WhiskeySam
14 years ago

Packers play Arizona in the second half of the season. It'll be pretty comfortable weather in AZ at that time, plus, the roof will probably be closed.

The time of year is irrelevant. The actual game time temperature of an outside stadium is what matters.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Doesn't the time of year generally determine the temperature outdoors?

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

Like it has been said numerous times in this thread; why do it by the time of year, when you have statistics for games that are done in cold and freezing? Time of year stats miss the games that are played in warm areas, plus dome games.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This whole discussion started around the comment that Favre falls off at the end of the year as if this was unique to Favre. My point was that most QBs tend to fall off in the 2nd half of the season, and the ones who don't tend to be warm weather or dome QBs. The numbers bear that out. I absolutely want to include the late season dome/warm games because the whole point of the discussion was about late season collapses. That's why I'm looking at late season statistics.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

This whole discussion started around the comment that Favre falls off at the end of the year as if this was unique to Favre. My point was that most QBs tend to fall off in the 2nd half of the season, and the ones who don't tend to be warm weather or dome QBs. The numbers bear that out. I absolutely want to include the late season dome/warm games because the whole point of the discussion was about late season collapses. That's why I'm looking at late season statistics.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

Ahh, so you're saying LATE SEASON collapses, NOT INCLUDING the weather. I gotcha now.

Now take this from someone who analyzes QB play and is a huge Favre fan. The cold weather, and wear and tear is what caused Favre to decline in the later games of the season.

Favre said as much himself. So, you can dismiss my observations all you want, but he himself also acknowledged it.

Here's why I said Favre going to the Vikings made sense. He doesn't have to face the cold nearly as much. He doesn't have to carry the team. He'll be fresher down the stretch.

Those are reasons why I have said, repeatedly, Favre will not collapse this year. He's not playing in cold and he's not being asked to shoulder the team in and out every week. Some blind folks will say Favre has carried them, which is not true. If you take Adrian out of the mix and the top five ranked defense, then Favre has loads of pressure to carry the team.

Dinking and dunking all day while theres eight in the box to stop the run and you have a lead cuz your defense is stout... is not carrying a team.

Favre will not collapse this year.
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

Packers play Arizona in the second half of the season. It'll be pretty comfortable weather in AZ at that time, plus, the roof will probably be closed.

The time of year is irrelevant. The actual game time temperature of an outside stadium is what matters.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Doesn't the time of year generally determine the temperature outdoors?

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

You don't have a roof over your house, do you?

Either you're really stupid, or you're playing ignorant with perfection while adding a touch of motivation of being a prick. Or I'm just missing the point all together. (I'm putting my money on the latter)

I'll try to make this simple (so at least I can follow along).

When you play in a warm climate city, ie Tempe, San Fransisco, Miami, etc ... the temperature is going to be fairly comfortable or hot, regardless of the time of year.

When you play a team in a dome, the temperature is 70 degrees no matter what day of the year it is. Interesting isn't it?

Therefore when comparing Favre's games that he's played in the cold (meaning not under a roof with a controlled climate), with other QB's who played in the month of December, that's really irresponsible in regards to the accuracy of your research.

It's a fact that Favre has tailed off performance wise in colder games at the end of seasons. Have other QB's? I don't know, I never cared enough to look it up.

If one were to look it up, they'd have to find the game time temperature's of each game of each QB and set a barometer, ie 30 degrees or less to collect data for the comparison.

To say that games in December = colder games, that's quite idiotic when you fail to incorporate dome teams and warm weather cities into the mix.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I have never said every bad performance by Favre was due to cold weather games. What I have been trying to show is that since Favre played the majority of his home games in an outdoor cold-weather stadium, we should expect his numbers to go down every year in general. We see this with QBs who play for outdoor teams in general. We can also see that warm weather teams or dome teams don't have the same drop in QB play, with some even improving in general.

Why would I want all cold weather games? Some cold weather games happen before the second half of the year (Ten-NE this year, for example). We're specifically talking about late season drops in performance. Those <40 stats do not filter out early season performance. You can't ignore some late season data, and you certainly can't include early season data, to have a discussion about late season collapses. If we want to discuss cold weather performance, let's have a separate thread for that.

The comment is being tossed out there that Favre has horrible drop-offs, as if this is unique to him. I'm still waiting for someone to provide some data showing that other QBs do not also drop as the season progresses. The first question that everyone keeps dancing around is whether Favre is unique in dropping off. I've provided data that shows most top QBs drop in the 2nd half. The question then becomes is Favre's drop so far beyond the norm as to make it notable? The only data we have for all QBs so far is stats showing the first half/second half split. We don't have data yet that shows all of those QBs' last 5 games of the season for the last 4 seasons like we do Favre.

