Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Coaches take opposite tactics as Packers rout Cardinals, eye playoff matchup

By Bob Baum (CP) 6 hours ago

GLENDALE, Ariz. Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt took a cautious approach, Green Bay's Mike McCarthy kept the Packers at full bore most of the day.

The result was a 33-7 Green Bay rout of the NFC champion Cardinals in their regular season finale on Sunday.

Next Sunday, the teams will meet again on the same field in the first round of the playoffs. The outcome will determine which coach took the right approach.

"We wanted to come out here to win the game, keep our razor sharp and gain some momentum going into the playoffs," McCarthy said. "It didn't matter who we were playing. I understand Arizona had a different agenda. ... We like the way we played the last eight weeks and it was very important for us to maximize this opportunity."

McCarthy knew he was taking a risk that one of his key players might get hurt.

Aaron Rodgers played three quarters, mostly against Arizona reserves, completing 21-of-26 passes for 235 yards and a touchdown.

Charles Woodson, who later left with a shoulder injury McCarthy said wasn't serious, returned an interception 45 yards for another score as the Packers (11-5) won for the seventh time in eight games. It was the most one-sided home loss for Arizona in Whisenhunt's three seasons with the Cardinals, and many of the Packers didn't think it was meaningless.

"They've got a lot to think about," Green Bay defensive end Johnny Jolly said.

Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, however, said the game "kind of really didn't mean anything."

"I guess if they want to celebrate it they can go ahead," Dockett said. "But us personally, we know we've got some work to do and our main focus is next weekend."

Arizona (10-6) sat quarterback Kurt Warner after one quarter. Backup Matt Leinart completed 13-of-21 passes for 96 yards and was intercepted twice. Most of Arizona's first-team defence played only one possession. The Cardinals lost standout cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to a bruised left kneecap on the third play of the game.

Whisenhunt said he had two game plans ready. The one he would use was determined by the outcome of the Minnesota-New York Giants game. When the Vikings won, ending any chance for Arizona to get a No. 2 seed, Whisenhunt opted for the bland option.

"I can't speak to what they were doing," Whisenhunt said of the Packers. "I know we had a plan going in about what we were going to do if the situation was the way it ended up being. It was very difficult to stick to that plan. All I can say is hopefully it will pay off for us next week."
Whisenhunt thought his team let down before the game even started after seeing the Vikings win in a rout.

Rodgers noted the Cardinals never blitzed after the starters left, giving little evidence in this game what they might use in the next.
"We'll look at the film obviously and critique it," Rodgers said, "but the body of work we'll focus on is really the last four or five games they played before this one."

Woodson left the game with a jammed shoulder late in the first half. McCarthy said he expects his star defender to be ready for the playoff opener.

"Just when he was walking off the field he told me right then 'I'll be fine,"' McCarthy said. "So I wasn't concerned after that."

In addition to Rodgers-Cromartie, Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin (right ankle) and defensive tackle Calais Campbell (thumb) also were injured.

Rodgers-Cromartie, selected to the Pro Bowl in this his second NFL season, was carted off after his knee came down on the cleat of Green Bay tight end Jermichael Finley less than two minutes into the game.
The loss of the player teammates call "DRC" would be devastating against Rodgers.

"It's feeling a whole lot better than when it first happened," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "It's just real sore." Still, he insisted he would play next weekend.

On the possession before he left, Woodson picked off Leinart's errant pass and raced down the left sideline, diving in for the touchdown to make it 26-0 with 4 1/2 minutes left in the half. It was his third interception return for a TD this season, a franchise record. He also broke the Packers' record with his eighth career defensive touchdown since joining the team in 2006 - seven interceptions and one fumble return. He had shared the mark with Herb Adderly (1961-69) and Darren Sharper (1997-2004). Woodson set a career best with his ninth pick of the season. He has 45 in his career.
Arizona barely avoided its first shutout loss since the second week of the 2003 season.

Ralph Brown intercepted Matt Flynn's pass and returned it 80 yards to the Packers eight. After a penalty, Brian St. Pierre threw his first NFL touchdown pass on the next play, a three-yarder to Larry Fitzgerald, with 2:59 to play.

Copyright 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

I got my wish. I wanted the Packers to play aggressively for most, if not all, of the game, and they did. Though I've been critical of our head coach most of the season, I'm so proud of Mike McCarthy right now. I couldn't have asked for a better end to our season. Except maybe to have given Rodgers the passing record.
[youtube]7BAEqdABND8[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

KENT SOMERS

Kent Somers' blog appears on azcentral.com. Kent covers the Arizona Cardinals for The Arizona Republic.

Sunday night thoughts 

I don't think the way the Cardinals played Sunday afternoon should cause anyone additional concern that they won't beat the Packers in the playoffs.

The key word there is additional because I think there should have already been plenty of concern. The Packers are 7-1 over the second half of the season and seem to have put it all together on both sides of the ball. I don't get the feeling the Cardinals are on a similar path, but then, I didn't think that last year.

An early scouting report: The Cardinals need to avoid early turnovers and make a big play on offense in the first quarter.

