering around 10

Orange---NFL team owner reading in Moody's (and living it come loan time for that fancy schmancy new stadium, come "get a loan time") that he SHOULD be realizing an annual net of 27%, but cannot, due to the revenue sharing with both the players and his fellow team owners

Grapefruit-- GBP the only team that has to release public info. The rest operate incognito, and you can BET there was at least some mention in the past few years that it would NOT break any hearts to see that team publish some shitty numbers for the upcoming negotiations,,,just sayin'...

Oh, that 138.7 will rise to right around 154 mil at the current "capped" rate for 2009, assuming nothing changes...99.999% chance it is much higher. Anybody seeing a magical revenue stream that I do not?

Oh, there is one "magical" stream of revenue available. Remember the thread where Jerry Jones said it is RIDICULOUS for a team like the Pack to be paying into a fund that a team like the Vikings SUCKS OUT OF?

The vikings fans said dfoster is an asshole. Most of my fellow Packer fans said Jerry Jones is an asshole. Both true, I admit, lol

But ponder this, at least for a moment...

Wiki 2009 NFL season 

In addition, owner Jerry Jones, whose legendary Dallas Cowboys team is the wealthiest franchise in the NFL, has hinted that he may push for the elimination or severe reduction of revenue sharing for the uncapped season.[23]

We are in the top 10 in gross revenue. That equates to heavy contributor to the revenue sharing scheme. Eliminate the sharing, reduction in need for new revenue streams. Those on a high-horse about not jacking ticket prices at least should consider reducing their criticism of Jerry, imo.

Now, go back to that JSOnline article and the 15mil in cap room.

Anybody see 15mil layin' around loose?

Me either.
British
14 years ago
foster, I put a summary of your comments to Bob in an email and to his credit, and somewhat surprisingly, he emaled me straight back.

Not sure I understand his reply but maybe you can provide some analysis.

If the money had been used in 2009, portions of bonuses could have been amortized over length of contract. That is lost by waiting and waiting.

True, GB can spend as much as it wants next year. NFL powers will pressure teams to do nothing of the sort.

Much to help football could have been done with that money in 2009. It was not used.

Thanks...bob

UserPostedImage
istanbulpacker
14 years ago
I don't know if this should be a separate topic but it is mentioned obliquely here:

Pro Shop sales are down.

A possible suggestion/solution: Initiate a regular use of a third jersey. A throwback jersey. Am I the only one who likes the look of the Blue and Gold Acme Packers? Currently, the only throwback jerseys available are the $200+ Mitchell and Ness replicas. Of those, only one is the Blue and Gold (a certain #4, not too popular these days). The others are old school Pack jerseys like Starr, Nitschke, Hornung, etc.

Why not wear the thowbacks on select Home games. Other NFL teams like the Lions and Cowboys do it often. It is quite common for major European Soccer teams to have a home, away, and "third" kit. This drives fans to want to buy one of each. They also change designs frequently so fans will wear the "latest fashion."

I don't advocate anything as radical as that, but would anyone else like to see the Blue and Gold come back? How about a late 80s look with the multiple stripes on the sleeves. If they can make replica game jerseys for $80, why not the same for the throwbacks?
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I liked the yellow shoulders throwbacks they wore in the Hurricane Game.

I was always peeved they didn't do an "official jersey" of it, just a cheesy replica.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
14 years ago

foster, I put a summary of your comments to Bob in an email and to his credit, and somewhat surprisingly, he emaled me straight back.

If the money had been used in 2009, portions of bonuses could have been amortized over length of contract. That is lost by waiting and waiting.

True, GB can spend as much as it wants next year. NFL powers will pressure teams to do nothing of the sort.

Much to help football could have been done with that money in 2009. It was not used.

Thanks...bob

"British" wrote:

What difference does it make as regards bonuses and amortizing between this (a capped year) and next (an uncapped year). The only difference would come into play if next year was a capped year as well. In THAT case, not acting in 2009 WOULD make a difference, and you could call that 15mil in cap room "lost. " He is making a CAP argument when there will be NO cap.

He still doesn't get it, and he is backstroking. Notice how NOW he is saying (privately) that GB can spend as much as they want next year...What happened to his "diversion to general fund" argument from the article?

I think what he is TRYING to say is that part of the money would have been paid out in 2009 (and out of the 2009 budget) by signing them this year, thereby reducing the impact on next year. Fair enough. But if they haven't spent the money, and that means they have it, what difference does it make? There is one, obviously, but that wasn't his argument. The difference is that salaries would be more next year than if we negotiated the contract this year. Here is the rub with that argument, though...They MIGHT not be, witness his own comment about keeping salaries down next year.

As an aside, he is speaking as if the 15 mil under is a fait accompli. We are still under the auspices of a cap, and that $$$ - in whole or in part, could yet be used..which is the most likely scenario.
British
14 years ago

Thanks...bob

"dfosterf" wrote:

"British" wrote:

What difference does it make as regards bonuses and amortizing between this (a capped year) and next (an uncapped year). The only difference would come into play if next year was a capped year as well. In THAT case, not acting in 2009 WOULD make a difference, and you could call that 15mil in cap room "lost. " He is making a CAP argument when there will be NO cap.

He still doesn't get it, and he is backstroking. Notice how NOW he is saying (privately) that GB can spend as much as they want next year...What happened to his "diversion to general fund" argument from the article?

I think what he is TRYING to say is that part of the money would have been paid out in 2009 (and out of the 2009 budget) by signing them this year, thereby reducing the impact on next year. Fair enough. But if they haven't spent the money, and that means they have it, what difference does it make? There is one, obviously, but that wasn't his argument. The difference is that salaries would be more next year than if we negotiated the contract this year. Here is the rub with that argument, though...They MIGHT not be, witness his own comment about keeping salaries down next year.

As an aside, he is speaking as if the 15 mil under is a fait accompli. We are still under the auspices of a cap, and that $$$ - in whole or in part, could yet be used..which is the most likely scenario.

Agreed.

McGinn is supposed to be a top writer but I'm not impressed with either he (or Bedard).

Too many errors,
UserPostedImage