Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Updated: January 15, 2010, 2:38 AM ET

Sources: Police, FBI team up in probe 

By Shaun Assael
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

Philadelphia police have enlisted the FBI to help investigate whether the fatal shooting of a convicted drug dealer last July is related to an earlier incident in which the victim claimed that he was shot by former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison, ESPN has learned.

The victim, Dwight Dixon, was killed in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia on July 21, 2009, when a gunman approached the driver's side of his Toyota Camry and fired four times, shot through the back window, and then fired two more times into the passenger side. Video surveillance taken by a camera at a nearby store shows the gunman -- wearing a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and white sneakers -- fleeing with his head lowered and face obscured. Dixon was struck in the chest, stomach and arm.

The location is a few blocks from a car wash owned by Harrison and down the street from his bar called Playmakers.

Moments after the shooting, Dixon told police who rushed to the scene that he believed the incident was related to an April 2008 assault in the same neighborhood, in which his truck was sprayed with gunfire and he suffered a bullet hole in his left hand.

Dixon, 33, lapsed into a coma before he could be interviewed by police. He died on Sept. 4 from the wounds. The Philadelphia Police Department still considers the case open and active.

Harrison, a 13-year NFL veteran, was released at his own request by the Colts at the end of the 2008 season after being asked to take a pay cut. He did not play in 2009.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN's "E:60" before the July 21 shooting, Dixon went into extensive detail about a shooting on April 29, 2008. He said that Harrison shot at him after the two had gotten into an altercation outside of the West Thompson Street car wash called Chuckie's.

"He raises the guns up and started shooting," Dixon said in the interview. "He raised both his hands up and started shooting at 🇲🇾 truck."

When asked how many shots were fired, Dixon said, "Too many to count." He said his truck was so riddled by bullets, "the tires were all shot out, the windows were shot out."

Harrison has denied Dixon's claims, which are also part of a pending civil suit. Although police ballistics tests show that a gun registered to Harrison was used in the incident -- a Belgian-made semiautomatic pistol -- he insisted that he did not have it with him that day.

Through his attorney, Jerome Brown, Harrison declined to comment. As ESPN The Magazine reported last January, a second witness, Robert Nixon, also told police that he saw Harrison fire a gun. Nixon, who was wounded in the back by stray gunfire, filed a civil suit against Harrison last July, claiming that the ex-wide receiver "continued shooting at the other person ... as [he] drove past plaintiff. In doing so, a bullet from defendant's handgun struck plaintiff in the back with great force and violence."

After an investigation, the Philadelphia district attorney's office announced that it was not bringing charges in connection with that incident.

"I'm pretty comfortable I know who fired the gun," District Attorney Lynn Abraham, who has since left the job, said at the time. But she added that she was could not go forward with just the statements of Nixon and Dixon. "With these witnesses, I don't think so," she said.

Dixon's death, however, has put the 2008 case back on the front burner. In September, Philadelphia voters went to the polls and elected a new district attorney, ex-prosecutor Seth Williams. And now, a task force of elite Philadelphia homicide investigators and the FBI is taking a fresh look at the shooting.

"We're looking for a motive of who would want to kill Dixon, so it's common sense to go back to that first shooting," a law enforcement source said. The source said that the FBI is helping to comb through old evidence and seek out new informants, one of whom has already been said to have supplied fresh information.

Shaun Assael is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

YOU HAVE NO IDEA 

Marvin Harrison has always let his hands do the talking. Turns out, they've been saying things no one expected to hear.

by Shaun Assael and Peter Keating (additional reporting by Tim Bella)

[img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/i/mag/2009issues/0126/harrison.jpg[/img_r]As dusk falls in North Philly, armies of hoodies appear on West Thompson Street, their faces framed by shadows. This part of town hasn't been remade by real estate speculators. Vacant lots are strewn with crumbling bricks. A speakeasy runs out of a basement, with dollar drinks and hookers. Sidewalk dice games go on all night.

Dwight Dixon, a 5'11", 280-pound ex-convict with a big mouth, is a magnet for the kind of trouble that keeps so many buildings boarded up around here. On April 29, 2008, he was standing outside a take-out joint on the corner of West Thompson and North 25th streets when it found him again. Two weeks earlier, at a local bar called Playmakers, he'd gotten into a beef with a man he'd known since childhood. Now here that man was, right beside Dixon, wanting to collect an apology. Within seconds, the two were jawing, then trading kicks and punches. "I was getting my ass kicked," Dixon says.