-- Coach Ken Whisenhunt might be second-guessed for playing Sunday's game like it was an exhibition. But, Packers coach Mike McCarthy took a big risk by having quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the game in the third quarter. I asked Whisenhunt why the Cardinals didn't sell out to hit Rodgers:

"They had their plan," Whisenhunt said after a brief laugh. "We tried not to do a lot of things we thought would be good and hopefully that will work out for us next week." I'm pretty sure that didn't answer the question.

-- OLB Bertrand Berry was inactive because the Cardinals needed enough linebackers to play on special teams. I think they also wanted to get a look at rookies Will Davis and Reggie Walker.

-- The Cardinals considered making Kurt Warner the emergency quarterback and starting Matt Leinart. "I decided I wanted to give him (Warner) a couple of reps," Whisenhunt said.

He intended all along to play St. Pierre in the fourth quarter. St. Pierre had an interception but also threw the first touchdown pass of his seven-year NFL career.

-- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie's left kneecap had a couple of small, round puncture marks in it after the game. Somehow, his knee ended up implanted on someone's cleat. That's what caused the bruised kneecap. DRC was limping in the locker room. Impossible to say if he'll be able to play against the Packers. Well, I guess it's possible. I might just be wrong.

-- Breaking it down: Cornerback Ralph Brown on his interception: "Every time they went empty on tape, I knew they all ran slants and the outside guy, he runs kind of a 5-yard underneath route. I played inside runner cover-3, a shell, and they ran the slants. As soon as the quarterback looked outside, I came off my man and jumped outside and intercepted the ball."

Got that? When you ask Ralph Brown to break a play down, he breaks it down.

-- It was interesting that Larry Fitzgerald played deep into the second half. Whisenhunt said they tried to take Fitzgerald out. Fitzgerald said no one tried to take him out. My best guess is that Fitz really wanted to hit 100-reception mark for the season. He fell three short.

Am I the only one who notices that Whisenhunt doesn't sound too confident after this shellacking?
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
A lot of the Cardinals fans have this smartarse grin on thinking they're somehow going to outsmart the Packers because they didn't show anything in this game.

If Wisenhunt doesn't seem confident, neither does McCarthy. Sure, he was strong in his conviction to play aggressively (I'm sure a lot of fans would be happy about that after some pedestrian gameplanning early in the season) but McCarthy has just as much said stuff on how he's just following his gut feeling and just trying to keep this team's momentum given that they're young and inexperienced in the playoffs.

I think McCarthy played way too much of his hand and now requires the Packers to simply execute the obvious plays better. But on the other hand, you have at least 5 weeks of footage on the team, so you're not going to see many new kinks this game that you wouldn't see over the 16 games. I really don't know to what extent gameplanning factors into a game, but I certainly know execution does. So thats all I ask of the Packers. They've told the Cardinals to come get some. We'll see whether the Packers will hold strong against a Cardinals team that's now awake. I think, with this big win, our team is strong enough to close out another game against the Cardinals.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Funny you should say that. Here's another article on that very topic:

Three Points: Nothing like preseason in January 

By Vince Marotta

The biggest topic of discussion in the NFL right now isnt about whos going to the playoffs, and whos going home. It isnt about Brett Favre or Drew Brees or Peyton Manning.

Its about teams who have clinched postseason spots, and how they attack their remaining games. On Sunday we saw several playoff-bound teams, New Orleans, Indianapolis, New England and yes, the Arizona Cardinals rest a good portion of their normal lineups and basically treat week 17 like a preseason game.

The problem on Sunday for the Cardinals, was that their opponent, the Green Bay Packers, didntat least until the game was in hand. Aaron Rodgers threw for 235 yards and a touchdown, and ran for another, while the Packers defense forced three Cardinal turnovers in a 33-7 cakewalk at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

For the Cardinals, Kurt Warner played one quarter, completing 4 of 6 passes for 31 yards before picking up a baseball cap and watching Matt Leinart and Brian St. Pierre play the rest of the game. Most of the Cardinals defense looked as though they took the day off as well (even when they were out there).

With the Minnesota Vikings starting the day by absolutely crushing the New York Giants, we knew going in to Sundays game that the Cardinals would be going at half-speed at most. But still, its hard to watch a team get beaten by 26 points against the team theyll be playing again in the playoffs in a week, and feel good about it.

Making matters worse, NBC Football Night in America analyst Tony Dungy says the Cardinals are at an advantage by not showing their hand while Green Bay played to winand were all aware of Dungys track record in this area. But if youre not, please refer back to playoff game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Indianapolis Colts on January 15, 2006.

Normally after a game, Ill share six things that stood out for me. But since the Cardinals only gave half effort on Sunday (and Im giving them the benefit of the doubt here), Im only giving half effort as well.

Its time to find Warners replacement. The Arizona Cardinals chances to repeat as NFC Champions rest squarely on the shoulders of one Kurt Warner. But he is not the quarterback of the future for this team. Warner inked a 2-year deal before this season, meaning hell be 39 when the contract expires after the 2010 season. Can anyone see the Cards re-signing a 40-year old quarterback before the 2011 season? Probably not. Which brings me to my next point.

