14 years ago
He's from New York/New Jersey. That's pretty much all that needs to be said. This is like a GBPG writer saying Rodgers should be in the MVP hunt.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

As for Aikman, he was right up there with all of those great contemporaries mentioned by zombie. He was an integral part of those Cowboys teams of the 90s. What I liked best about him was that he was always calm under pressure. Nothing fazed him. Packer fans tend to hate Aikman because he played for the Cowboys and he killed us almost every time. It's the same reason why many Packer fans hate Brian Urlacher and think he's overrated.

Aikman's stats were not huge because he played for a run-oriented team. But when he needed to throw, he could throw with the best of them.

"Greg C." wrote:

Greg - See what PackFanWithTwins said. Aikman wasn't great. He was good. Good does not qualify for Hall of Fame, but I guess his popularity and being in the right place at the right time got him in there.

Really easy to throw the ball when you have the best OL in the NFL, and possibly in the history of the NFL, plus you're facing 8 men in the box thinking it's going to go to Emmitt Smith.

Now, as much as I hate the Cows, I do not underrate Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. Irvin was a reckless a-hole, but on the field he was both clutch and dangerous. Smith had a nose for the end zone and the only reason he's not considered better is because he's always compared with the best pure runner the NFL has ever seen - Barry Sanders.

Bad timing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

As for Aikman, he was right up there with all of those great contemporaries mentioned by zombie. He was an integral part of those Cowboys teams of the 90s. What I liked best about him was that he was always calm under pressure. Nothing fazed him. Packer fans tend to hate Aikman because he played for the Cowboys and he killed us almost every time. It's the same reason why many Packer fans hate Brian Urlacher and think he's overrated.

Aikman's stats were not huge because he played for a run-oriented team. But when he needed to throw, he could throw with the best of them.

"Greg C." wrote:

I liked Aikman, but I just don't think he was a 'great' QB. I think he was good. As you said, he never seemed to be flustered or caught up. Always came off calm, collected and ready to lead.

I'm a Packers fan, I liked Aikman, Jason Garret is the one I dislike solely because he torched us on Thanksgiving! lol
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
I was surprised by how bad Aikman's TD-INT ratio was. So I took a closer look at the stats. His interception rate was actually not bad: 3.0%, which compares favorably to Favre's 3.5% and Elway's 3.1%. The "problem" is that Aikman threw fewer TD's than the others. But that's because Emmit Smith was a TD machine, so the Cowboys did not need to throw into the end zone as often as most teams. Also, the Cowboys were not a West Coast Offense team. Their whole system was more run-oriented.

In my own memory, Aikman was even more accurate than the numbers suggest because he was so good in the three years that the Cowboys won the Super Bowl. His numbers suffered at the beginning and end of his career, when he played for bad teams. Favre only played one year with a truly awful team (2005) and I don't think that ever happened to Elway.

I think Aikman was the perfect QB for those Cowboys teams. I would not make the assumption that all of those QB's that Zombie mentioned would've won three Super Bowls if they played for the Cowboys, and so what if they would have? That's a pretty darn good list. Randall Cunningham does not belong on it, and Phil Simms is borderline. The others are all Hall of Famers.

As for the QB's listed as "might haves," I would agree with Boomer and maybe Testaverde but it's hard for me to believe that Zombie is serious when he throws Rodney Peete and Scott Mitchell on there. If you include those guys you can include dozens of other guys. Maybe that was the point, but I don't buy it.

I also think it's possible that a Favre or Elway--Favre in particular--may not have fit in with that Cowboys team as well as Aikman and may have won fewer than three Super Bowls. There's no way to know, of course. It's beyond hypothetical.

The main reason I put Aikman below Montana, Favre, Young, and Elway is that he lacked mobility. I really think that in terms of intelligence, arm strength, and accuracy, he was right up there with those guys, however. Overall, I would put Aikman in with Kelly and Moon. His numbers are less impressive than theirs, though, because they played in wide-open offenses and Aikman played in a conservative offense.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (11h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (12h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (15h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (15h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.