millertime
14 years ago
Lets keep it real and have some good discussion.

My "needs" list:

1. Getting an stud left tackle and shoring up the o-line.

Protecting Aaron Rodgers better should be at the top of TT's offseason plan, (especially after the last play of our season). I would be willing to ship a 1st and 3rd round pick (similar to what the Vikings gave up for Jared Allen), to get a legitimate LT. It may mean trading with a rebuilding team (Philly shipped a 1st to Buffalo last year for Jason Peters - Pro Bowler this season) or trading up to draft one of the studs OT from this years draft. I am confident that Lang can be our RT of the future. Keeping Wells at center and shifting Spitz back to guard may be in the best interest of our team.

Dream =

UserPostedImage

2. Keeping our core players. Nick Collins and Ryan Picket need to be payed. Jolly has proven his worth, and will likely sign a fair deal given his legal troubles. Hawk and Donald Lee need to be restructured, and, IMO, will be willing to accept a pay cut as long as we agree to pay them slightly more than they could get on the open market. Players like Bigby, Tramon Williams, and Spitz are ideal candidates to sign to 1st or 2nd round tenders. They are borderline starters who know they are restricted in their movement. They will likely be willing to play a one year "prove-it" contract in order to get paid or traded next offseason.

3. Revamping our special teams. I hoped we'd make a play for Bobby April. I still believe in Crosby. We need a new punter. It is time to focus on keeping our best special teams guys, even if they can't contribute on defense or offense. Letting go of our best special teamers in past offseasons because they didn't fit (ie: Tracy White and Jason Hunter) really bit us in the ass this year. Getting a game breaking return man is difficult, but drafting undersized speedsters in the first three rounds (Harvin, DeSean Jackson, etc) would give us a legitimate threat to take it to the house on every return.

Good teams can coast through the regular season with bad special teams, but come playoff time, every yard of field position matters.

My "wish" list:

4. Finding out what our injured guys can do.

I'm a lot higher on Pat Lee than I am on Justin Harrell. If we can get any sort of contribution out of either guy, I would be thrilled. Blackmon is valuable depth at CB and as a returner, but I am not sure if he is the answer at either position.

5. Giving Grant some help. Jackson is a decent third down back, but has underwhelmed during his time here. Like him or not, Grant was one of the most productive RBs in the NFL this season. Like other primary back (ie. Michael Turner), Grant takes a lot of pounding. Finding a complimentary back will not only keep Grant fresh into the 4th quarter but also prolong his career. Ideas: getting a speedster in the middle of the draft like Brandon James from Florida or Joe McKnight from USC.)

6. More depth on defense. Now it's time for Dom Capers to continue to get "his guys." He and Ted Thompson struck gold with Matthews, Raji, and Jones last year. This may be the year to get some depth at safety, DE, and OLB.

7. Keeping team hungry!!!

We played way to many game this past season with little emotion (Bengals and Bucs games come to mind). It might be time to hire another Kevin Greene type coach to keep our players on edge. We don't want to be one of the 5-6 teams to not reach the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

What do you think?
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Mine list is pretty simple. LT, LG, RT 2 of them three. And ILB, OLB and S.

We need pass protection, run blocking, pass rush and coverage over the middle.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I would be happy if Ted brought everyone back from this year, then trade his top 2 draft picks for stud cb, use the rest of draft picks on O-lineman and db's and see if any can make the team.

Qb position solid
Rb position solid
wr position better than most
o-line solid after Tauscher returned(clifton 1 more year chad you can do it)
d-line solid
lb'rs better than most
cb's better than most but no depth
safety's too many injury proned players on roster right now, time to go another direction.
I want this team mostly in tack when they start the 2010 season, 11-6 is nothing to scoff at, every guy on the team is only going to get better with another year under their belts.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Yerko
14 years ago
Nice list millertime and yes, Joe Thomas does= a dream.

"Needs list"

1. This is the very first thing the Packers should do and that is, revamp this offensive line. Unfortunately, I do not think the Packers can rely much more on Clifton and Tauscher. They have been great to the organization, but with the way defensive ends are right now with their speed AND strength, I just wouldn't put 100% into these two anymore.
1a. RT can be taken over by T.J. Lang. I have seen more than enough from this guy and he can play. Great footwork from a rookie.
1b. Darren Colledge is alright in my view to continue at the LG position. Yes, he sometimes worries me but this is the least of the Packers worries on the o-line.
1c. LT needs to be a blue-chip prospect from the draft. Bryan Bulaga (Iowa-LT) is seen to be the 4th OT to be taken in the draft. I think the Packers should do what they need to, to get this player in green and gold. He is solid and would immediately contribute.

