DakotaT
14 years ago
Christ Formo, going old testament on his ass.

Make a stand and stick to your convictions. Tough to do, especially on a sensitive issue. If San Francisco was leveled today by an earthquake would that be God's wrath like Sodom and Gomorrah (sp), or just the ring of fire acting up. Tough call.

I like the fact that we are in the age of science explaining things, but one should not lose sight of the religious beliefs taught him. The one thing I am pretty sure of is that we live in days of evil men, lusting for wealth and creature comforts. Much easier to find an evil man than a righteous one, and those evil men would include the likes of men of the cloth.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Man is evil. Of course.

That's why we have woman. To balance the evil with beauty. :)

Well, that and to have someone non-Scottish to put miniskirts on.

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Gravedigga
14 years ago

I know I'm gonna get blasted for saying this.. but at this juncture, I could give two squirts of piss.

I give Pat Robertson kudos. Who else would say something like that? Especially knowing how much uproar it would cause? Whether it's true or not, I don't know.. and frankly I don't effing care. Keep in mind what Pat said AFTER making a bold statement.. you know.. the part where he said we should all pray for Haiti and such?

What bothers me most is the hate that is spewed in the comments of those videos on YouTube and such. People actually wishing DEATH and such on him. Class acts!

"Formo" wrote:

Because he's an idiot? "Whether it's true or not" ??? Are you kidding me. Of course it's not true. Only an old senile insensitive idiot would think something like that and only a dirty piece of shit would say it knowing the type of audience he has and effect he has on the simple minded out there.

A quarter of a million people are dead or dying and the death toll will rise because of disease. Only 2000 people died in the world trade center. What if someone said something about it being in the name of religion and America deserved it. The outrage and reaction would be so great that person would have to go in hiding for the rest of his life. Someone in his position cant just say something like that with no repercussions.

What bothers me isn't the hate spewed on a youtube video, it's the 1/4 million people who are dead and the millions who are starving, thirsty and homeless. Taking this opportunity to blast someone who may or may not have "made a pact with the devil" to get their freedom. Oh yea, they were slaves. Possibly there might have been an element a couple hundred years ago who may have wanted people to believe it was a pact with the devil.....hmm, like maybe the slave owners. Also, even if this myth were true, the actions of a few people do not condemn all. What kind of sense would that make? And why would god wait so long? Kidding me?

"Gravedigga" wrote:

Psssst.

Tragedies happen.. Especially when you bring in Mother Nature. Fact of life.

Some people need to realize that. That wasn't a terrorist act against Haiti. It was a freaking earthquake. Big difference.

"Formo" wrote:

I'm not sure what that has to do with it. The comment by Robertson would be out of line in either case. I'm not sure whether it being mother nature or terrorism would have any bearing to you"giving kudos" to that guy for having the guts to speak out like he did. As if he did something great and should be proud.

Hopefully you're never in a position where you or someone you care about is suffering and you have to see some old man who never met you telling millions of people on t.v. it was your fault because of some 200 year old myth about people you never met.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

Define out of line? People say/do stuff out of line ALL the time. It's only when there's a tragedy and when it's some televangelist/radical religious group when it seems to be out of line.

I give him kudos because he stood up for his beliefs, despite the obvious backfire of hatred that would have been thrown his way. I'd rather have someone stand up and say something outrageous/bold despite popular opinion than have them be Capt. Wishy-Washy.

A pretty influential person said something like, "Be hot, or be cold.. But if you are luke warm I will spit you out."

"Formo" wrote:

Out of line: Having a telethon for hatian people and basically calling them devil worshipers who got what they deserved right after hundreds of thousands have died and millions are hungry, suffering, homeless and hopeless. Thats way the fuck out of line.

He says "The devil said ok it's a deal".

Are you fucking kidding me? Was he there? How the fuck would he know what an imaginary evil being said to a bunch of hatians hundreds of years ago?