And after years of defending Matt Leinart, Im done. The Arizona Cardinals need to draft their quarterback of the future in April or find him through a trade or free agency. I hate to be blunt, but Leinart isnt any good. The fourth year quarterback completed 13 of 21 passes for 96 yards and 2 interceptions. In fact, two of his first five throws were picked off, one of those was a touchdown by Charles Woodson. Leinart looked more comfortable under center as rookie on a 5-win team in 2006 than he does as a veteran backup on a Super Bowl-contending team in 2009. The Arizona career of Matt Leinart should be done after this postseason. If he catches on somewhere else and becomes the huge star that most predicted he would become, so be it. Its never going to happen in the desert.
And dont say Brian St. Pierre is the answer either. BSP is in his 7th year as a pro, and completed his first pass in the NFL on Sunday.

Cheesehead confidence - Regardless of what Tony Dungy says, it remains to be seen which team actually has the mental advantage going into next weekends Wild Card round game. But the Packers confidence level about playing at University of Phoenix Stadium has to be sky high.
Back in August, the Packers came to town for a preseason tilt with the Cardinals, and the Green Bay starters absolutely dominated the Cardinals first stringers in a 44-37 win. The Packers had a 38-10 lead at the break. And then today, the Packers dominated again, although the game had a lot of the same atmosphere as that game back in August.

Its very rare that any team will play three road games in the same stadium in the course of one NFL season. And if what weve seen so far this year is any indication, the Packers enjoy Glendale. Especially quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who in his two trips to the big spaceship in the desert, has completed 35 of 45 passes for 493 yards and 4 touchdowns. Thats a quarterback rating of 141.94. Rodgers has been pretty successful in 2009, as evidenced by his recent selection to the Pro Bowl, but its pretty obvious he really enjoys Glendale.

It wasnt all reserves making mistakes. Yes, there were reserves all over the field, including guys like Hamzah Abdullah (who led the Cardinals in tackles) and Jason Banks, who had spent the entire season on the practice squad. But there were plenty of concerning mistakes made by veteran starters too. Steve Breastons catch of a punt at his own 1-yard line led to a safety after a holding penalty in the end zone was called on left guard Reggie Wells.

The most valuable quality a punt returner can have is the ability to catch the football. Breaston has had trouble in that area recently. Add that to his mental error on Sunday and the fact that he is averaging under 2 yards per return in his last 4 games, and there should be big reason for concern in that area.

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
Kudos to Mike McCarthy for not playing scared, instead playing to win, thus keeping his teams edge razor sharp.
I don't feel we showed the Cards anything they won't know by watching miles of film.
I believe MM's strategy will give the players a huge boost in confidence going into Sundays game.

I know I feel confident.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Kudos to Mike McCarthy for not playing scared, instead playing to win, thus keeping his teams edge razor sharp.
I don't feel we showed the Cards anything they won't know by watching miles of film.
I believe Mike McCarthy's strategy will give the players a huge boost in confidence going into Sundays game.

I know I feel confident.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Exactly. It's not like they couldn't study us and now, all of a sudden, they have tons of gametape.

One of the things I really liked was that we where kicking their behinds pretty badly in the first quarter, as well. The quarter where they mostly had their starters in. Especially on that explosive offense. Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston wheren't going anywhere. Neither where Wells and Hightower.

The only way the Cards can win this one next week is if we somehow get stuck in a shoot-out. Something I doubt with how our defense has played and can make another team one dimensional.

Then agan, that's what I thought against the Steelers, as well. And that was against Roethlisberger. Warner, you really can't blitz. He'll eat you alive.
IronMan
14 years ago
I think Mike McCarthy played it perfectly. Play the starters until we have a comfortable lead, then get them out of there.
14 years ago
also, let's not forget McCarthy said they have enough "gameplan" to use one card today and another a different day without any overlap. we'll be FINE as long as we play well...and playing with confidence will certainly help our particular team.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

AKampfan78
14 years ago
Great stories, thanks for the info!

Personally, I think that GB and Mike McCarthy made the right choice, although I wouldve pulled Aaron a bit sooner. I think that momentum is as important as anything and we have that right now. We played a very tough game at Pitts and bounced back. As for game planning/showing your hand, someone said it above and I said it yesterday, there is film out there for every game we have played. I agree that it comes down to execution and confidence. If we play like we have been I am confident we can win this game.

GO PACK GO!
In Heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here!
Hawkeye fan 4-Life!
Packers 3-1 in games I have attended (12/28/08 Lions, 9/27/09 Rams, 11/20/11 Buccaneers & 12/19/11 Chiefs)
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
The whole talk about now showing the other team something, why worry about that? I'd rather a team that punches them in the mouth to win, rather than one that has to rely on being sneaky.

I'd rather a Dog for a team, than a Cat.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (6h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (12h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (13h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (16h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (16h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (16h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (17h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (17h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.