wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

link 

Offensive Line

Chad Clifton LT: Began the season feeling good after four offseason surgeries (both knees and shoulders) but played his fewest games (12) since the 2002 season when he was hit by Warren Sapp. Sprained ankle in Week 2 began the string of injuries. Missed four of the next five games and didnt finish two others because of a hamstring injury. Pass protection was mostly solid, allowing 3 sacks. The worst run blocker and was charged with five negative runs. Also has a team-high 10 penalties. An unrestricted free agent this offseason that has a chance to be re-signed if only because the future left tackle isnt on the roster.

Daryn Colledge LG: Yielded a team-high 8 sacks and a team-high 6 negative runs but some of those came when he was filling in for Clifton, an experiment that ended after the Vikings Jared Allen abused him in the Metrodome. Took him a while to readjust to left guard. Had only three regular-season penalties (including only one hold) but had a costly holding penalty in overtime in the playoff loss. A restricted free agent this offseason, its not a given he will return and if he does, he might not have a starting job.

Scott Wells C: Lost his starting job to Jason Spitz in training camp but started the final 14 games plus the playoff game and had the best season of his six-year NFL career. Yielded four sacks, which was one-half more than last season, but he played in two more games this year. Was charged with six negative runs and four penalties (all holds). Excelled at making line calls and adjustments.

Josh Sitton RG: First-year starter was the most consistent of the group. Started all 16 games and allowed four sacks and 4 negative runs. The best run blocker of the group. Looks like a solid starter for years to come. Had four penalties (two holds, two false starts).

Mark Tauscher RT: Signed off the street on Oct. 12 after completing the rehab from his torn ACL in 2008 and started the final eight games plus the playoffs. Helped stabilize the pass protection unit, which gave up only 14 of its 51 sacks after Tauscher entered the lineup. Allowed just two sacks and 1 negative runs in his half season. Committed three penalties (one hold, two false starts) and played well enough to consider bringing him back for another year.

Allen Barbre T: Opened the season as the starting right tackle but couldnt block a tackling dummy. Gave up seven sacks and one negative run in just 10 appearances (seven starts), and by the end of the season he was inactive. In two years, has lost a starting guard job in training camp and a starting tackle spot less than halfway through the season. Committed three penalties (one false start, two holds).

T.J. Lang T: Rookie fourth-round pick looks like a future starter after playing in all 16 games (including two starts at left tackle and one at right tackle). Still to be determined is his best spot but probably could play both tackles and both guard spots. Allowed 5 sacks and 1 negative runs and committed three penalties (one hold, two false starts).

Evan Dietrich-Smith C/G: Made the team as a rookie free agent and played in 13 regular-season games plus the playoffs, mostly on special teams. A tough mauler, got a lot of snaps in practice because of injuries on the line and looks like a potential starting center some day.

Breno Giacomini T: Lost the starting right tackle job to Barbre in camp and for the second straight season was active for only one game. After a two-year free pass will have to show he can play in camp next summer.

Jason Spitz C: Beat out Wells for a starting spot in training camp in part because they wanted a bigger body in the middle but struggled, giving up two sacks and negative run in four starts before a back injury ended his season. Could be a candidate to move back to guard next season if Wells remains the center.

I took the link that Engineer had to Rob Demovsky's article where he graded the players. I removed the grades and kept the summaries for each of the linemen.
My question is who do you think GB should keep next year? Who do you think will be the starters next year?

Here are my choices:
LT TJ Lang
LG Spitz
C Wells
RG Sitton
RT Tauscher

I thought Lang showed enough to merit consideration as the stater next season.
Spitz/Wells- While Spitz began the season as the starting center he did struggle a bit in the roll and Wells was solid in the roll. Spitz is a quality lineman and may do better at the guard position.
Sitton earned another year at RG with his year.
Tauscher was excellent after his return from injury.