Even after onlookers broke up the brawl, Dixon was hot. He jumped into his Toyota truck and jammed it into reverse, driving the wrong way up West Thompson as he shouted, "You just think you can go 'round doing what you want to people?"

After Dixon stopped his truck in front of Chuckie's Garage to argue further with the man, a shot rang out and a bullet ripped through his hand as it grasped the steering wheel. "Bullets were flying past my head, all over the car," Dixon says. One shattered his rear window. Another went through his jeans, just missing his leg. Others sailed down the street, shattering the windows of a Mercury sedan with a 2-year-old boy and his father inside. A bystander was struck in the back.

Dixon sped away on blown-out tires. In the rearview, he says, he saw the man who he claims shot him, Marvin Harrison, giving chase, running every bit as hard as you'd figure a future Pro Football Hall of Famer could run.

We expect our heroes to let us in, to show us more than their game faces. But over the course of Marvin Harrison's 13 years in the NFL, the Colts receiver has built an All-Pro career behind a firewall of privacy. Quiet precision defines his every move. On the field, he starts each route identically, forcing defenders to guess where he's headed. In the locker room, he sits facing his tidy booth, away from the media and teammates. At home, he keeps each touchdown ball he's ever caught in its own box.

On the rare occasions when Harrison offers a private thought to the public, he quickly clams up. He once told a Philadelphia Inquirer reporter that he loved Anita Bakerthen refused to divulge his favorite song. When asked to comment for this story, he declined, as did the rest of the Colts organization. ("We're going to honor Marvin's wishes," said a spokesman.) And when Harrison made his 1,102nd career catch, on Dec. 28, moving him into second place on the all-time list, the wideout simply trotted to the sideline, ball under his arm. During an ovation from 66,721 fans, he sat alone at one end of the bench. He accepted a hug from head coach Tony Dungy but said nothingthen or after the game. "Marvin has a force field around him," says former Pro Bowl defensive end Marcellus Wiley, who played in the NFL for 10 years. "He's the guy leaning against the wall, not dancing, while everyone else boogies to their favorite song."

Before Super Bowl XLI, reporters asked Peyton Manning about his receiver's reticence. The QB said he didn't know Harrison well until he visited him in Philly one off-season. "There's a Marvin in Philly and a Marvin in Indianapolis," he said. Even around his teammates, the Indy Marvin barely says a word.

To be fair, Harrison owes fans and teammates nothing beyond his best efforts on the field. But the more he leaves blank, the more we fill in. He flashes no bling, no gold teeth. There are no Sharpies and no whining. What products does he endorse? Who is he dating? We have no idea, so we ascribe to him the qualities he shows in games and of those around himthe earnest indefatigability of Manning, the quiet strength of Dungy. For fans, this trio personifies old-school virtues: the Colts as color-blind, hardworking winners.

But that, as it happens, may say more about us than about No. 88.

Harrison was raised at North 24th and West Thompson streets, a block away from where he would brawl with Dixon. He was 2 when he lost his father, who died at 22, reportedly of natural causes. Marvin was 12 when his mother, Linda, moved him and his sister to the middle-class neighborhood of Roxborough, in Northwest Philly. As Marvin watched her work two jobs, he developed the values we'd later prize in him: discipline, reserve, thrift.

Even Manning has said that there are two Harrisons: the Indy version and the man from Philly.

At Roman Catholic High School, where he emerged as a two-sport star (the other was hoops), Harrison wore a tie every day, rarely missed class and studied to boost his grades so he could get into college. He became a huge star at Syracuse but never talked a big game. In fact, he barely talked at all. "We spent a lot of time together," says Cy Ellsworth, an Orange lineman who used to hitch rides to Philly with Harrison. "But I still can't tell you that much about Marvin. There was a side to him he didn't let people invade." On the day of the 1996 NFL draft, Harrison watched as three receivers were chosen ahead of him. "I have to get a job," The Washington Post quoted him as saying over and over that day, before the Colts took him with the 19th pick.

His career in Indy, where he lives alone, has played out better than anyone could have hoped. But Harrison never really left his old neighborhood, treacherous as it is. According to a local watchdog police group, 323 "serious incidents" were reported in the area in 2008. "We bury three or four kids every year," says Angel Colon Jr., program director at the Daniel Boone School, a local disciplinary academy. Talk to the folks around West Thompson Streetthe owner of Lorenzo's take-out, the woman at New Beginnings Day Care, a cop on the beatand they'll say they've seen Harrison within the past few days. Even during the season he spends most Tuesdays back in Philly.