2. Pick up another safety through the draft that can immediately contribute or through free agency. I am up and down with Bigby. He can make the big hits and sometimes make the big play, but he is severely injury prone.

3. Get guys like Collins, Hawk, Pickett and Jolly resigned. As much as it seems that some were down on Hawk this year, I think he proved himself worthy of his position. I hated to see him get less snaps this season. Collins, Pickett, and Jolly showed they are beasts.

4. Special teams return man and a punter. Since Ted likes to find the "secret jewels" in the draft, I have confidence that he will find a KR/PR in the draft. Please, do not let Jordy Nelson take another KR/PR, he is a good WR. Jeremy Kapinos ranks the lowest, in avg. punt (I believe).

"Wish list"
1. Completely rid of Allen Barbre or practice squad him.

2. With millertime on this one, find a complimentary running back for Ryan Grant. I liked Grant a lot this season and I think with someone who differs from his smashmouth, downhill style of running would help this team.

3. Personally, I had seen enough drops from Donald Lee and if someone were to come up at the tight end position in free agency, I wouldn't mind seeing them add that player and drop Lee. (I might get yelled at for this). Spencer Havner, who wasn't even supposed to be playing had a better season than Donald Lee. I will stick with that comparison. Looking at the FA tight ends this off season, I see some good names.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
Anyone look at the free agent crop?

It's weak.

The only player I'd consider is Tyrone Carter or Ryan Clark. Preferably Clark, who could possibly move to SS and start ahead of Atari Bigby. I think Carter could too though.

Beyond that I'm thinking trade and draft.

Needs are

LT
RT
CB
SS
OLB

That's how I look at it in no particular order.

If the Packers feel Al Harris and Pat Lee solve their secondary problems, then I'm willing to see them take a chance with those two.

Trading for Joe Thomas probably is off the radar now that Mike Holmgren is running the show. He knows the value of a great LT. Plus, it'd take two first rounders and I'm not sure Thompson wants to do that.

I'd call San Diego about Shawn Merrimen. He's just getting healthy again and I think he'll explode back on the scene once he's full healthy. He could be dealt this off-season. Probably a second rounder gets him.

I agree that extending players should high on the list. Pickett and Collins are the two I talk too.
TengoJuego
14 years ago
Ryan Clark would be a nice and welcomed addition. Especially with his familiarity in the defense.

Picking up a franchise Tackle(left or right)

Kampman getting the franchise tag. (I dont want to see him go)

3. Personally, I had seen enough drops from Donald Lee and if someone were to come up at the tight end position in free agency, I wouldn't mind seeing them add that player and drop Lee. (I might get yelled at for this). Spencer Havner, who wasn't even supposed to be playing had a better season than Donald Lee. I will stick with that comparison. Looking at the FA tight ends this off season, I see some good names.

I agreed with this. And, honestly, we can survive with 2 TE's. And maybe hang onto all three FBs again. Although, on second thought, maybe just keep 2 FB's and fill another position.

Unusual wish: White pants. lol I want to see some white pants. I love white on white combos.
shield4life
14 years ago

Ryan Clark would be a nice and welcomed addition. Especially with his familiarity in the defense.

Picking up a franchise Tackle(left or right)

Kampman getting the franchise tag. (I dont want to see him go)

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I agreed with this. And, honestly, we can survive with 2 TE's. And maybe hang onto all three FBs again. Although, on second thought, maybe just keep 2 FB's and fill another position.

Unusual wish: White pants. lol I want to see some white pants. I love white on white combos.

If you really want to destroy Kampman carrer then you keep him in GB. I don't know why anyone would want to keep him here. I love the guy and all but it's better for him and the Packers if he goes to another team.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
RainX
14 years ago
LT is a premium position in this league, and Thompson isn't going to be willing to give up a king's ransom to get one. He's more content sitting on his draft picks and picking where they are. Clay Matthews was an aberration imo. There's a big difference between giving up a second and two thirds in the same draft to move up into the first round versus giving up 1st round picks in consecutive seasons like the Bears did to get Cutler.