So why do QB performances fall in the second half in general? The data would suggest it has to do with where they are playing the majority of their games since warm/dome QBs do not suffer the same drop as others. There are other factors like teams being able to view film of them from the current year as the season progresses. Age and the effects of playing a full season (injuries, fatigue) are also a factor. However, we have no way to quantify the effect of tape being available, and in the data provided so far, there is no obvious correlation between age and performance. In general we would expect older players to fall off more, however, some of the largest drops have been younger players. What we do see is QBs whose home stadium is outdoors in cold climates tend to fall off more than dome/warm QBs at the end of the season in general.

All of that said, Favre has a rebuilt shoulder that is not giving him problems any more. He is playing more games in a dome late in a season than any time in the last five years. In fact, he's only played in one dome game in the last five weeks of a season since Dec 1 2005. He is on a good team with balance on both sides of the ball. All of these should be taken into consideration before arbitrarily tossing out Farve is going to drop off the face of the earth. His numbers will fall probably fall off, as most QBs' do, but he's going to be playing for the home team in a dome 2 of those 4. He will most likely have a home playoff game. Those factors are favorable to him finishing the year better than the previous four.
Nemo me impune lacessit
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

Ahh, so you're saying LATE SEASON collapses, NOT INCLUDING the weather. I gotcha now.

Now take this from someone who analyzes QB play and is a huge Favre fan. The cold weather, and wear and tear is what caused Favre to decline in the later games of the season.

Favre said as much himself. So, you can dismiss my observations all you want, but he himself also acknowledged it.

Here's why I said Favre going to the Vikings made sense. He doesn't have to face the cold nearly as much. He doesn't have to carry the team. He'll be fresher down the stretch.

Those are reasons why I have said, repeatedly, Favre will not collapse this year. He's not playing in cold and he's not being asked to shoulder the team in and out every week. Some blind folks will say Favre has carried them, which is not true. If you take Adrian out of the mix and the top five ranked defense, then Favre has loads of pressure to carry the team.

Dinking and dunking all day while theres eight in the box to stop the run and you have a lead cuz your defense is stout... is not carrying a team.

Favre will not collapse this year.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Okay, we actually completely agree on this. That is exactly what I believe. I'm saying part of Favre's late season drop-offs are weather related, and every other QB who plays for a cold/outdoor home team shows the same declines. Favre also has shown age in that the cold affects him more, and he was injured and should have been benched last year.
Nemo me impune lacessit
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

Zero I think he realized he is way off base and is just trying to save face now LOL

"longtimefan" wrote:

No, I'm just trying to respond to three people at a time. :shock:
Nemo me impune lacessit
longtimefan
14 years ago

This whole discussion started around the comment that Favre falls off at the end of the year as if this was unique to Favre. My point was that most QBs tend to fall off in the 2nd half of the season, and the ones who don't tend to be warm weather or dome QBs. The numbers bear that out.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

No the whole point was when the weather TURNS

WhiskeySam:08-Dec-2009 10:05:23
I'd bet you'll find most of their numbers go down as the weather turns..

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

And the numbers DONT bear that out...As far as upper tier and big time VET q/b that is all I looked at since would make no sense to look at a q/b with only one or 2 years of cold weather games...And make no sense to look at q/b that can not be considered upper tier ones either

Warner and Brett were only ones that were far worse then everyone else in games under 40..In fact some were BETTER in the cold
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

This whole discussion started around the comment that Favre falls off at the end of the year as if this was unique to Favre. My point was that most QBs tend to fall off in the 2nd half of the season, and the ones who don't tend to be warm weather or dome QBs. The numbers bear that out.

"longtimefan" wrote:

No the whole point was when the weather TURNS

WhiskeySam:08-Dec-2009 10:05:23
I'd bet you'll find most of their numbers go down as the weather turns..

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

And the numbers DONT bear that out...As far as upper tier and big time VET q/b that is all I looked at since would make no sense to look at a q/b with only one or 2 years of cold weather games...And make no sense to look at q/b that can not be considered upper tier ones either

Warner and Brett were only ones that were far worse then everyone else in games under 40..In fact some were BETTER in the cold

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

Last time; try to keep up. When does the weather turn? At the end of the year. You can't pull all stats for <40 temp games because not all of those are at the end of the year. You clearly don't read more than two lines of my posts without running off at the mouth and completely ignoring what I said. Thank you for again taking one snippet of what I said out of context, misrepresenting it, and arguing against a straw man argument that I wasn't making. I've tried to be nice, but frankly, I can't take you seriously when you couldn't even read the home/away column on a schedule correctly. Keep arguing with yourself, though.
Nemo me impune lacessit
longtimefan
14 years ago
lol got ya,

My point was the weather cuz YOU said duhhhhhh the WEATHER

Try to keep up SPARKY!!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
I hope Favre plays like crap.
Why?
Cause he's the QB of the Vikings.
Thats all I need to know.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
I hope Favre plays like crap.
Why?
Cause he's the QB of the Vikings.
Thats all I need to know.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

15h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.