"Gravedigga" wrote:

God hates queers, and US soldier's too.

I'm not saying what he said was right or admirable. You fail in understanding this. My point: Have a stance and stick with it. Hot or cold.

Mr. Robertson is one or the other. That's where my kudos comes in.

"Formo" wrote:

Oh my bad. Now I get your point. I thought you meant something completely different.

Let me take this opportunity to give kudos to some people as well.

I give kudos to Hitler. I know 6 million dead jews sounds like a lot but hey, Hitler was doing what he knew in his heart was right. Gotta give much respect for him there.

I give kudos to all suicide bombers. They have a belief and are fighting for a cause.

I give kudos to the hijackers on the planes during 911. Sure, maybe it hurt some people but you know what. They were doing what they believed in and you gotta respect the hell out of them for it. And much respect to Bin Laden. Hey, none of it could have been possible without him.

Thank you for showing me the light Formo
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Let me see if I can articulate what bothers me about this discussion.

I think I understand what you're getting at, Formo: it takes a great deal of courage to stand up for your convictions when you know you are going to get pilloried in the courts of public opinion and in the hearts of your countrymen.

(This, by the way, is why I think your examples of Hitler/suicide bombers/terrorists are inapposite, Gravedigga: unlike Robertson, those people were speaking knowing that a significant fraction of the society that mattered to them supported their position. The same is unlikely to be true of Robertson, because, whatever else one may say about him, he does care about his public reputation in the larger USA population.)

Courage does matter. And courage which is based on one's Christian belief is, for me, particularly so, even when, as here, I think the Christian in profound error as to God's teaching. There's a passage in Romans 14 that I think makes the point well: One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables./The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him./Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master, he stands or falls...(v. 2-4).

Or, to put it another way, as a Christian, I shouldn't have called Pat Robertson, a fellow "man of faith", a pinhead.

However, I can still judge the act. It may be God's role to decide who is a pinhead, but I can still say, "that was a pinheaded thing to say."

Or "that was a fucking moronic, despicable thing to say."

I watched a sermon by the elder Ed Young last weekend. He was reflecting on Richard Nixon. He spoke of reading the published White House transcripts and discovering the "filth" that came out of the "repulsive" President's mouth over and over again. He spoke of how, after he heard Billy Graham was going to spend Nixon's last night in the White House with him, he wrote Graham "don't do it." And the response came back, "Does a shepherd run away from a sheep when it gets dark?"

God loved Richard Nixon. And He loves Pat Robertson. And asks us, I"m sad to say, for us to do the same.

Even when we think he does despicable things and quotes God to justify his actions. Worrying about what is blasphemous is not our job.

Robertson, the man who is one of God's sheep, shouldn't get kudos OR denigration from us.

Only his acts should get one or the other.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Formo
14 years ago

I'm not saying what he said was right or admirable. You fail in understanding this. My point: Have a stance and stick with it. Hot or cold.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

Oh my bad. Now I get your point. I thought you meant something completely different.

I give kudos to Hitler. I know 6 million dead jews sounds like a lot but hey, Hitler was doing what he knew in his heart was right. Gotta give much respect for him there.

I give kudos to all suicide bombers. They have a belief and are fighting for a cause.

I give kudos to the hijackers on the planes during 911. Sure, maybe it hurt some people but you know what. They were doing what they believed in and you gotta respect the hell out of them for it. And much respect to Bin Laden. Hey, none of it could have been possible without him.

"Formo" wrote:

I was unaware that Robertson killed millions of Haitians.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
digsthepack
14 years ago
It still comes down to a simply, unfortunate reality....no amount of money can help who are unwilling and/or uncapable of helping themselves.

Haiti is doomed until such a time that they get sound governance that invests in its population.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Gravedigga
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

"Gravedigga" wrote:

I was unaware that Robertson killed millions of Haitians.

"Formo" wrote:

Apparently thats not all you're unaware of.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Fan Shout
dfosterf (59m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.