Also on the team- Dietrich-Smith, Giacomini, 2 draft picks.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Clifton may have thought he felt great. But his level has been lowered after feeling like crap for so long. If all 10 of my fingers hurt all the time. I would feel better if one was cut off.

Colledge gave up the most when out of position, and hurt.

Wells, great backup to have. Hope Spitz makes it back.

Sitton. Nothing but love for the guy.

Tauscher. Noticeably missing a step from years past. Not surprising considering, he is just now 1 year from his surgery. Hope a full off season of conditioning and full training camp brings him back to speed.

As for my starters next year, couple options

New,Lang,Spitz,Sitton,Tauscher

New, new,spitz,sitton,lang
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
:horse:

Keep:
starters: Sitton, Lang, hopefully Tausch.
backups: Colledge, Wells, maybe Dietrich-Smith.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
British
14 years ago
Both the GBPG and JSO writers have rated Wells considerably higher than Spitz in their season reports.

It was close between the two in training camp and this year has given Wells the chance to regain the advantage heading into the offseason. It looks like Wells' job to lose at the this point.

Sitton is a lock at RG.

The other three spots are up for grabs. I can see Lang being tried at either tackle spot due to the fact we're deeper at G and G is an easier position to fill. We have Colledge or Spitz for LG, both have started there in recent years.

So that leaves the bookends. Tauscher will probably be re-signed but they will certainly let Giacomini, Lang and probably Barbre compete for the job in training camp. I hope Giacomini wins the job, he has the build, and the upside for the job, and he lacks versatility so it's probably the only position he's suitable for.

On the left side there is a gaping hole. Clifton was barely adequate this year but may be the best LT free agent available so we probably try and re-sign him for depth. I hope either Lang or a new draft pick wins the position in training camp.

So:

LT - Lang or draft pick.
LG - Colledge or Spitz
C - Wells
RG - Sitton
RT - Giacomini or Tauscher

Backing up at C is Deitrich-Smith, with Barbre, Clifton and another draft pick filling out the group.

Depending on how training camp goes I could see Barbre being cut/traded like Moll to get down to the 53 man roster.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

Keep:
starters: Sitton, Lang, hopefully Tausch.
backups: Colledge, Wells, maybe Dietrich-Smith.

"Wade" wrote:

Should really be careful of where you beat those horses. That is disgusting.
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I think that Colledge will leave in FA. Tauscher not re-signed.

LT: Draft pick or Clifton
LG: Spitz
C: Wells
RG: Sitton
RT: Lang or Draft pick
blank
millertime
14 years ago
I wouldn't mind shipping out our first rounder to try and get a good LT, like Philly did to get Jason Peters from Buffalo. Maybe we could get Jamaal Brown form New Orleans, considering they have a cheaper back up who is almost as good.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I want the cheaper backup!
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Center of the line that can push defenses backwards on run plays.

316, 307, 322

Lang LG, Spitz C, Sitton RG
RainX
14 years ago
If I had to choose which of between Tauscher and Clifton to re-sign, it's easily Tauscher. After seeing Clifton hobble off the field a few times this season due to a bum ankle or a bad knee, it just goes to show we were fortunate to get what we did out of him this year. We will probably be targeting Clifton's replacement in the 1st round of the upcoming draft and could easily start that rookie going into camp. Unless you can re-sign Clifton for less than $2 million next season, let him walk.

Colledge will be back next season to compete for a job as a minimum-tendered RFA. No one is going to give up a second round pick to sign the guy and he isn't worth more than the minimum tender.

Lang is the most intriguing linemen going into next season. He showed some ability as a rookie and could be groomed as a successor to Tauscher at RT if we can get another year or two out of him. We've got enough depth on the interior of the line between Spitz, Colledge, Sitton, Dietrich-Smith, and Wells to where Lang can concentrate more on playing Tackle than an interior linemen position.

Really, the only position that is an absolute lock on that offensive line next year going into training camp is probably Sitton at RG. Every other position is speculative at best at this point.
blank