Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Singletary wants form tackling from 49ers 

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 5, 2009 2:42 PM ET

Mike Singletary was a great tackler during his Hall of Fame career as a Chicago Bears linebacker.

Now that he's the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, he's not pleased that his own players don't tackle the way he did.

Singletary thinks some of his players focus so much on making a big hit that they don't bother to wrap the ball carrier up and take him to the ground. Singletary wishes his guys would get back to basic form tackling.

"We have some guys, they don't just want to tackle, they want to blow people up," Singletary said. "We've got to do a better job breaking down and just making the tackle."

Singletary said Dashon Goldson, a third-year player who has started all 11 games at free safety this season, tries too hard to drill opposing receivers. As a result, Goldson sometimes misses tackles he should make.

And in comments that are likely to frustrate Singletary, Goldson acknowledged that was true, but said he didn't think it was a big deal.

"It's all about attitude," Goldson said. "It's not really a concern. We just know we've missed a few. We make a lot, too. We make a lot more than we miss, so that's always good."

For Singletary, that's not good enough. He wants his players to make them all.

Thank goodness someone has the courage to say what needs to be said.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Singletary Calls For Better Tackling From 49ers 

Posted: 10:23 am PST December 5, 2009

SANTA CLARA -- Tackling is the theme of the week for Mike Singletary.

In August, Singletary began his first training camp as 49ers head coach with intense tackling drills. His players were in full pads from the start, hitting each other in nearly every practice.

By the time camp broke, they were beat. And by midseason, some were feeling beat up.

Now, improved tackling is what Singletary is calling for from San Francisco's defense heading into a key NFC West game at Seattle on Sunday. But the 49ers are no longer practicing it, having quit wearing pads about two weeks ago after some players made the suggestion to Singletary.

It's not as if the tackling has been poor the Niners' rushing defense ranks fifth in the NFL. Yet Singletary, a defensive-minded guy to the core considering he's a Hall of Fame linebacker, is always looking for more from this talented veteran unit.

"We have some guys, they don't just want to tackle, they want to blow people up," Singletary said. "We've got to do a better job breaking down and just making the tackle."

Singletary named safety Dashon Goldson as one of those players who always wants the big hit. Goldson didn't deny it, saying "I take my shots."

But he said the defensive players need to be smart about doing so, taking proper angles and picking their opportunities wisely. Goldson is in his first season starting at free safety for the 49ers (5-6) and is second on the team with 73 tackles. He also has two interceptions, one sack and a forced fumble.

"It's all about attitude," Goldson said of the art of tackling. "It's not really a concern. We just know we've missed a few. We make a lot, too. We make a lot more than we miss, so that's always good."

Linebacker Patrick Willis has a team-leading 107 tackles, including a hit on Matt Hasselbeck in Week 2 that knocked the Seahawks' quarterback out of the game with broken ribs and a back injury. He still hasn't completely healed even though he only missed the next two games.

"It's a focus every week. If you want to be a great defense, tackling is the No. 1 thing you have to do," Willis said. "For whatever reason, we're men and we know that in order to have a good defense and to play good defense, you have to tackle. That's something we have to take upon ourselves. We can't work on it during the week and kill each other and tackle each other, but we can work on it by how we go to the ball, good feet, just small things we can do to help us during the season."

Seattle coach Jim Mora knows the challenges of trying to improve tackling at this stage of the season. It doesn't make sense to practice it, he said.

"You can't, because you risk injuring a player who's very valuable to you," Mora said. "This time of the year some players are beat up and need some recovery time. A lot of tackling is just the will to do it as well. You hope you have the right guys."

San Francisco has a relentless bunch that prides itself on getting after the quarterback. In Sunday's 20-3 win over the Jaguars, linebackers Manny Lawson and Parys Haralson each had a second-half sack on Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard that led to a lost fumble.

The 49ers' 25 sacks so far are only five shy of their total from last season, when their 30 sacks ranked 16th in the NFL. Yet the players know it's not always about making the big play, but often times just getting the routine stop when it matters.

"Since it's this late in the season we're not really going to be doing much practicing hitting, because bodies are sore," cornerback Dre' Bly said. "Just try to focus on wrapping up as much as we can. We're going to be playing some tough backs. We have to do a better job of tackling. Tackling is key, especially late in the season when you're playing cold games. When it's cold outside, teams enjoy running the football a lot."

Maybe they can't practice tackling as much as they'd like to, but a lot of players don't tackle at all. They simply launch themselves like a torpedo at opposing players' legs and hope to disrupt their momentum. I have to think if true wrapping up and tackling were insisted upon by coaches, there would be fewer, not more, injuries.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
its always surprised me how poor players tackle in the NFL
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago
Charles Woodson knows how to tackle. He's fun to watch when he is around the line of scrimmage.
Formo
14 years ago
Non and Zero both said what I was thinking.

Nonstop ESPECIALLY said what I was thinking.. The league wonders why there's so many injuries? Uhhh.. WATCH how your players 'tackle'!!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago
Tackling in these days would have been considered bumping in those days. Some players think their momentum can knock a dude down. Uh, wrong.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

Tackling in these days would have been considered bumping in those days. Some players think their momentum can knock a dude down. Uh, wrong.

"The_Green_Ninja" wrote:

When I played in high school, we called that 'bar-tagging'. That's how we practiced mostly. Unless it was first team offense versus first team defense in a scrimmage. Then it would be 'full speed' wrap up and take down tackling.

NFL players bar tag. And get away with it.

I would have been chewed up, with spit in my grill.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

[url=http://www.ktvu.com/sports/21875332/detail.html][size=18]

Singletary named safety Dashon Goldson as one of those players who always wants the big hit. Goldson didn't deny it, saying "I take my shots."

But he said the defensive players need to be smart about doing so, taking proper angles and picking their opportunities wisely. Goldson is in his first season starting at free safety for the 49ers (5-6) and is second on the team with 73 tackles. He also has two interceptions, one sack and a forced fumble.

"It's all about attitude," Goldson said of the art of tackling. "It's not really a concern. We just know we've missed a few. We make a lot, too. We make a lot more than we miss, so that's always good."

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Well, there's one guy we don't have to worry about going after if he ever becomes a free agent.

Pinhead.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

19h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.