longtimefan
14 years ago
Stop whining about it, :)

Vikings still would have lost LOL

But I agree both teams should have a chance at it
joym13
14 years ago

I like the college rules. Gives BOTH teams a chance. At first i didn't like the college rules, but after watching a few OT's, i enjoyed it.
If you "only" kick a FG, your D has to hold the other team from a TD.

BOTH teams get an equal chance, and it doesn't come down to a coin toss.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I don't mind the way the NCAA does it, but it seems too easy for the pros, they are given the ball basically in field goal range already. So if they went to a similar style OT, they need to change it a bit. I think they should have to kick off and put together a drive if they are going to go to that rule.
blank
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
A friend and I were talking about it last night.. He coaches 2 teams (one high school and one semi-pro), and is the most football intelligent guy I know.. I can't remember the stuff we came up with, but they were still better than the current NFL rules.

Like I said here.. Kick off like it's a whole new game. If the receiving team scores any points, the next team gets the very same field position as the first team. From there, run it like NCAA rules. If it continues as a tie then after x amount of time, the first team to 4 points, wins. That would help with the fatigue factor, yet still be fair enough for both teams.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
gbguy20
14 years ago

TV deals would have to be reworked before they made any change to the OT rules to include an extra quarter. As it is now games are getting cut off early due to TV restrictions. I doubt the NFL would be OK with damn near an entire quarter not getting televised.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

If there's any TV network stupid enough to cut off an NFL game in overtime, especially after the Heidi Bowl, they deserve to have their NFL rights taken away.

"gbguy20" wrote:

ITS NFL broadcasting rules, if early games go too long they can only stay on it so long before they are required to cover the next game, the networks don't have a choice in the matter.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Wasn't thinking about a game coming up right after the first one. In that case, they have no choice. But isn't that somewhat of a problem, already? I mean, if a game goes into OT, it often finishes when the 4:05 and 4:15 games have already started.

"gbguy20" wrote:

yes it is already a problem, but in the end you really only end up missing a couple minutes of a game. If the NFL goes to overtime being a whole nother quarter, or something much longer than the current setup, the rules regarding broadcasting should have to be tweaked, because I doubt the NFL is going to be ok with an entire quarter of overtime going unseen.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Just slight change

I would like things basically the same, except. On the first possession in OT, 6 points wins, 3 doesn't automatically. If the first team gets stopped and only scores a FG, the other team gets a chance to tie it with a FG or win with a TD. If the second team doesn't match the first wins.

I think this would make the teams play harder instead of settling for a FG. If each team scores a FG in OT then it goes to normal sudden death and next score wins.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
14 years ago
I'd just like to see the luck element removed.

Both teams get the same opportunity - to score. However, you must score as much as your other opponent.

i.e Team 1 scores a field goal on 1st posession

Team 2 scores a TD on 1st posession - team two wins.

If the defensive team scores off a turnover, game done.

Shootout.

As much as it pains me to say, any team that falls to a one-way OT based on the flip of the coin, can feel hard done by. Eventhebi-queens
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
I was talking about this on a college board earlier this week:

Since the NFL adopted OT back in 1974 the team that won the coin toss wins the game about 52% of the time. Since they moved the kickoff back 5 yards to the 30 the team that wins the coin toss ends up winning the game about 60% of the time.

There have been a few suggestions to alleviate playing for a FG.
-Teams need to win by 6 points. But that could drag things on and on. A 3 hour game can now go 4 hours or more and that would reek havoc with the TV networks.
-Guaranteeing both team one possession of the ball would be another.
- moving the kick off back up to the 35 in OT. (The idea I prefer but you can add the win by 6 points to it as well. You can also say that after 3 possesions by each team 3 points can win the game.)

I actually like the current system. If you (NFL coach) don't want to risk an overtime loss where you may not even see the ball don't play for a tie.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
I was at the Minn at GB game back in 1978. Extremely cold that day. I was wearing a snowmobile suit, boots and gloves and I was cold by the end of the game.

The fans were ready to leave no matter WHO won the game. They just wanted it to end. Late in OT Bud Grant had MN line up for an easy FG attempt on 3rd down. The crowd booed when they missed it.

Drove thru rain down around Milwaukee. It turned to ice for about 20 minutes and then the blizzard set in. It took me over 3 hours to get from the north side of Chicago to the south suburbs where my wife-to-be and her family lived.

I still had 2 hours of normal driving to get home. I was not allowed to leave. Both my mother (via phone) and hers would not allow me to get back on the road.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Man WPR!!!
And you didn't even say HOW the game ended!
I had to look it up, to see it ENDED at a 10-10 tie.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I was at a game at old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington once. Upper level. Wore long underwear plus a snowmobile suit plus a parka....and still froze.

Brockington ran all over the Vikings. Something like 150 yards.

And the damn Purple People Eaters won, something like 9-7.

We used to go to the Pack/Vik game at Metropolitan every year....and every year those damn Vikings won. Only time I've ever seen Packers win a game in person were two preseason games --- one at Lambeau and one at Camp Randall.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.