What I'd like to see happen:

- Transition Tag Aaron Kampman: Yes, I'll be the first to admit it's a risky move to place it on a guy who is coming off a torn ACL, who is aging, and doesn't necessarily fit the new scheme. Here me out though first. This tag will still allow Kampman to hit the FA market and see what is out there for someone in his position and will give the Packers 7 days to match any offer he may receive. The Packers can either match it or let him walk without any compensation to the other team which is still something that would happen if they let him hit FA regardless. Assuming he'd sign the tender and come back, you still control his rights and have until the trade deadline next October to move him to a team looking for help at DE. With no cap for teams to worry about and only a commitment for the remainder of the season, Kampman could turn into pretty good trade bait and net the Packers a pick in the '11 draft if he can come back and still prove to be effective. The obvious downside is you could end up being stuck with an ineffective and expensive KGB kind of player, but for someone who has been a team player and good locker room presence for his entire time in GB, I think it's a risk worth taking.

- Franchise Tag Ryan Pickett: IF you can't get a long-term deal done for him before he'd hit FA. Depth on the defensive line is critical as '08 proved and Pickett showed he can play the nose in the 3-4. Raji is versatile enough to play any of the 3 D-Line positions. We had a very stout run defense after the Cincy game and it'd be nice to bring back the same core guys who were part of that this season.

- Re-sign Mark Tauscher & let Chad Clifton walk: We saw a familiar sight in the Cardinals game. Chad Clifton being helped off the field and sitting on the bench nursing an ankle sprain. I think anyone who paid attention to the offensive line could see the writing on the wall for Clifton after this season. The tread on the tires are pretty much worn. After suffering that major pelvic injury in 2002 from that Warren Sapp hit and needing surgery on both knees last off-season just to get through '09, committing to more than a one year deal for more than a couple of million dollars is to high of a price to pay for him. Tauscher on the other hand still probably has at least one if not two seasons left. He'll have this off-season to let his knee continue to rest and is probably willing to take a reasonable offer to stay in GB while we continue to groom someone like Lang to eventually take over for him.

RFA tenders: (operating under the assumption there will be an uncapped year)

- Daryn Colledge - Minimum Tender (2nd Round '06)
- Jason Spitz - Minimum Tender (3rd Round '06)
- Will Blackmon - Minimum Tender (4th Round '06)
- John Kuhn - Minimum Tender (UDFA '05)
- Derrick Martin - Minimum Tender (6th Round '06 w/Baltimore)
- Atari Bigby - Second Round Tender
- Tramon Williams - Second Round Tender
- Nick Collins - Maximum Tender

Colledge, Spitz, and Blackmon will be back at minimum tenders due to their respective draft positions. Teams will probably not being willing to give up the draft compensation required to get them. Kuhn probably isn't going to be given anything more than a minimum tender too despite being an UDFA with Hall still under contract and QJ the Hammer waiting in the wings. Martin still has some question marks, but he's a solid special teams guy and a team could conceivably give up a 6th rounder if they need help of special teams. I gave both Bigby and Williams second tenders since both were UDFA when they entered the league and are still important starting parts to the defense. Williams could conceivably receive a 1st round tender if the Packers feel they could lose him. Nick Collins receives the maximum tender by default. He made 3 million in the last season of his rookie contract where he had another pro bowl year. The maximum tender comes with a salary of a bit over 3 million, so you can be darn sure he's not going to take a penny less. He's probably also a prime candidate for a hold out so it's key the Packers get a long term deal done with him once they get Pickett hopefully signed.
blank
TengoJuego
14 years ago

If you really want to destroy Kampman carrer then you keep him in GB. I don't know why anyone would want to keep him here. I love the guy and all but it's better for him and the Packers if he goes to another team.

"shield4life" wrote:

That's fine if thats what you think. I cant hate you for having an opinion. I just dont feel the same way about that.

Kampman is way past his 17 sack seasons, if you ask me. A 6-10 sack season is more than enough production from him. And, he really doesn't have to be our premier pass rusher anymore. We will have a handful of pass rushers to provide pressure and sacks.

And besides, who else is worthy or most sensible of getting the tag?
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Wish List

Joe Thomas
Darelle Revis
Brian Dawkins
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (17m) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (2h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (15h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (21h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (22h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (22h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.