More than nostalgia brings him back. Over the past six years, Harrison has been buying up his childhood stomping grounds. In 2003, he acquired the West Thompson Street garage now called Chuckie's for just $10,210. The next year, he added a bar a few blocks away, on North 28th Street, which he runs as Playmakersthe place where his feud with Dixon began. In all, Harrison owns 20 North Philly properties, many clustered around the block where he once lived. And he is no absentee landlord. Kids on their way to school recently saw Harrison fixing the shutters on one of his places. In contrast to other stars who've invested in urban real estate, though, Harrison hasn't announced grand revitalization plans. The businesses he supportsthe garage, the bar, his mom's Italian restaurant, his aunt's soul food placeare neighborhood joints. And while he's well-known in the area, he isn't known well. The Daniel Boone School invited him to talk to the kids a few years back, but he declined. His name graces no community center or local gym. "I haven't been able to get to him," says Steven Williams, a community-development exec.

Actually, all it takes is a trip to Playmakers on almost any weekend that the NFL isn't in session. Harrison works the door of his own bar, patting down patrons and tossing those who are packing. To most of us, it's an inconceivable tableau: Marvin Harrison, King of West Thompson Street?

For years, though, Harrison has offered clues that he is serious about protecting his turf, and a more complicated man than we see in games. On Jan. 4, 2003, before kickoff of an AFC wild-card game at the Meadowlands, Harrison was catching passes from Manning as Jets ball boys shagged punts from New York's Matt Turk. One of them, a 23-year-old Long Islander named Matt Prior, threw a ball downfield that bounced near Harrison. According to a New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority reportand two people on the fieldNo. 88 felt the toss violated his personal space. He charged Prior, bumping him in the chest.

"You threw the ball at me!" Harrison screamed. "You're a professional! You should do your job better than that!" Everyone on the field froze. Prior asked Harrison to back away. Instead, Harrison grabbed Prior by the throat and lifted him off the ground. While fans watching on the stadium's video screen chanted for their ball boy to fight back, players and workers tried to separate the two. As Harrison argued with security, Prior was taken to a medical station, where marks were found around his neck. "This was a violent incident," says Dan Santos, security manager at the Meadowlands that day. "Coaches tried to downplay it, but we were one step from making an arrest." In the end, though, Prior decided not to press charges; he just wanted an apology he never got. The NJSEA referred the incident to state police, who didn't pursue it.

That wasn't the only time Harrison drew looks from law enforcement. On the evening of Feb. 10, 2005, three nights before the Pro Bowl, he and two men were walking along a row of stores at the Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel in Honolulu. According to a police reportand a witnessHarrison was talking on his cell when a group of teenage fans asked for his autograph. Harrison declined, and when the fans kept pestering him, he and his friends turned on them. The Pro Bowler took a swing at one fan, then grabbed him by the throat and put an arm around his neck. After more scuffling, Harrison and his friends ran off, leaving one of the teenagers beaten. "I was walking about three feet behind these kids," the witness told The Magazine. "Harrison and his friends acted like real punks."

Despite the police report, Honolulu's prosecuting attorney didn't press charges. "We couldn't prove them beyond a reasonable doubt," says deputy prosecutor Renee Sonobe Hong. And once again, hardly anyone took notice.

After news broke of the shooting in Philly, it was easy to believe Harrison when he said he had nothing to do with it. It was hard to imagine No. 88 shooting at a man, even harder than it would have been to imagine him beating up an autograph hound or ball boy. While fans, reporters and New York's mayor pilloried Plaxico Burress for going into a nightclub with an unlicensed gun, Harrison continued to hide in plain sight, saying nothing, letting us view him as we wanted.

Turns out, Harrison also knows his way around guns. After a tipster called cops on April 30 to say "You should be looking at Marvin Harrison for that shooting on West Thompson Street," police matched five shell casings found at the scene with a model of gun registered to Harrison: a Belgian-made semiautomatic pistol that fires bullets that pierce 48 layers of Kevlar. This is military-grade bling, favored by connoisseurs because it is easily concealed.

When police paid a follow-up visit to Chuckie's, they found Harrison sitting in a beach chair near a cardboard cutout of himself in a Colts uniform. They asked if there were any guns on the premises, and to their surprise Harrison lifted the leg of his jeans to reveal a registered .22-caliber handgun strapped to his ankle. Soon after, a man whom Harrison called his stepfather handed over the Belgian pistol, fully loaded.

That night, Harrison drove to the police station to answer more questions. He seemed relaxed, nonchalant. Over the course of two hours he admitted to the fistfight with Dixon but insisted that the gun he'd turned in hadn't been in Philly the day of the shooting but at his suburban home, a half hour away. He said he hadn't fired it since buying it two years earlier and told the cops the same thing he told the Colts: He had nothing to do with the shooting on West Thompson Street.

The father of the 2-year-old in the shot-up Mercury sedan wouldn't talk about the incident. Dixon wasn't much of a witness either. Cops charged him with lying to the police after he gave bogus accounts of what happened. He had good cause to keep police in the dark: He was on parole for a drug conviction. Only after police told him further ballistics tests proved that five bullets fired that night exactly matched Harrison's gun did Dixon settle on one version. According to a police source, he told detectives the story that put the gun in Harrison's hand. (Dixon later sued Harrison for $100,000 in damages.)

But Robert Nixon, the bystander shot in his back that day (the bullet remains in his shoulder), apparently had no issue with talking to the cops. According to a police source, Nixon told detectives that he saw Harrison with a gun in his hand during the fight with Dixon. And while other elements of his story occasionally varied, police believed his account enough to place him in protective custody for two weeks after he came forward.

Still, on Jan. 6, Philadelphia district attorney Lynne Abraham announced that her office won't be bringing charges against Harrison at this time. "I'm pretty comfortable I know who fired the gun," Abraham said, but later explained, "I have to prove a case. With these witnesses, I don't think so."

In the end, the seeming contradiction between Harrison's statements about his gun and ballistics tests placing the gun at the scene were not enough for Abraham to move forward. So Harrison can sit back in his beach chair on West Thompson Street and keep watch on his block.

Meanwhile, around the Philly courthouse, the case still has buzz. "What do you think about the Harrison case?" a clerk recently asked a cop in the case. The officer did not hesitate to answer.

"Looks like Marvin caught another pass."

UserPostedImage
gotarace
14 years ago
Excellent read non stop...sure appears that Harrison thinks he is the king of his little piece of philly. With that Hot Headed Temper it is only a matter of time before his luck runs out.

This story bring me back to the Ray Lewis shooting...alot of unanswered questions and a crime swept under the rug because of their fame.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I read a story like this and I am ambivalent.

On the one hand I want to go off and rant about spoiled athletes.

On the other hand, I see a very complex guy with some demons. Not a hero, but also not an anti-hero. A guy who has problems without simple solutions, but problems that need solving nonetheless.

I know this makes me sound like one of those goody-goody types, but I can identify with the Marvin Harrisons and the Plaxico Burresses of the NFL. I've never come particularly close to their particular abyss -- my demons are a different sort. Plus I haven't held a gun for over twenty years, so its unlikely that that particular sort of mess will occur with me. But there have been times where I've come close to jumping into my own abyss. And having come too close for comfort, I know that there are dangers out there lurking.

Yet knowing isn't enough. Because, to be frank, you don't just say "I know the dangers and how to avoid them" and live happily after. The demons don't die. Their creativity in offering roads to the abyss is pretty good.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this. It's just that I think we look at professional athletes through strange glasses sometimes. Because they make their living in a very public way, we assume that they all desire one of the "rich and famous" lifestyles -- that they want to be public figures on and off the football field, that they want to do public things in the rest of their life. That they want to be celebrities or publicly recognized for their philanthropy or go into politics or be coaches or do interview or all the other stuff that we see athletes as doing. That they want big salaries because it gets them bling or girls or notoriety or public influence.

We forget that they get those big salaries for one reason and one reason only. And the reason isn't that they necessarily have different goals and objectives than ordinary guys. The reason is that they simply have a set of skills and talents that ordinary guys don't. They're in that tiny fraction of one percent of young males who can do certain things on a football field.

Sure, for some of them (Brett Favre, perhaps, e.g.), football defines them, not just to us but to themselves. But for many others, football is just what they do well. It isn't how they define themselves.

And it certainly isn't what determines the shape of their personal demons, their core psychological strengths and weaknesses. In that, they're like the rest of us. Individuals with individual desires and individual problems.

I wonder sometimes, maybe that is part of the reason Jesus tells us not to judge others. We can judge actions as bad or good, but we ought not to judge the person committing them. Because, in the end, we don't really know the particular demons that person is dealing with. And we can't.

I know I can't. Heck, I'm not even particularly good at knowing my own -- and I live with me every day.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (12h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (13h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (15h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (15h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (16h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.